Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Empty those pockets

Options

Comments

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,529
    Options
    billt01 said:
    Eoin said:
    KKoterski said:
    Not many people remember that not that long ago, firearm safety and marksmanship was taught in public schools. Likewise, firearms were even easier to purchase than they are today. I'm pretty sure Lee Harvey Oswald purchased his rifle from a catalog.

Bottom line is that firearms have not changed. People have.

If I want to kill someone, how do I determine how it's done? If I have a firearm, knife, or a hammer, what do I choose? Well obviously the firearm is most effective and vastly easier to use. Now look at the UK, now your options are a knife and hammer. Well the knife is more likely to cause the damage I want, so the knife. No knife? Hammer. No hammer? Find something else.

If I want to kill someone, the tool is irrelevant. Outlaw everything and I'll use my hands. People did it for years before firearms and were perfectly capable of killing each other. 

A firearm is a machine, a tool. It only does what the operator makes it do. When there is a machine being used to kill people, do we blame an inanimate object, or the person operating it?

There was an attack in Europe a while back that killed a bunch of people and the attacker used a truck to plow through crowds. So should we ban trucks next?

On an unrelated topic, when did humanity make the shift of "I disagree with you, so now I hate you and you must die". I disagree with people all the time, but difference in thought is what makes us human. If we were all the same, it'd be boring as hell. Just food for thought. Don't hate your neighbor because you disagree, just understand that not everyone thinks like you or has the same opinion as you. AND THAT'S OK.
    We have had attacks using vehicles and knives, terrorist related. The most recent was 3 guys with knives in a crowded night life area. They killed 8 people. Arm those guys with semi automatic weapons and the death toll gets much bigger.
    Using knives was their choice, if those people wanted to use assault rifles, they could have.
    Right.  The terrorists just decided they wanted to kill fewer people that day.

good one Bruh .. :s
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• billt01
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Eoin said:
    billt01 said:
    Eoin said:
    KKoterski said:
    Not many people remember that not that long ago, firearm safety and marksmanship was taught in public schools. Likewise, firearms were even easier to purchase than they are today. I'm pretty sure Lee Harvey Oswald purchased his rifle from a catalog.

If I want to kill someone, how do I determine how it's done? If I have a firearm, knife, or a hammer, what do I choose? Well obviously the firearm is most effective and vastly easier to use. Now look at the UK, now your options are a knife and hammer. Well the knife is more likely to cause the damage I want, so the knife. No knife? Hammer. No hammer? Find something else.

If I want to kill someone, the tool is irrelevant. Outlaw everything and I'll use my hands. People did it for years before firearms and were perfectly capable of killing each other. 

A firearm is a machine, a tool. It only does what the operator makes it do. When there is a machine being used to kill people, do we blame an inanimate object, or the person operating it?

There was an attack in Europe a while back that killed a bunch of people and the attacker used a truck to plow through crowds. So should we ban trucks next?

On an unrelated topic, when did humanity make the shift of "I disagree with you, so now I hate you and you must die". I disagree with people all the time, but difference in thought is what makes us human. If we were all the same, it'd be boring as hell. Just food for thought. Don't hate your neighbor because you disagree, just understand that not everyone thinks like you or has the same opinion as you. AND THAT'S OK.
    We have had attacks using vehicles and knives, terrorist related. The most recent was 3 guys with knives in a crowded night life area. They killed 8 people. Arm those guys with semi automatic weapons and the death toll gets much bigger.
    Using knives was their choice, if those people wanted to use assault rifles, they could have.
    Not correct, the average nut job terrorist can't get hold of assault rifles. It's too difficult, too expensive and attracts too much attention.
    no sir, I believe you would be mistaken about procurement and availability
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Phaqallyall
    Phaqallyall Posts: 128
    Options
    billt01 said:
    Eoin said:
    billt01 said:
    Eoin said:
    KKoterski said:

Not correct, the average nut job terrorist can't get hold of assault rifles. It's too difficult, too expensive and attracts too much attention.
    He's talking about the UK, where he lives. 

You do not live in the UK.  You live in Georgia.

He maybe knows a bit more about how things work in the UK than you do there, Buckwheat. 
    sound it out yaidjit
  • billt01
    Options
    billt01 said:
    Eoin said:
    billt01 said:
    Eoin said:
    KKoterski said:

He maybe knows a bit more about how things work in the UK than you do there, Buckwheat. 
    the internet does not work on borders, Skippy. 

One can get ANYTHING on the internet.
    Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    anyways....a friend of mine back 30 years shot himself in the heart after finding out he had a week or two to live, but my brother was stabbed, a roommate was stabbed, an employee here that had just gotten fired was stabbed to death, and on my way to school one day i came across 2 gangs in a brutal knife fight.......the govt math isnt adding up here..... i know, things have changed, its not the 80's

the roommate stabbing was spectacular, gut wound and he was standing behind a large fan

and should a gang fight with knives be considered  a mass stabbing
    When is your life going to be made into a Hollywood blockbuster???

I'm ready right now to start righting a treatment and shopping it around!
    somehow i think the movie has already been made and im in it. gotta be this trade i work in, its messed up. looking forward to retirement, living under a bridge, and telling my stories
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Phaqallyall
    Options
    billt01 said:
    billt01 said:
    Eoin said:
    billt01 said:
    Eoin said:
    KKoterski said:

Can you really?  Then maybe you should try ordering yourself up a BRAIN.
    sound it out yaidjit
  • billt01
    Options
    keep em coming.. ;)

Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    billt01 said:
    billt01 said:
    Eoin said:
    billt01 said:
    Eoin said:
    KKoterski said:

So not only is it easy to get automatic weapons over here, the terrorists made a decision to use knives rather than guns?  Which bit of the internet is supplying your information? We were having a sensible discussion, seems that has descended into random 'I read it on the web' shizzle.
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Heart disease is the leading cause of death in the US.  Why are we not making it harder to get unhealthy food?

It's pretty rare for poor dietary decisions to kill a third party.
  • billt01
    Options
    Eoin said:
    billt01 said:
    billt01 said:
    Eoin said:
    billt01 said:
    Eoin said:
    KKoterski said:

So not only is it easy to get automatic weapons over here, the terrorists made a decision to use knives rather than guns?  Which bit of the internet is supplying your information? We were having a sensible discussion, seems that has descended into random 'I read it on the web' shizzle.
    not sensible if one doesn't take into consider all angles of the conversation, even if they don't follow mainstream principles. Automatic assault weapons are illegally shipped by the thousands to every country in the world every day. Yes it is easy to get them. 

Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Eoin
    Options
    Heart disease is the leading cause of death in the US.  Why are we not making it harder to get unhealthy food?

It's pretty rare for poor dietary decisions to kill a third party.
    Have you ever been stuck between 2 really fat people on a long haul flight?
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Image result for i like turtles gif
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Eoin
    Options
    billt01 said:
    Eoin said:
    billt01 said:
    billt01 said:
    Eoin said:
    billt01 said:
    Eoin said:
    KKoterski said:

not sensible if one doesn't take into consider all angles of the conversation, even if they don't follow mainstream principles. Automatic assault weapons are illegally shipped by the thousands to every country in the world every day. Yes it is easy to get them. 

Nonsense.
  • billt01
    Options
    Eoin said:
    billt01 said:
    Eoin said:
    billt01 said:
    billt01 said:
    Eoin said:
    billt01 said:
    Eoin said:
    KKoterski said:

Nonsense.
     =) 
    Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Phaqallyall
    Options
    billt01 said:
    Eoin said:
    billt01 said:
    billt01 said:
    Eoin said:
    billt01 said:
    Eoin said:
    KKoterski said:

So your view is that it's very easy to get assault weapons in the UK, and yet the vast majority of criminals and terrorists over there are simply deciding they don't want to?

Did your parents have any children who lived? 
    sound it out yaidjit
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Now THIS is what makes this forum great!
  • billt01
    Options
    billt01 said:
    Eoin said:
    billt01 said:
    billt01 said:
    Eoin said:
    billt01 said:
    Eoin said:
    KKoterski said:

So your view is that it's very easy to get assault weapons in the UK, and yet the vast majority of criminals and terrorists over there are simply deciding they don't want to?

yes
    Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    billt01 said:
    billt01 said:
    Eoin said:
    billt01 said:
    billt01 said:
    Eoin said:
    billt01 said:
    Eoin said:
    KKoterski said:

yes
    so, why are they doing that?
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    I think I've seen everything at this point.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • billt01
    Options
    Legume said:
    billt01 said:
    billt01 said:
    Eoin said:
    billt01 said:
    billt01 said:
    Eoin said:
    billt01 said:
    Eoin said:
    KKoterski said:

yes
    so, why are they doing that?
    I cannot opine to that, one would need to ask them. My point is if ANYONE wants a gun, it can be procured in a reasonable amount of time.
    Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    We might need a new thread about how our public schools are failing to educate the populace.
  • Eoin
    Options
    billt01 said:
    Eoin said:
    billt01 said:
    billt01 said:
    Eoin said:
    billt01 said:
    Eoin said:
    KKoterski said:

So your view is that it's very easy to get assault weapons in the UK, and yet the vast majority of criminals and terrorists over there are simply deciding they don't want to?....
    The London Bridge knife attackers wore fake suicide vests as well. Explosives are available at the corner shop (according to the internet), but they decided fake vests were a more effective option.
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    KKoterski , I'm also curious as to how all that self defense training that I'm sure out of the 851 people injured or killed in the Las Vegas shooting some of them had ...helped them defend themselves against the hailstorm of bullets one man was able to launch. I await your response.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • billt01
    edited June 2019
    Options
    We might need a new thread about how our public schools are failing to educate the populace.

NO JohnInCarolina

you're doing a fine job there
    Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• fishlessman
    Options
    if the weapon of choice for mass killings is a knife, then you just may be right
    fukahwee maine

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    billt01 said:
    HeavyG said:
    billt01 said:
    I never understood the clip argument because they are so easy to change 
    Its a magazine, damnit
    Maybe he owns an M1 Garand.
    those are not easy to change
    I haven't played with an M1 in 30+ years but I don't recall them as being too difficult to insert.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    if the weapon of choice for mass killings is a knife, then you just may be right
    All of the criminals in the UK are just really really dumb, I guess, seeing as how they can’t even figure out how to buy a gun on the internet!  Our criminals over here are just too smart.  We should probably see about the UK taking some of our criminals as part of any trade deal.
  • billt01
    Options
    All of the criminals in the UK are just really really dumb,

Not all, the smart ones procure better tools to accomplish their goals

I guess, seeing as how they can’t even figure out how to buy a gun on the internet!  Our criminals over here are just too smart.  We should probably see about the UK taking some of our criminals as part of any trade deal.

Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Eoin
    Options
    KKoterski , I'm also curious as to how all that self defense training that I'm sure out of the 851 people injured or killed in the Las Vegas shooting some of them had ...helped them defend themselves against the hailstorm of bullets one man was able to launch. I await your response.
    The victims should think themselves lucky that the guy didn't have a knife on him, then there would have been some real carnage.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    All of the criminals in the UK are just really really dumb, I guess, seeing as how they can’t even figure out how to buy a gun on the internet!  Our criminals over here are just too smart.  We should probably see about the UK taking some of our criminals as part of any trade deal.
    there just might be more effective ways that dont even use a gun.  someones going to change everything someday
    fukahwee maine