Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby Back Ribs

Options
EggRx
EggRx Posts: 2

Hey y’all, I’m somewhat new to the Big Green Egg world. I’ve had an egg since 2013 but only recently have I gotten serious about cooking. My question is this: what is your favorite way to cook ribs? I’ve always cooked them in the oven for a couple of hours and then transported to the egg to finish them off for the last few minutes. The bone pulls right out, but I’m interested if anyone cooks them solely on the BGE and what temp you use, wrap (or not) in tin foil, indirect heat, etc. Thanks y’all, and I look forward to learning and sharing.

Comments

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options

I do mine turbo style almost all the time.

350 indirect

no foil

100 +\- minutes for Baby Backs

120 +\- Spares.

Toothpick and bend test for the win.

These ribs are done.

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 903
    Options

Do a couple of searches here and you'll find 14,587 different opinions on the subject. Or any subject, really.

But yes, most of us do them entirely on the egg.

Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options

Get some smoke on them and I'm sure you'll like your new way to do ribs.

Stillwater, MN
  • SoCal_Griller
    SoCal_Griller Posts: 516
    edited April 2019
    Options

Lots of ways to do ribs on the egg. I rarely do them the same two times in a row. Google 221 Ribs, a technique where you cook them for two hours, then wrap (foil or butcher paper) for two hours, then sauce and one more hour. I usually smoke them around 250 to 275 ish. The time is a guide line, cook until they pass the bend test and tooth pick test, which for me, the last time, was 2-2-.5.

Don't overthink it, it's a pretty simple cook.

Have Fun!

Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options

LOTS of folks here who love ribs on the Egg! Only trouble is, as mentioned above, lots of different ways to do them! Biggest difference is foil or no foil.

Foil: As above, "3-2-1" or "2-2-1," or other variations, the idea is 2 or 3 hours no foil, then an hour or two foiled, usually with something in the wrap for moisture, then an hour again with no foil to crisp them up a bit. For people who love fall-off-the-bone ribs, this is a great method. Some people feel like 2 hours in foil is too much, and the meat gets mushy. Try it a few ways, yourself, and see what YOU like.

No Foil: Some people feel like foiling ribs winds up sort of "braising" them, and leads to a texture they're not so fond of, and they much prefer ribs cooked without foil. Me, I'm just lazy, and messing with foiling them and then un-foiling them again just seemed like a pain, so the first time I smoked some ribs in my Egg I just did them indirect at 250° or so with no foil, and I LOVED THEM!!! I loved them so much that I've never had any reason to try foiling them. And it's easy! :)

Maybe try them both ways and see what you like best!

To me, the crucial, crucial point is this: Do NOT rely on temperature to tell when they're done! Rely on the "bend test" (see the photo above) or the "toothpick test" where a toothpick goes into the meat very easily, very little resistance. Cook them until they TEST tender, regardless of what the thermometer says. Temp is crucial for steaks and chicken, lots of other things, but it's not so helpful for ribs.