Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Knife sharpening your method

JMCXLJMCXL Posts: 1,261

How do you go about sharpening your collection of knifes?

Are you a Do it your Self or Send them to someone?

Northern New Jersey
XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo     MM - Woo     Medium - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

Comments

• ColtsFanColtsFan Posts: 3,083

XL BGE, 2-LG BGE, KJ Jr, 36" Blackstone, Ardore Pizza Oven
    Follow me on Instagram @ hoosier_egger
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!
  • BotchBotch Posts: 7,790
    edited February 10
    I used to take them to the local kitchenwares store, they would resharpen by the inch, economical.  
    A couple years ago I purchased a Chef's Choice "XV Trizor Edge", which reshapes the blade to the narrower Japanese angle.  It took awhile to do all the knives (I left my heavier chef's knife at the stouter original angle, as I use it to hack cheekuns and squash) but since then, I've only used my steel.  If they ever need regrinding I just use the polishing wheel and I should be good.

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
  • DoubleEggerDoubleEgger Posts: 14,729
    edited February 10
    I use a guy in Atlanta. At $5 a knife, it’s one less thing I have to mess with. I have yet to need a Shun sharpened but I’ll send them in for factory reconditioning when the time comes. 
  • NPHuskerFLNPHuskerFL Posts: 17,416
    Honing rod (Steel and Ceramic).  Several Japanese wet stones. A two sided wood mounted strop...one side loaded with low grit and the other is naked.  After getting the blade where I want it I simply maintain the edge with the strop after each use (takes seconds).
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL

That's receipt paper 
  • Tarpon65Tarpon65 Posts: 195
    I've used an Apex Edge Pro system for a couple years. Does a great job for me.
  • stlcharcoalstlcharcoal Posts: 3,697
    I have a Chef's Choice three stage, but I've also used a place in STL that does all the restaurant.  Those were for the Wusthoffs and Victorinoxs.  Once I got the Shun's though, now I'll just send them back to them if/when I ever need to.  
  • @ColtsFan, do you ever have issue with rounding then tip with the belt? Looks like you’ve got a good edge on that.
    I watched a Youtube video with Bob Kramer sharpening using wet stones. He makes it look so easy using a $400.00 kit.
    Ontario, Canada
    XL- BGE
    CGS- AR, spider, PS WOO, 
    KAB
    @Komokaegger hasn't been an issue yet. It's important to stop the belt when the tip reaches the center of it
  • WoodchunkWoodchunk Posts: 911
    Botch said:
    I used to take them to the local kitchenwares store, they would resharpen by the inch, economical.  
    A couple years ago I purchased a Chef's Choice "XV Trizor Edge", which reshapes the blade to the narrower Japanese angle.  It took awhile to do all the knives (I left my heavier chef's knife at the stouter original angle, as I use it to hack cheekuns and squash) but since then, I've only used my steel.  If they ever need regrinding I just use the polishing wheel and I should be good.

What I am using also. Got mine last December and it does a great job
  • westernbbqwesternbbq Posts: 2,379
    Trizor xv . One of best investments ive ever made
  • Depends on how dull they are when my buddies drop them off.  If I have to recontour the edge , the belt grinder is first.  Then the oil stones.  If it’s a Shun, usually just a few minutes on the water stone will get it “surgical” again.

Land of OZ-Hays Kansas

BGE XL++Flameboss 300 WiFi++Blackstone 36"++2 Weber Kettles

@littlerascal56, more pics of your whole shop, please.   :)

Ogden, Utard.  
  • milesvdustinmilesvdustin Posts: 2,008
    I use the sharp maker from spyderco

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• JMCXLJMCXL Posts: 1,261
    Thanks for all the feed back. I like my local guy, charges $5-$7 and does a nice job. Would love to learn how to do it my self.
    Northern New Jersey

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Follow me on Facebook 

• JiggityJiggity Posts: 1
    TSPROF russian knife sharpener. Its a bit pricey but it gives absolute repeatability. Love it. 
  • HeavyGHeavyG Posts: 6,020
    Jiggity said:
    TSPROF russian knife sharpener. Its a bit pricey but it gives absolute repeatability. Love it. 
    I've been looking at that for the last year or so. I already have an Apex Pro but there are times where I would find it advantageous to have a blade rigidly clamped/mounted.
    Did you order yours direct or from an American vendor?
    Camped out in the (757/804)
  • JMCXLJMCXL Posts: 1,261
    Jiggity said:
    Just watched a video demo of the unit.That looks amazing, makes we want one, not sure I can justify the $900 price take for the K03
    Northern New Jersey

Follow me on Facebook 

• pgprescottpgprescott Posts: 11,802
    Image result for work sharp culinary
  • GoldenQGoldenQ Posts: 402
    As do others I use the chefs choice Trizor XV
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
    Thank you, @littlerascal56 , beautiful shop!

I hate you now.  :tongue:

Ogden, Utard.  
  • newby84newby84 Posts: 121
    How would this compare to that Ken Onion sharpener? This would be all new for me. 
  • pgprescottpgprescott Posts: 11,802
    newby84 said:
    How would this compare to that Ken Onion sharpener? This would be all new for me. 
    Easier to use but less versatile I assume. I’ve never used the ken onion version. If you are just sharpening your kitchen knives and not a bunch of other stuff this might be for you. 
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 6,177
    I do my own, and use an Edge Pro Apex. Its a manual system, and takes some practice, but will work on almost all knives. Another manual system is the Wicked Edge. Both systems are $$, but I use them mostly on J-knives that are fairly expensive.

My hands are not stable enough any more to consider a stone set, tho' that is what the best sharpeners tend to use.

Lower end kitchen sharpeners used to be awful, but I've read that some models will now do a good job, assuming the user doesn't use them too often, and runs the edge thru smoothly.

AFAIK, the ones mentioned above a better, and so less likely to remove too much metal.

There's a guy in town w. a Tormek. Charges a flat fee up to a certain size, then by the inch. Seems to do a good job, tho' he is mostly not doing kitvhen knives.
  • chabschabs Posts: 6
    Got a Work Sharp Ken Onion for Christmas, and after practicing on some old knives I found it's drop dead easy to put a great edge on my Globals, so far the edge has been holding up great. Probably could get a better edge from a stone but I like the ease of use on the KO. 

I really like the ability to adjust the desired angle on the ken onion without having to purchase additional guides compared to the Kitchen version of the sharpener.
  • sctdgsctdg Posts: 300
    edited February 12
    I use Shapton splash and go glass stones . Makes a razor edge . If you use Work Sharp (Ken onion or original)  ,put painters tape on guides so you don't scratch sides of knife.
  • northGAcocknorthGAcock Posts: 12,468
    I take mine to a place in Charlotte a couple times a year. 
    Columbia, South Carolina with a Medium, MiniMax & a 17" Blackstone

“Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil.”
  • briancbrianc Posts: 8
    I agree with ColtsFan. I have a worksharp and love it. Also have a warthog vsharp and it is excellent also.
  • lkapigianlkapigian Posts: 4,669
    Got the Work Sharp KO from Amazon when is was extreme bargain- I am a complete knife sharpening novice and I am very pleased- I have off brand knives that I have had for years and keeps them fine for me-I do a LOT of knife work so sharpness counts
    Visalia, Ca