Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Making charcoal

Options
2»

Comments

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,711
    Options
    You probably can
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I got my XL BGE brand new with all the accessories for 600. The furniture store was dropping BGE and wanted to clear out inventory. For that deal, I couldn't turn it down ;) 
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    ColtsFan said:

I had a chuckle myself. Im all for it though but I did find that funny. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • WildmanWilson
    Options
    ColtsFan said:

I wasn’t arguing with anyone. Just stating why I wanted to do it personally. If everything we do was about time or money we would do much in this day and age. I can certainly afford to buy a bag of charcoal. I simply want to try something new and get a better product possibly. I have guys laugh that I spend time hunting deer or turkey when I can just go to the supermarket. It’s not all about time and money. Why grow a garden and sweat and slave pulling weeds? The farmers market has everything with little to no effort.

I’m a country boy and maybe not the smartest but I’m not one to shy away a challenge. It may be a one time deal but I’m not out anything but that all important times and sweat. 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,361
    Options
    ColtsFan said:

I wasn’t arguing with anyone. Just stating why I wanted to do it personally. If everything we do was about time or money we would do much in this day and age. I can certainly afford to buy a bag of charcoal. I simply want to try something new and get a better product possibly. I have guys laugh that I spend time hunting deer or turkey when I can just go to the supermarket. It’s not all about time and money. Why grow a garden and sweat and slave pulling weeds? The farmers market has everything with little to no effort.

I’m a country boy and maybe not the smartest but I’m not one to shy away a challenge. It may be a one time deal but I’m not out anything but that all important times and sweat. 
    I get it.

I actually appreciate your desire to try it. Just a little humor at your expense. Nothing personal.

Please post your results 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,047
    Options
    Go for it! It doesn't have to make sense. Most hobbies or things in life dont. I could go out and buy a 30K fishing boat and tackle to catch fish or have someone else catch it that morning and buy it for $20. Is it the fish that's worth 30K or the experience fishing? 

Hell, how many of us own commercial slicers? I don't think we are slicing 50lbs of meat daily. They get used every other month? Twice a year? Every other year? It doesn't make sense but it doesn't mean that we shouldn't own them.

If making lump charcoal peeks your interest go for it. Hobbies or things we like to do don't always make sense. It's the experience where the value is at most of the time. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,195
    Options
    If we all bought pulled pork in a tub from the grocery store, we wouldnt have big green eggs, and thats stupid.  I say make the charcoal.  I think its cool.  Or were we talking about pulled pork?  I get distracted.
  • Markarm4119
    Markarm4119 Posts: 526
    Options
    Keep us posted on the outcome. Like you, I will use $10 worth of stuff in my shop to repair something that cost $8, cost effective, hell no, but personally rewarding.
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    I agree with the others that say go for it if it satisfies your urge .  I have some pigs, cows and goats - now 6 geese. I could just buy pork, burgers and find some goat meat. Nahhh... too easy, and I like raising the animals.  Then we needed storage, so instead of buying a couple standup fridges, we built a walk in cooler.

Build it big, make it awesome, take however long it takes to do it right, and love every minute of it. If you do that, you are living your life, not being a passive survivor. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Plus, where will you get your charcoal after the apocalypse?  (on second thought, maybe that's a bad example since everything will be burned down to the ground)....
    edited July 2019
    Options
    @gym not to be hypercritical but a fair number of those pieces don't look fully carbonized to me.  
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    @WildmanWilson the following video may be of interest to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDH6mt_vsto

LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    ColtsFan said:

Im 100% in on you doing this. I was just laughing at your lecturing of the guy who wakes up
    and does this every day. To feed his family. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,991
    Options
    I had a hobby many years ago as a kid. I saved up a bunch of money and bought a chemistry set and a microscope. I got hooked on making things, blowing stuff up, and creating some very smelly mistakes.

Stayed with it and made a career out of it.

There is nothing better than having priorities in life my friend, and if this in your wheelhouse, then by all means necessary, swing for the fences.

We, Suzy and I, are often thought crazy, (especially at our age) for the dedication we exhibit towards our hobby, which is climbing and summiting. I/1000th of the effort is the climb, itself. The rest  of the effort is preparing to do it.

Those who do understand this passion we have, are easy to spot; We meet them at the top.

Every triumphant view, has been worth every grueling climb.

Raising a glass to you @WildmanWilson

See you at the top.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Gym
    Gym Posts: 366
    Options
    mahenryak said:
    @gym not to be hypercritical but a fair number of those pieces don't look fully carbonized to me.  
    Ya, it wasn't my best batch but it was the only pic I could find
  • SandyHookEgger
    Options
    If i could go out to a steakhouse and get a quality cut that tasted great for less than the cost of buying/making it myself, I would. I guess that's just me. 
    Based on those metrics, I'm surprised you're not an Akorn owner.
    Great Nola, I have been contemplating purchasing a n Akron Jr. Now you have ruined it.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    I had a hobby many years ago as a kid. I saved up a bunch of money and bought a chemistry set and a microscope. I got hooked on making things, blowing stuff up, and creating some very smelly mistakes.

Stayed with it and made a career out of it.

There is nothing better than having priorities in life my friend, and if this in your wheelhouse, then by all means necessary, swing for the fences.

We, Suzy and I, are often thought crazy, (especially at our age) for the dedication we exhibit towards our hobby, which is climbing and summiting. I/1000th of the effort is the climb, itself. The rest  of the effort is preparing to do it.

Those who do understand this passion we have, are easy to spot; We meet them at the top.

Every triumphant view, has been worth every grueling climb.

Raising a glass to you @WildmanWilson

See you at the top.
    You've ruined "climbing a mountain" as a metaphor for me, as you literally do it....and often...

Options
    My main reason to do it was to get more pieces that are good size. I hate buying a bag and half is crumbs. I’ve seen people use metal drums successfully. Pretty low tech. I live next to a 50 acre woods with a ton of wood to burn so that’s not an issue. I know the work involved may be more than some want but Ive never been afraid of a little work plus I enjoy doing things that are DIY.... I’ve made most of my turkey calls because it’s enjoyable to do. Not sure about the cost effectiveness of it..

I doubt I turn it into a business but I’m intrigue non the less. 
    WildmanWilson...can I just call you Gary?  Nevermind.

I see what you did there  ;)
    canuckland
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,239
    Options
    It’s time to bring back this gem. If this isn’t the funniest thing you see today, well then you’re having an awesome day. Enjoy! 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TBb9O-aW4zI
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,105
    Options
    It’s time to bring back this gem. If this isn’t the funniest thing you see today, well then you’re having an awesome day. Enjoy! 

Funny $hit right there.
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• WildmanWilson
    Options
    ColtsFan said:

Im 100% in on you doing this. I was just laughing at your lecturing of the guy who wakes up
    and does this every day. To feed his family. 

I didn’t mean it as a lecture. I was saying the reason I wanted to try it was to get more lump that isn’t all beat to dust like I get when buying it. There is the satisfaction of making it but it has a reason behind it. I know it won’t all come out in big chunks but I can have more control to at least some degree. 

• WildmanWilson
    Options

Hey, they laughed when someone starting selling bottled water too. Nothing would surprise me now. Lol. 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,608
    Options
    Saw this yesterday.

canuckland