Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tritip help

Options
Ive got 2 prime tritips to cook tomorrow.  How should i egg them?  Thanks for help!

Comments

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    If you type in Tri Tip using the search feature, top right you will find some awesome recipes.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    @DiamondRCattle.. Also welcome sir, have fun..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Welcome, start with the flavors YOU like...i like a basic SPG on my beef, personally I cook mine totally different for a crowd VS just a couple people ...i like a bark on mine so tend to do that over open flame then move...i go to a higher IT than most when cooking for crowds and slice thinner...there is no wrong way...cook it basic the first time , always let it rest, slice ACROSS the grain and the grain moves on tritip

Enjoy 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Spillin
    Spillin Posts: 75
    Options
    I've always done theme reverse sear and they come out fantastic.  Pull at 115IT and then sear for a couple minutes a side.  Definitely rest and for sure cut across the grain
    LG BGE
    36" Blackstone
    Weber Genisis
    Cold IPA on tap!
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    In addition to the grain mentioned above, keep the slices thin.
    Stillwater, MN
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    In addition to the grain mentioned above, keep the slices thin.
    What he said 👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Here is a wonderful marinade I have used:  

https://www.food.com/recipe/vs-tri-tip-marinade-310086

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Options
    I like reverse sear. Egg at 400, fire off to one side, tritip on the other (on my XL). Let it go to 120* IT, flipping a couple of times.

Remove and open up the vents, pull the grate, knock the coals a couple of times and set the tritip directly on the coals, 30-45 seconds per side, 2-3 times and let it rest 15-20 min.

As said before, cut across the grain, it runs 2 ways in a tritip
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Reverse sear for the win! I like to go a little harder in the seasonings so more like a brisket than a steak for me in the seasoning. I also don’t add wood for steaks but for a tri tip id throw a chunk on the fire 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    375⁰F for 40 mins raised indirect, using a couple chunks of oak and pecan for smoke,  after using a Mediterranean marinade for 12-24 hours. Let sit for at least 20 mins in tented foil.

Turns out alright
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    375⁰F for 40 mins raised indirect, using a couple chunks of oak and pecan for smoke,  after using a Mediterranean marinade for 12-24 hours. Let sit for at least 20 mins in tented foil.

Turns out alright
    Beauty 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Options
    Image result for how to cut tri tip
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • gnatnoop
    Options
    helpfull, matt86m, thanks....
  • bajatom2
    Options
    I use the Santa Maria seasoning  s&p, garlic salt.well seasoned and grill at about 450 to an IT around 139/135. Good luck on your cook.