Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Pastrami and Sourdough

SciAggieSciAggie Posts: 3,756
It’s been a while since I posted a cook - maybe this one is worth sharing. I found some corned beef at Sam’s the other day and got excited about making pastrami. It also gave me a good reason to see if I still could produce a decent loaf of bread. I have really neglected my sourdough starter - I was worried I might not save it. A few days of care and feeding though and it was as robust as ever. It made a nice loaf I think.

Here’s the brisket flat after soaking it overnight to reduce the saltiness:

I made a rub and ground it up in the mortar and pestle. 

I got the egg going at about 240 degrees with some hickory chunks. I let the meat smoke for about 4 hours - to an internal temp of 165 or so. 

After smoking, I put it in a pan to steam. I added some dark vegetable broth and most of a Shiner. (I had to have a sip) This was covered with foil and cooked for a couple of hours. Temp reached about 204 and probed tender. I declared victory. 

It sliced up nicely. 

Here’s the crumb on the bread. 

A little assebly. 

And the final product. 

It may be a lot of work for a sandwich but it sure was good. Thanks for looking. 
Coleman, Texas
Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven.
"Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                      YukonRon

Comments

• ThatgrimguyThatgrimguy Posts: 3,994
    That looks amazing from this side of the screen!!
    XL & Small Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, Pitmaker Vault, Blackstone Griddle, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, BlueStar 60" Range
  • SciAggieSciAggie Posts: 3,756
    That looks amazing from this side of the screen!!
    Thanks! It was good on my side too!
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven.
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • bgebrentbgebrent Posts: 18,437
    Gorgeous sandwich.  Totally worth it.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • CigarCityEggerCigarCityEgger Posts: 1,125
    Now that’s a Ruben, hope what I’m making looks half as good 
    bgebrent said:
    Gorgeous sandwich.  Totally worth it.
    Thank you sir. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
    Now that’s a Ruben, hope what I’m making looks half as good 
    Thanks!
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • bluebird66bluebird66 Posts: 2,269
    Wow, that looks amazing!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket and various Weber's
    Floyd Va

• johnmitchelljohnmitchell Posts: 4,792
    Fantastic !!!!
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • smokingalsmokingal Posts: 292
    Marvelous looking pastrami and sourdough!
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap
    http://barbecueaddict.com
  • JacksDadJacksDad Posts: 517

Fantastic

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 18,857
    Way to return with a great cook and pics.  You did any NYC deli proud with that sandwich.  Congrats.

Louisville;  L & S BGEs, PBC, Lang 36; Burnin' wood in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer.  
  • NPHuskerFLNPHuskerFL Posts: 17,383
    edited March 16
    Looks like 💩 Gary  :clap:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 13,704
    I may have to head for our local Jewish Deli shortly. I could make it, but that takes far too long when you have a craving!

Those last three pics...!!!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!

…Unknown

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• JohnnyTarheelJohnnyTarheel Posts: 5,666
    Oh my my my!!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 8,614
    Strong comeback cook. 

-----------------------------------------

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • HendersonTRKingHendersonTRKing Posts: 1,418
    Beautiful. A purest would suggest rye bread, but who am I to quibble with excellence?

Bravo!
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • jtcBoyntonjtcBoynton Posts: 2,340
    Do you do takeout?
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• 20stone20stone Posts: 1,717
    As always, beautiful food and beautiful pics.  That looks fantastic.

One note though, with your game (which is quite strong), you can make better corned beef than you can buy.  I use @The Cen-Tex Smokers method, though there are other threads as well.  Have some pride, man! ;-)
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
    Thanks for all the kind words y’all. @20stone Thanks for holding the bar high. I’ll try not to be a slacker. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon