Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First post & first brisket packer cook

I've been lurking on the forum since I got my MiniMax in Spring 2017. Picked up a large at DizzyFest this past year. I'm definitely a novice but have enjoyed the versatility of the Egg thus far. The forum is a great resource, so figured it's time to start contributing a little bit. 

Picked up a choice brisket packer from a local butcher for NYE dinner. Weighted about 15.75 lbs before trimming, and 13 lbs after. Rubbed with Dizzy Pig Red Eye Express and Cow Lick. Added 3 chunks of hickory to the Fogo lump. Cooked it at 240-250° grate temp for 8 hours to about 170° IT, then wrapped in butcher paper for 3 hours. Pulled it at about 195° IT. There was little to no resistance when probing the point. The flat had a little bit more resistance, though not much. FTC for about 4 hours before serving. Pretty happy with how it turned out for a first time, though in hindsight I wish I have left it on for maybe 30 more minutes or so to get the flat a little more tender. 

Washington County, MD

Large & MM, Blackstone Griddles (36" & Tailgater)

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 11,044
    Welcome, way to jump right in @ckreisl1
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,810
    @ckreisl1
    For having the guts to post a brisket as your first post, I proudly give you the SGH Seal Of Approval my friend. I respect a man with guts. There are a lot of big players on here that has not posted Brisket. Heck there are some that hasn’t posted anything. You came out with guns blazing. My hat is off to you. Well done my friend and keep up the good work👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Outstanding first post and meteorite right there. Welcome! 
  • SGH said:
    @ckreisl1
    For having the guts to post a brisket as your first post, I proudly give you the SGH Seal Of Approval my friend. I respect a man with guts. There are a lot of big players on here that has not posted Brisket. Heck there are some that hasn’t posted anything. You came out with guns blazing. My hat is off to you. Well done my friend and keep up the good work👍

Haha thanks. Figured I might as well dive in head first.
    Washington County, MD

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 10,012
    There’s not much to say when you’ve already got the SGH seal, but that looks outstanding. Way to come out swinging and welcome aboard.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    POW-Full heal clicking salute💂‍♀️
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,520
    Welcome aboard and continue to enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    And echoing above-way to jump right into the deep end of the pool and with a home-run right there.  Congrats on that cook.  Great bark and smoke ring as well. 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • That ring looks perfect. Great job.
    LBGE, Minimax

Dallas, TX
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Nice job, you learn something from every brisket cook, my first one before I new about the forum was shoe leather. I have not had a bead one in a few years. Welcome and great cook

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • JRWhitee said:
    Nice job, you learn something from every brisket cook, my first one before I new about the forum was shoe leather. I have not had a bead one in a few years. Welcome and great cook
    Agree that searching the forum for information made it a success. And watching the Aaron Franklin PBS episodes on trimming and cooking brisket.
    Washington County, MD

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Great first post!  Welcome. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,657
    Nice looking brisket and welcome aboard!
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet