Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cold Smoked Shrimp Po' Boy

Options

While ruminating about various shrimp dishes to make, I thought about trying cold smoked shrimp, which then led to the idea of a cold smoked shrimp po' boy.  About three-quarter pounds of shrimp were seasoned with Old Bay and then placed in a plastic bag with the open end twist tied around the Smoking Gun hose and a corner cut out of the closed end.  Several rounds of smoke from apple-hickory wood dust was applied.

NOLA-style french bread is not something I can remember encountering here, so I had baked
a few loaves earlier in the day using a recipe from King Arthur's website.

I've been trying out some new ideas for compound butters and decided to craft something to turn the sandwich roll into a type of garlic bread.  A couple of shrimp from the chicken and shrimp butter masala cook were set aside for this purpose.  They were poached in butter for a few hours in order to infuse the butter with the flavor of the smoked shrimp.  The resulting butter was then heated to remove any water and milk solids and that mixture was added to more softened butter.

Remoulade sauce was constructed from mayo, mustard, worcestershire sauce, lemon juice,
garlic, onion and Old Bay.

The roll was smeared in the compound butter and pan toasted, while the cold smoked shrimp
were battered and fried.

Everything was put together and dinner was served.

I've never eaten a po' boy before, so I'm hard pressed to compare this to others I may have tried. The sandwich was stuffed with enough shrimp to be considered a 'middle class boy'. The use of hickory helped the shrimp keep that element of smokiness after being deep fried, although it was light.  It's kind of weird smelling butter that smells like barbecued shrimp until you taste it. If that's not unami, I don't know what is.  It had an unmistakable essense of bbq shrimp and a light masala flavor.  The bread had a crispy crust and a soft, tender crumb.

Good eats.

It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
Egging in the Atlanta GA region
Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com

Comments