Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie - BBQ Ribs at 220 with BGE Conveggtor

Options
Bergsteiger
Bergsteiger Posts: 16
Still new.  Today I BBQd ribs with Conveggtor at 220F.  Had bottom vent art 1/4, and top just barely open. Fire went down twice to 75F during the 5 hour period.  What am I doing wrong?  Please help.

Thanks.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,399
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    @Mattman3969 likely summed it up.  BTW- if you haven't done so, check the calibration of your dome thermo. 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Welcome. 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    All the above posts will get you on track.
    But also check your dome temp gauge with boiling water test.
    If your gauge is off and reading a little high, holding 220 is even harder.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    Options
    Good advice above, especially on the stabilizing temps.  I have a large and it is really hard to get it to settle in below 250F.

One thing to add is airflow.  If I am doing a long, low temp cook.  I take the internal bottom parts of the egg out, get all the ash out and make sure no holes are plugged as a put the parts back in.  Then try yo stack the charcoal with bigger pieces.  This will help with airflow.  Using old charcoal or just dumping the bag in leaves a lot of small pieces that block your airflow.  I only use then for hotter cooks when the fire is roaring anyway.
    Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    You should try turbo ribs, much easier temp control 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Bergsteiger
    Options
    Sounds like the fire was not stabilized. You should let the egg run at desired temps with no adjustments for 45mins-1hr.  

It is also almost impossible to run that low without a controller.  Most eggs will gladly settle in at 250-275 with no problems. This won’t hurt the meat either.  A lot of folks here cook babyback ribs at 325-350.  Ribs in 90 mins are pretty awesome. 
    So, leave the lid open for 45-60 minutes, then close?
  • Bergsteiger
    Options
    jak7028 said:
    Good advice above, especially on the stabilizing temps.  I have a large and it is really hard to get it to settle in below 250F.

One thing to add is airflow.  If I am doing a long, low temp cook.  I take the internal bottom parts of the egg out, get all the ash out and make sure no holes are plugged as a put the parts back in.  Then try yo stack the charcoal with bigger pieces.  This will help with airflow.  Using old charcoal or just dumping the bag in leaves a lot of small pieces that block your airflow.  I only use then for hotter cooks when the fire is roaring anyway.
    Thanks.  I did add charcoal to the existing.  Now, removed it all and doing what you mentioned.  Tomorrow, am doing to pork butt.  Hope I have no problems with that.  
  • PBandJ
    PBandJ Posts: 92
    Options
    So, leave the lid open for 45-60 minutes, then close?
    DO NOT leave the lid open for 45 minutes. You will have an inferno. Do a search for temperature control or vent settings.
    Woodbridge, Va.
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    I light with the Weber little white wax cubes. I light, then the lid is open maybe 15 mins. Then closed, and try to dial in temp. It takes a bit 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Options
    Before I bought my Flame Boss 300 I had not problem keeping 225 in my XL. Never did an overnighter, but with a few minor adjustments I could do long cooks at 225.
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    Turbo ribs FTW! I too used to cook butts and ribs at 225, then I tried turbo! I still will cook butts at lower temps sometimes but 250 is usually as low as I go. No controller here. A Kick Ash Basket helps with air flow too, I really like mine! Great advice above, good luck brother.
    LBGE
    AL
  • Bergsteiger
    Options
    Thanks everyone.
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    If you haven't done it yet try a dry run and work at adjusting temps.  For a low and slow get a small amount going (4-5" around) and shut the lid with the daisy wheel off and open the bottom wide open and watch your temp.  As soon as it gets up to 250-275 start dialing both down so it hold temp.  It takes some practice but it's worth it.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Ridgehunter
    Ridgehunter Posts: 28
    Options
    Use a kick ash basket,I have one in both my medium and large egg and it gives you better air flowver easy to regulate,less adjustments needed.
  • ScottyG
    ScottyG Posts: 16
    Options
    Co-sign on the kick ash basket. Got one for my XL and it has made a huge difference 
  • jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    Options
    Yno said:
    Before I bought my Flame Boss 300 I had not problem keeping 225 in my XL. Never did an overnighter, but with a few minor adjustments I could do long cooks at 225.
    I have noticed cooking with friends, it is much easier to maintain 225F on an XL versus a Large.  
    Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone