Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to build rustic (cedar) overlay doors for BGE table

Options
I'm building a table for my large BGE and the one side of the table will have either one or two (haven't decided yet) doors.  I have 2 questions:

1. How would I go about building these door(s) out of cedar (to match the rest of the table)?  These doors will be overlaying the trim.
2. Where can I find rustic hardware (door pulls and hinges) to go with these doors and table?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Stile and rail construction for the doors.  You can buy a router bit kit to do this from Harbor Freight. 
    Options
    Rustic hardware - amazon sells it.  There are a number of places that specialize in cast or blacksmithed hardware.  Cast will rust less.  or you can go with brass, bronze or (not rustic) stainless.
    Options
    Why cabinet doors? Why not a large face for a big drawer? You really want to bend down and dig in the back of the cabinet for something? Or would you rather have the whole thing pull out as a drawer and you can easily access anything stored in there? That's what I did. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    check it hobby lobby, i found some good ones there.  Mine are cow heads, seemed right.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Options
    Depends how rustic you mean. If the door will overlay the cabinet, maybe a 'board and batten' construction. There needs to be no danger of it binding when it swells up from moisture, though. A good place for all kinds of hardware is Lee Valley.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• jnovakbge
    Options
    I've decided I'm going to build a set of overlay board and batten doors for my BGE table.  I finally found the door pulls that I was looking for but now I'm trying to figure out what kind of hinge to get.  Hinges have always perplexed me....dependent on the type of door I'm installing.

So can anybody suggest what type of hinge I should install for a board and batten overlay door?  I'll be attaching the hinges to the 4x4 legs of the table so I have plenty of real estate.  There are so many different hinges on the market....and I have no idea what type/style to use.