Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Costco organic turkey sale

Options
Lit
Lit Posts: 9,053
Not sure if all are doing it but they were $15 off and only $2.99 a lb at the Cumming GA store. This was a little under 13 lbs and came out to $23 and change. 

Comments

• Markarm4119
    Options
    Thanks for the PSA 
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Do you plan on wet or dry brining it, even though it's at a 5% solution already?  I'm still figuring out where to get  a fresh bird.  
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Lit
    Options
    500 said:
    Do you plan on wet or dry brining it, even though it's at a 5% solution already?  I'm still figuring out where to get  a fresh bird.  
    I’ll still do like a 12 hour soak. Will probably cut back the salt a little in the brine.
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Are those frozen?  If not will it last another 10 days? 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • Lit
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    Mine went straight into the freezer. We are going out of town for thanksgiving so not sure when I’m gonna cook it. Might be a Christmas bird. 
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    Looks like it has a sell by date of 11/29.  I would start mine in the dry brine by the 25th, so it won't be a problem to get it now.  A butcher at Kroger told me they will start getting birds in soon and they will be fresh through Thanksgiving.  I think I'll head to Costco soon to get the size I'm looking for, 12 - 14#.  Thanks @Lit for the heads up.  
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • GoooDawgs
    Options
    Thanks @Lit I'll go pick up a couple.  I think I'm going to try and remove all the bones and roll it up this year.   
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    Thanks @Lit I'll go pick up a couple.  I think I'm going to try and remove all the bones and roll it up this year.   
    @GoooDawgs  Good idea.  I can vouch it works well, and is a great space saver. 
    Roughly the same sized birds and the top was deboned.

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • GoooDawgs
    Options
    Awesome @Sea2Ski! How were the different cook times? Did you put the top one on an hour or so after the big bird below?
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    @GoooDawgs actually, the deboned one took longer.  I attribute this because it is more compact due to it being tied, and it was not subjected
    to direct heat.  FYI, I always heat the egg up to 425-450 or so for a good 45 mins to get more radiant heat from the dome to get a crispy skin, then bank it back to where I think it will be 375-400F when I put the birds on.
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • flexfusion
    Options
    Can anyone out there  please explain to me what is a organic turkey?  Thank you!
    Auburn, Alabama
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Can anyone out there  please explain to me what is a organic turkey?  Thank you!
    "Raised without hormones and steroids and have been processed without preservatives. In addition they have been fed only organic feed and have ready access to the outdoors."
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota