Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken and Shrimp Butter Masala

Options
smokingal
smokingal Posts: 1,025
edited May 2019 in EggHead Forum

The first time I feasted at an Indian restaurant, I ordered chicken butter masala.  I can remember how delicious I found it to be and was very happy there was plenty of naan available to mop up the sauce that remained on my plate, rather than lick it clean.  It’s been at least 3 years since I’ve had the dish and so I decided to remedy that with this cook.

I started with a whole chicken which, besides the popularity of spatchcocked chicken, I opted to cook beer can chicken style.  Not to worry, as I won’t be wasting any beer for this effort.  The chicken was marinated for two days, making sure that the sauce was thoroughly applied under the skin as well.  The chicken was coated with duck fat and Dizzy Pig Tsunami Spin.  The canned liquid consisted of granulated chicken broth reconstituted with apple juice.

The chicken went on the Egg at 350F with some oak chunks along with brussels sprouts and
roma tomatoes that were halved and coated with duck fat and garlic.

About an hour and ten minutes later it was done.

I didn’t expect so much chicken and duck fat to render.  The vegetables didn’t roast so much as being cooked confit style.  The chicken skin was crispy fresh off the Egg but the skin softened a bit during the rest.  Plain white rice was cooked in coconut water and dinner was served.

The long marinade had infused the butter masala flavor through the full thickness of the chicken. It was just as delicious as I remembered and super juicy.  The flavors coaxed from the vegetables from being cooked in duck and chicken fat were amplified, with a fatty richness being added to the natural caramelized earthiness of the sprouts and savory sweetness of the tomatoes.  The butter masala flavor was also absorbed by the vegetables.

The leftover roasted onions, schmaltz-duck fat in which the vegetables were cooked and remaining butter masala that was smoked along with the chicken needed to be put to good use.  Apparently the sauce also goes well with seafood, so I gave it a shot using it as a marinade for smoked shrimp.

I had researched various Indian flatbreads and lachcha (layered) paratha struck a chord.
tortilla recipe was used in lieu of one for traditional paratha and the leftover vegetable infused schmaltz
-duck fat replaced the oil in the dough and for cooking.  One of the resources I found for making the dough provided a video showing 5 different ways for creating the layers.

Some of the butter masala sauce was mixed with a bit of mayo and sour cream to make an
aioli.  Roma tomatoes and brussel sprouts were sliced and shredded.  Another dinner was
served.

Those shrimp were on point.  Their natural sweetness melded very well with the butter masala
seasoning and aioli with a kiss of oak smoke.  They were juicy and tender.  The parathas were
like a tortilla had a love child with poultry fat enriched puff pastry.  I need to try making some
quesadillas with this stuff.  Good eats.

It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
Egging in the Atlanta GA region
Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com

Comments