Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

To split it not to split, that is the questions.

Options
Do I split wings into pieces or leave them whole. I plan to cook indirect on an elevated rack at 375-400.

Comments

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    I'm sure everyone has their preference, but put me down for pieces.
    Stillwater, MN
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    I’d cool whole and split afterwards. Easier to manage on the bbq this way. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,343
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Okay- if you like to deal with pieces after the cook and have a crowd (or your own appetite) for the same cuts/pieces-no brainer.  Now, if you prefer flappers to drummers and like a totally different flavor profile than others, "split now or  forever hold your peace".
    Make a decision and go (you then own it-and that's a good thing!)-many ways to get there and you just have to own where you land!  Never mind how to cook  'em.  That could axle-wrap this discussion.  B)  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    We always have liked splitting the 3 pieces apart with a sharp knife and pitching the tiny "pointers".
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Dunno. I've never cooked wings... never saw the point.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,340
    Options
    Less to flip if they are complete and easy to rip apart when eating 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Dunno. I've never cooked wings... never saw the point.
    Now that is tough-never have eaten wings raw! 
    har, har, har...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    Less to flip if they are complete and easy to rip apart when eating 
    Use a pigtail to flip, takes mere seconds. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Bunch of pansies! Use your fingers for flipping..after the first dozen or so times the feeling is gone anyway.

JKOC.

Split them all. Marinade, rub, let set in the fridge throw on raised indirect. After the first full pour of bourbon is gone, flip. Make second full pour of bourbon and consume.
    Then remove wings and eat.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    RRP said:
    We always have liked splitting the 3 pieces apart with a sharp knife and pitching the tiny "pointers".
    Agree on tossing the points, but, toss them into a freezer bag and when you have enough, the Instapot will make some great chicken broth .....
    Actually I have done that a couple of times. When all said and done IMO it wasn't worth the effort! 

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    I'd rather flip 24 whole wings than 48 smaller wing pieces.  
    I don't have Jackson/Hutcherson skilz!

https://youtu.be/hSPJ96pRTI0  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• SmokeyLopey
    SmokeyLopey Posts: 435
    Options
    We cut ours up beforehand. And, since I cook indirect, I don't flip. All this talk about flipping makes me wonder if I'm doing it wrong.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I buy mine from a butcher already split because that’s just my preference. No right or wrong here. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SmokeyLopey
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    I buy mine from a butcher already split because that’s just my preference. No right or wrong here. 
    Never thought to ask for that. I hate to sound silly, but how much does your butcher charge to cut them up? 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Never thought to ask for that. I hate to sound silly, but how much does your butcher charge to cut them up? 
    Nothing. They sell them pre-vac sealed in 5# packs. No difference in price and high quality wings. Just like your butcher shouldn’t charge to French a rack of lamb or spatchcock a chicken. Never asked for either but making the point. 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Leave them whole. Less to flip plus you get the best of both worlds while eating them. Never understood wanting just the flap or just drummies. Either you like wings or you dont. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• bgebrent
    Options
    Leave them whole. Less to flip plus you get the best of both worlds while eating them. Never understood wanting just the flap or just drummies. Either you like wings or you dont. 
    Personally prefer flappers. Many a thread here posing the question over the years. I believe you get better skin with  the smaller parts. Probably just me. 
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    I can buy them presplit and I now only buy the flats since my wife converted.. thank god  :):):)
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    cook the wingettes in the center over indirect, cook the drummettes direct on the outside perimeter. i think that was cazzys setup, im sold on it. rotate grid and flip pieces as needed
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I leave 'em whole. I find them easier to cut after they are cooked, plus less to flip

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    I do it thirdeye's way:  Whole with some trimming...

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1997/05/chicken-wings.html

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    This works for me!

https://youtu.be/25SLTtOXGEU

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    this is the easiest way split and cooked on an egg in a fry basket, flip them in a big bowl and back into the basket, less than a half minute to flip a couple dozen wings

Image result for chicken wings fishlessman kub mini

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jeponline
    jeponline Posts: 290
    Options
    Costco also sells them split.  If i'm going to make wings, that's what I get.
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I like both ways, but my wife prefers them whole so that is usually how I make them. I  trim off some of the excess skin if needed. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Some times I twist their arms. IMO...
    Pros: looks nice; less work prepping; no tip waste; space saving.
    Cons: don't get 360 carmelized/crispy skin; hard to eat with one hand.

canuckland
  • SmokeyLopey
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    bgebrent said:
    Nothing. They sell them pre-vac sealed in 5# packs. No difference in price and high quality wings. Just like your butcher shouldn’t charge to French a rack of lamb or spatchcock a chicken. Never asked for either but making the point. 
    @bgebrent--butcher was glad to split wings for me. I buy chickens from him and always have him cut those on half...should have been obvious he would cut up wings.
  • SmokeyLopey
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Nice looking wings...and great picture, @Canugghead.