Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Today is the day I get my independence back!!

Options

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    Wow, this surgery seems no joke.  I wish you the best with the recovery.  Glad you have two strong women by your side.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac it was a big surgery that took a team of people to do.  I’m glad it’s done and hope it’s a success.  Would like to get back to my life/work.  It’s been hard being off work so long. 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Just catching this, glad to hear you made it through, and continue your recovery.  Best to you and your family.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Recover with all you got. Happy to have you back.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Wishing you a speedy recovery, glad your back.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Glad to hear your on the upswing, wishing you the best.  Keep us posted
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Soldier on brother.  It’s obviously been a ****.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • ryantt
    edited June 2019
    Options
    @bgebrent it’s been one heck of a ride!!!! I’m hoping it all ends soon.  Would love to get back to being able to cook and enjoy my favorite past time 

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    I came here late tonight looking to see if you added a post.  Good on you @ryantt. Stay strong brother. Give your young chef a hug from her fans from Memphis.  God bless. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    Options
    ryantt said:

It wont be long before I get home and Chef Norah Grace makes her dad a gettbettr meal. 

I hope you have a day today full of progress towards good health-  I keep checking for pics of the above-mentioned meal a la Chef Nora Grace!!
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    Hopefully you can be back to your old self soon. I recently moved out of my house and just tweaked my back. I was bedridden for 2 days. I can't imagine what you have been through.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• ryantt
    Options
    @TEXASBGE2018 is bee a journey, but I’m hopeful I’m on the road to recovery.  They say I will know in the next 6-8 weeks if this surgery worked or if the nerve damage is  permanent    

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    ryantt said:
    @TEXASBGE2018 is bee a journey, but I’m hopeful I’m on the road to recovery.  They say I will know in the next 6-8 weeks if this surgery worked or if the nerve damage is  permanent    
    When will you know if you can get back to work, Ryan?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • ryantt
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina if the damage isn’t permanent and I stop having leg spasms I should be aloud to return to work.  I will know in the next 3mos or so.  

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    I’m glad you are healing up. Prayers for a continued successful recovery. 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Good deal. Keep up the progress on the recovery Ryan!
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    ryantt said:
    Looking at some of my post, typing updates while hyped up on pain meds and muscle relaxers isn’t the best idea.  Apologize if some of it was a little off.   Here is the latest, drain in my back has slowed down so I hope I can get that out soon.  I have an incredible amount of back, abdominal, leg and nerve pain.  The hope is that over the next 6-8weeks this will improve.  Was up 4 times today with the physical terrorist...man they beat the crap out of me!!! I walked 50ft all 4 times before I was out of energy.  
    Chef Norah Grace said she’s making me an SRF Brisket that we received as a gift from some very kind and giving eggheads.  She also told me that she wants to make my favorite vegetable to go with it, Brussel sprouts.  I like them roasted on the grill and tossed in roasted garlic, black salt, and a balsamic reduction.  

Lastly EggHeads thanks for all the support and kind words. Reading the pages here often makes me chuckle.  I do miss the Friday night  shenanigans, hope the buffalo easies up and let’s us have some fun.  
    Hang tough bud.  Pain is a botch, but don't let her grind you down - you gotta stare that biotch in the face and laugh at her and let her know she ain't got enough juice to stop you from pushing thru.

Embrace the suck and know that there are better days ahead.

Godspeed.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Good news Ryan.  Hope you continue to improve and get better.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• booksw
    Options
    @ryantt Nora Grace’s celebratory meal plan sounds exquisite! Brussel sprout recipe please... does she pre cook them at all?
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • ryantt
    Options
    @booksw it’s super easy we cut them in half and toss in a little EVOO and cook them at 350 until they are tender.  We use 2-3 cloves of roasted garlic and mash that in 1/4 cup of olive oil.  Toss the finish sprouts in that mixture and set them out on a tray to be sprinkled with black finishing salt and the balsamic reduction.  

My wife does the balsamic reduction and it’s easy as can be 1 cup of balsamic and 1/8 cup of  brown sugar in a sauce pan and reduce by half.  It takes about 30 min on low heat to get it there.  We take the left over reduction and put it in a squeeze bottle and keep it in the fridge.   It’s good on chicken, roasted vegetables, fish and even pizza.  

We tend to double up and make 2c to 1/4cup brown sugar. It keeps for a long time in the fridge. Like I said it’s just good on everything. 

• booksw
    Options
    Ok that sounds amazing- thanks!!
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    Here's to hoping you get back to 100%!!!! I'm gonna have to have my back done at some point, not looking forward to it. I'm only 33 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• ryantt
    Options
    @milesvdustin depending on what needs done it isn’t to bad.  My first surgery was 8-9 yrs ago and was a simple disk repair,  laminectomy and stenosis fix. I recovered from that surgery quickly and was back to work in 3-4 weeks.  Moving down the road, I’ve had more and more issues, broken hardware, compression fractures and a number of other things.  My best advise would be to listen to the doctors as well as your body!!! No one wants to be 37 using a walker, having to wear a hard she custom brace anytime they aren’t laying down.  

If you ever ever want to talk my name is Ryan and my cell is3308063404 

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    I appreciate that! Right now regular chiropractor visits are keeping me in check. I've been to several docs and had a few MRI and nobody can tell me what's wrong. The VA wants to cut nerves off my spine, I said no thanks. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    Bump.... @ryantt ....  How goes the fight?
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• ryantt
    Options
    @The_Stache I’ve had set back after setback. The cage they have built to hold my lower spine in place seems to be having trouble....one of the screws appears to be backing out of the bone.   

I have basically given up at this juncture and will be taking a hiatus from the BGE group.   My daughter still post her stuff on Instagram, I just look and approve.  

Most days I wish I could just go to my final home and stop being a burden on my wife, daughter, and my in-laws.   It’s depressing to wake up and still be here.  

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Thinking of you and your family @ryantt. We’re all pulling for you!!
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,663
    Options
    Give it more time man hang in there
    South of Columbus, Ohio.