Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long can you marinate chicken?

Options
doing some Thai wings and a breast for my wife. Started last night. Plan was to cook it for dinner today but not feeling well and the weather is not so great right now. Another 24 hours an issue?

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,357
    Options
    I'd pull them out and stick them on a rack to air dry in the fridge or soaking for another 24 won't hurt. What was in the marinade?
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    edited March 2019
    Options
    The biggest thing is what's in the marinade.  If it has some acidic ingredients in it I would pull from the marinade.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• steel_egg
    steel_egg Posts: 295
    Options
    Ginger, soy &  fish sauce, green onion, garlic, sesame oil.   some spices and lime zest. All blended up. Something I saw posted here a few weeks ago. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,733
    Options
    If you have any acid in the marinade (citrus, yogurt, vinegar) the texture will likely become mealy after marinating for that long. If you don't have anything acidic in the mix, then 2-3 days will be just fine. 

What about cooking them indoors? I'd rather do that than have sub-par wings off the egg. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    Options
    I would pull them from the marinade to a wire rack in the fridge. They will be fine like that for a day or two.
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,827
    Options
    steel_egg said:
    Ginger, soy &  fish sauce, green onion, garlic, sesame oil.   some spices and lime zest. All blended up. Something I saw posted here a few weeks ago. 
    couple days with this marinade
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    I've gone a couple of days with a similar marinade with no ill effects... If you're concerned the wire rack in the fridge to "air chill" till tomorrow also works!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• caliking
    Options
    steel_egg said:
    You'll be fine. That marinade will actually taste better after 2 days.

Consider reserving some of the marinade and boil to make a sauce. Toss the wings in the sauce while they're hot. 

• steel_egg
    Options
    caliking said:
    steel_egg said:

Consider reserving some of the marinade and boil to make a sauce. Toss the wings in the sauce while they're hot. 
    Need to boil a certain amount of time to be safe?
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    As with the chicken, once you get to 165°, you'll be fine. Just get there, you don't have to stay there. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• caliking
    Options
    You may end up boiling it for a bit to reduce the marinade. Depends on how much liquid is in the marinade.

I boil it until it coats the back of a spoon. Not too thick, but thick enough to glom onto the wings decently. 

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    pull from the marinade. More is not better in some cases. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    pull them out, rinse them off and let them sit and open-air dry in your fridge for a day to enhance the crispness
    Options
    (male enhancement protocol)

Options
    Seriously, I'm just trying to run my post count up for retirement....
    caliking said:
    steel_egg said:

If this is caliking’s sauce, do exactly as he says. It is incredible. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,863
    Options
    caliking said:
    steel_egg said:

Yep.  @caliking makes some great wings.  I'm pretty sure his wings came in 2nd place in a contest once.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,366
    Options
    50 hours
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • caliking
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    caliking said:
    steel_egg said:

Yep.  @caliking makes some great wings.  I'm pretty sure his wings came in 2nd place in a contest once.
    Ouch. That still stings. Has it really only been 2 years??

• steel_egg
    Options
    Not sure who I saw post this in the past week or so but they were fantastic. Good amount of spice. Great flavor. Got a bit too much char but not inedible. 
  • steel_egg
    Options
    Thanks for all the input.