Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

National Brisket Day (Tues May 28) landing thread for that meteorite you will create and enjoy

Options
lousubcap
lousubcap Posts: 32,391
Given today is Friday eve of Memorial Day weekend and you feel the force to honor the briskets Gods and Goddesses, please use this thread to post your tribute to this once a year yet to be proclaimed holiday.  You are encouraged to post any level of detail you wish regarding your brisket journey.  For the past couple of years this event has served as a catalyst for many to first run with a brisket cook.  Time to go again.  Above all, have fun.  (The friggin cow drives the cook.) 
Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,659
    Options

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    I'm in headed to Costco at lunch.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    I thought I was gonna have to wait til Tuesday but just had an audible called.  Cooking a Costco prime on Sunday and a Creekstone Farms on Tuesday.  Will post my usual low quality pics during slice and serve time. 
    Above all, have fun.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Options
    Getting ready for the big day.

It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Not a great picture but my dad picked up a 13lber at Kroger. Choice $1.47 a pound. Kinda hard to pass up a $19.11 Brisky. Most of all I am excited to get to use my egg during my exile(temp. apartment living). I will Try to post follow up pics Monday.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Im doing one tonight and teaching class with it tomorrow. Little early but spreading the brisket love all weekend.

There is just no way to say that that does not sound weird. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Im doing one tonight and teaching class with it tomorrow. Little early but spreading the brisket love all weekend.

Nothing weird about that.  Hopefully not using one of those SRF Texas knock-offs for the class. =)  Please remind your class to then run out and fire one up in honor of NBD. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    lousubcap said:

Nothing weird about that.  Hopefully not using one of those SRF Texas knock-offs for the class. =)  Please remind your class to then run out and fire one up in honor of NBD. 

We didnt get any of those out here. I’ve been to 3 H-E-B around here and one in town- no joy. Lot of prime and Meyer all natural but nothing out of the ordinary. 
  • PBandJ
    PBandJ Posts: 92
    Options
    17lb from Costco. Injected with garlic juice, onion juice and beef broth per @YukonRon. Topped with S&P. The Sam is for me.

Going on tomorrow. 

Woodbridge, Va.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Rollin‘ smoke. 

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Options

XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Options
    Wrapped that rascal.    Now she’s sitting at 165

Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • NCSmoky
    NCSmoky Posts: 515
    Options
    17lb from Costco

Went on at 1:30 am and sitting at 165 this morning 

Wrapped up up for the last leg. My first time wrapping a brisket so I hope this goes smoothly 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    NCSmoky said:
    17lb from Costco

Went on at 1:30 am and sitting at 165 this morning 

Wrapped up up for the last leg. My first time wrapping a brisket so I hope this goes smoothly 

Just watch the temps. Once wrapped the cook time will speed up dramatically. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Put the CAB on at 11pm and just wrapped at 165. Prefer to wrap after the stall but this one is running a little behind. Got to do all the tricks when you have a hard start time (noon central in this case). We won’t slice it until 1:30-2 but class starts at noon and we get there at 11. It will be all snuggly in a cooler after it’s done until we slice. I’ll Try to get some pics of class this time. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    No pics. Got crazy jammed up for time. Turned out pretty good. They had destroyed a big part of the flat and out the damn price sticker over it so that sucked. Shaved all the fat off in places and scooped out half the thickness of the meat with it. I hate grocery store briskets. Even H-E-B. Get screwed more often than not. Im 99% sure they buy trim seconds to keep the prices down. There is something wrong with 99% of them. this is the worst  ive seen though and they knew it (hence the price sticker over it). 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Just trimmed up a Costco "prime" that was targeted for NBD but a good friend decides to have party on Sunday so that's the destination.  (Creekstone Farms on deck for Tues now-first time with one of those).  The Costco prime is back at the level of poor butchering I saw about a year ago and for many months.  At least the fat cap is good but the amount of hard fat is way too much.  Started at 13 lbs and now 10.2 lbs.  I went thru many and on a few visits before grabbing this one but even though fairly flexible, it wasn't like Costco prime of a couple of years ago.  Had good luck with Porter Road a few weeks ago and hope for the same with Creekstone Farms.
    BTW-Creekstone Farms has a sale on their high end choice briskets. 
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    Yesterday's meteorite. Margaritas were a bit too good. No money shot on the brisket . Party was a blast. There will be a wedding on the farm wedding to plan. That is all.....
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • NCSmoky
    NCSmoky Posts: 515
    Options
    Finished shots, was pleased with the way it turned out

• lousubcap
    Options
    Some great looking gifts at the altar of the Brisket Gods and Goddesses.  Keep 'em coming.  B)
  • thetrim
    Options
    I almost forgot how much personal satisfaction I get from truly nailing a brisket. 

Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    @PBandJ that looks outstanding.  

We got one at Costco and trimmed it and rubbed it with a homemade brisket rub that is made from scratch by Will from Brothers In Arms Barbecue.  We'll put it on late tonight for eating tomorrow afternoon or evening - a day early for NBD.

https://www.facebook.com/BrothersInArmsBarbeque/

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    Options
    Today's audible in the books:  the sliced pic is not me-I'm tying to slice on demand with a less than sharp knife at a friend's house.  Was playing around with smoke wood and thought I would get a better ring.
    And the one of the finish.
    Great bark and flavor.  One more time on Tuesday.

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Excellent @lousubcap.  And practice makes perfect.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX