Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pastrami and Sourdough

It’s been a while since I posted a cook - maybe this one is worth sharing. I found some corned beef at Sam’s the other day and got excited about making pastrami. It also gave me a good reason to see if I still could produce a decent loaf of bread. I have really neglected my sourdough starter - I was worried I might not save it. A few days of care and feeding though and it was as robust as ever. It made a nice loaf I think.

Here’s the brisket flat after soaking it overnight to reduce the saltiness:

I made a rub and ground it up in the mortar and pestle. 

I got the egg going at about 240 degrees with some hickory chunks. I let the meat smoke for about 4 hours - to an internal temp of 165 or so. 

After smoking, I put it in a pan to steam. I added some dark vegetable broth and most of a Shiner. (I had to have a sip) This was covered with foil and cooked for a couple of hours. Temp reached about 204 and probed tender. I declared victory. 

It sliced up nicely. 

Here’s the crumb on the bread. 

A little assebly. 

And the final product. 

It may be a lot of work for a sandwich but it sure was good. Thanks for looking. 
Coleman, Texas
Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
"Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                      YukonRon

Comments

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,723
    That looks amazing from this side of the screen!!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    That looks amazing from this side of the screen!!
    Thanks! It was good on my side too!
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Gorgeous sandwich.  Totally worth it.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Now that’s a Ruben, hope what I’m making looks half as good 
  • SciAggie
    bgebrent said:
    Gorgeous sandwich.  Totally worth it.
    Thank you sir. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    Now that’s a Ruben, hope what I’m making looks half as good 
    Thanks!
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,717
    Wow, that looks amazing!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket and various Weber's
    Floyd Va

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545
    Fantastic !!!!
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Marvelous looking pastrami and sourdough!
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • JacksDad
    JacksDad Posts: 538

Fantastic

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Way to return with a great cook and pics.  You did any NYC deli proud with that sandwich.  Congrats.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited March 2019
    Looks like 💩 Gary  :clap:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I may have to head for our local Jewish Deli shortly. I could make it, but that takes far too long when you have a craving!

Those last three pics...!!!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    Oh my my my!!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Strong comeback cook. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Beautiful. A purest would suggest rye bread, but who am I to quibble with excellence?

Bravo!
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Do you do takeout?
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    As always, beautiful food and beautiful pics.  That looks fantastic.

One note though, with your game (which is quite strong), you can make better corned beef than you can buy.  I use @The Cen-Tex Smokers method, though there are other threads as well.  Have some pride, man! ;-)
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • SciAggie
    Thanks for all the kind words y’all. @20stone Thanks for holding the bar high. I’ll try not to be a slacker. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon