Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Marinate for shrimp

Options

Looking for a good shrimp marinate.

Comments

• Ike
    Ike Posts: 291
    Options

Ken's vidalia onion salad dressing...marinade an hour or a little less.

Owensboro, KY.  First Eggin' 4/12/08.  Large, small, 22" Blackstone and lotsa goodies.
  • BBQBuddy
    BBQBuddy Posts: 275
    edited April 2019
    Options
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    edited April 2019
    Options

Here's one that rocks! It is not a marinade like you asked for, but a quick delicious coating that will knock your socks off!

Spicy Grilled Jumbo Shrimp

Source: A variation on a recipe from Egger Randy Price in Arizona

Ingredients:

1 lb of 15 ct raw shrimp, peeled and butterflied

2 clove garlic, minced

1 tsp Kosher salt

1 tsp paprika

1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

2 tsp lemon juice

2 Tbs olive oil

Instructions:

These shrimp are really killer. The recipe comes from a Mark Bittman cook book, and about the only thing you can do wrong with it is to over cook the shrimp, or try to use ones that are too small and they fall through the grid. I use the frozen U-15 ones from Sam`s club. 

Take 1 tsp of kosher salt and 2 garlic cloves (minced) and mash them into a paste with the side of your knife or a mortar and pestle (easier). 

Add to that paste 1 tsp paprika, 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, 2 tsp lemon juice, and 2 Tbs olive oil. 

Thaw and peel the shrimp. Butterfly them by cutting down the back halfway through the shrimp. If they have a vein remove it now.

Briefly mix the shrimp with the marinade until well coated, then grill direct. DO NOT MARINATE for any time - just coat! Go about 2 minutes on the first side at about 350 dome, when they start to curl up, flip them and watch until they curl fairly tight and remove immediately. Some of them won’t curl tight but you can pretty much tell when they are done, don’t overcook!Let them rest for a few minutes. 

Makes a great appetizer or a meal!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options

Green lighting is amazing.

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options

My all-time favorite grilled shrimp recipe is from Steve Raichlen. He called it "Gulf Coast Shrimp." It's just wonderful! Here is one of my posts about it.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,976
    Options

I think it’s worth doing your homework here to find the marinade that works for the dish you want to make. Then make sure you marinate the protein for a sufficient enough time so that the marinade can really penetrate during the marinating process.

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    edited April 2019
    Options

I don’t really marinate shrimp. But I brush this on while they cook. Mixture of melted butter, dry white wine, garlic, fresh squeezed lemon juice, minced garlic and hot sauce of your choosing. I don’t measure, but probably one stick of butter and equal part wine, three garlic cloves, 1/2 lemon juiced and hot sauce to taste will take care of several dozen shrimp.

Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited April 2019
    Options

I agree that a lot of marinades don't actually improve or penetrate shrimp. A lot will kill the texture of the meat, however...rubs are a different story.

My go to for shrimp is olive oil, fresh garlic, and any mediterranean seasoning (or mix your own with oregeno, salt and black pepper as a base).

I like the Penzey's Mediterranean a lot. The Dizzy Pig one is good also. I guess since that is wet it is technically a marinade, but it's on for a short time and the oil is just to get the rub/garlic to adhere and keep the shrimp from sticking to the grill.

You can mix that up while you are waiting for the grill to get up to temp. Some shrimp has a little funk to them, if so, after you have flipped them hit them with some fresh squeezed lime on the grill.

Simple and delicious.

LBGE/Maryland
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,293
    edited April 2019
    Options

By far my favourite shrimp marinade I’ve ever had. Lime and coconut grilled shrimp. A family favourite for years.

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options

I'm with the no marinade crowd with shrimp. Season with salt pepper garlic and grill em. Having said that, the green lightning recipe posted above is outstanding.

Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options

Yup. No marinade. Season as you like and brush on compound butter/sauce of your liking during the 4 minute cook.

Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options

Try a bourbon slushee.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    divr71 said:

Looking for a good shrimp marinate.

If you are going to deep fry them give them a dunk in whole milk for 4-6 hours 👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Hard to beat a little olive oil and fresh garlic. S&P for giggles.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Search Green Lightning Shrimp.  That’s my go to these days.  
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.