Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I've had worse Sundays...

Recently bumped into another egghead in my part of the swamp. @HTXRebelSmoker said he was going to swing by a butcher on Saturday, and things kinda took off.

He brought the groceries, and I provided the accoutrements. Samosa pinwheels for the apps. Homemade buns and rolls for burgers and sausage ( jalapeno, jalapeno cheddar, venison). Broccoli marinated in Italian dressing, which was tasty and new to me. Poppers dusted with DP Pineapple Head. Bacon... 'coz bacon! Beet strawberry sorbet for dessert (not pictured). A good few beers.

The sausage sammies really turned out. Homemade rolls, peppers and onions, homemade garlic aioli, squirt of mustard, pimiento cheese, more onions... Dang!

The kids spent most of the day in the pool, and probably ate their body weight in popsicles. Bonus to be able to celebrate  Pops' birthday at home again. 

A day well spent with family and friends. I think I'm winning :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Looks like an awesome day buddy!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    That all looks wonderful! Time spent with family and friends is icing on the cake.
    Stillwater, MN
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Great looking spread right there.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    A day with family and friends is always a winner. Good food, a pool, and beers make it even better. Those kids will remember those days too - and do it with their children. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    you are definitely winning!  how do i make a samosa pinwheel? that looks tasty.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    blind99 said:
    you are definitely winning!  how do i make a samosa pinwheel? that looks tasty.

Pretty easy. Here's where I started:

https://www.ruchiskitchen.com/veggie-pinwheels-party-appetizer/

My changes - I used half (each) of a red and green bell pepper, more onions, minced ginger, coriander, cilantro, and more cumin. Made the potato mix the night before. Was feeling lazy so didn't make the dough. Plus I had a sheet of puff pastry that needed to be used up.  

Bake until browned on both sides. I egged 4 of these (375F, raised direct, higher in the dome), just to test, and they were better than the oven version.  

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    nice, i'll have to make this, or some variation. 

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Winning.  Definitely winning.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Very nice spread.
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Championship caliber across the board. I enjoyed every bit of it.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    edited August 2019
    Nice meeting your Pop (pic #2?) and wishing him happy BD, great spread as usual, have to look into that samosa pinwheel thing. Was kind of startled when I first read the thread title, if I did something even close, my thread title would be I've had a hard-to-beat Sunday !
    canuckland
  • Looks to be one heck of a day . . . with a wide spread of great looking eats
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • caliking
    Nice meeting your Pop (pic #2?) and wishing him happy BD, great spread as usual, have to look into that samosa pinwheel thing. Was kind of startled when I first read the thread title, if I did something even close, my thread title would be I've had a hard-to-beat Sunday !
    Thanks, Gary. My weak attempt at humor :)

The samosa pinwheels are simple, look neat, and tasty. The filling can be tweaked all kinds of ways. I added cotija cheese to the last batch and some guests really liked that. Could even add meat to the filling to make them mo' bettah.

The egged version turned out crispier, and seemed to brown better than the oven version. I'll probably egg them next time. 

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Lawd have mercy. Going for greatness on this one.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Nicely done sir!!

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Great day for sure!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • way to break 'em in right! All looks awesome as usual.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Looks lake a great day with great food.  It all looks amazing - Those pinwheels are now on my to-do list.  Thanks for posting.
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • caliking
    way to break 'em in right! All looks awesome as usual.
    Hey man, I'm not one to discourage anybody from bringing a few hrs worth of meat to be eaten (with sides) to my pad. God knows I have enough charcoal.