Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

John Prine in Muhlenberg Co.

GrillSgt
GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
Both of his parents were born and raised in Paradise KY. It has to be 30 years since I’ve seen him in person. Excited as hell, 6th row. 

Comments

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Probably doesn't sound good that I have never heard of him before, but I've been listening to his songs for about 25 mins on YouTube, and I really enjoy his music.  Very cool.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • One of my favorites....I see him every chance I get.  It's like a fine wine...he just keeps getting better with age.
    Just an Ole Miss Rebel fan living in Texas.
    Hotty Toddy!
    Mansfield, TX

• Cashfan
    Cashfan Posts: 416
    That should be a great show!

I hadn't heard of him until a couple months ago, and he has become one of my favorites.

He puts on a big shoe with other artists in the Caribbean and a friend of mine os going to it next year.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Here we go again. He’s probably a never Trumper. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Cashfan said:
    That should be a great show!

I hadn't heard of him until a couple months ago, and he has become one of my favorites.

He puts on a big shoe with other artists in the Caribbean and a friend of mine os going to it next year.
    Yea in Punta Cana, helluva lineup.
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    I first heard John Prine in 1982 while in college in Helena, MT.  Good show and yes, he gets better with age.
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • Huge JP fan here as well. American Icon. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • st¡ke
    st¡ke Posts: 276
    thetrim said:
    Here we go again. He’s probably a never Trumper. 
    Non sequitur
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,095
    I saw him at PB Scotts in Blowing Rock, NC in the 80's. Good show!
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Learning that there are some folks that have never even heard of John Prine is making me feel old.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,332
    I thought this was one of those RRP "Anybody know Wes Johnson in Indy" threads
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,095
    Be on the look out for Mr Peabody's coal train.
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    The first time "I remember" seeing him was maybe 1978? at Union Grove Fiddlers Convention. I was impressed, however, My wife can't stand him. 

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• bucky925 said:
    This is still one of my favorites.   https://youtu.be/P8tTwXv4glY
    This song is one of the reasons I learned to play guitar. It’s the second song I learned to play (Blackbird was first) 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Here is a Florida based blues guy that puts on a great show. He tours around the country, and I'll keep an eye on when he publishes his 2019 tour dates.

No many sit for his concerts.

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • HeavyG said:
    Learning that there are some folks that have never even heard of John Prine is making me feel old.
    That reminds me of when a wife asks her husband "do these pants make my butt look big?" and the answer is "no, it's your butt that makes your butt look big."  =)
  • John Prine is one of my favorites. Saw him fairly recently in Charleston. He is a ledgend in my mind. His band is solid and he continues to write and put out new music. 

Enjoy the show. 

https://youtu.be/6A-pRJxCKR8
    This is great. I’ve never heard that song before. Thanks for sharing it! 
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,252
    edited December 2018
    @GrillSgt: If your date falls through, I’m easy on the eyes and can make general conversation on a wide variety of topics. Also, I’m free that night. Just saying. 

“I’m prepared to make that sacrifice.”
    10 points if you recall that related Simpsons reference. 
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    edited December 2018
     One of my favorite singer/songwriters covered this old John Prine tune. Many have, actually. But I think this is the best I have heard. Better than Raitt. Better than Tedeshi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMBwXAGEfxY
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • John Prine is one of my favorites. Saw him fairly recently in Charleston. He is a ledgend in my mind. His band is solid and he continues to write and put out new music. 

Enjoy the show. 

Just added this one to the playlist as well. She makes it sound pretty but it’s fairly simple to play (which is good for me!) 

Enjoy the show. 

Just added this one to the playlist as well. She makes it sound pretty but it’s fairly simple to play (which is good for me!) 
    What do you play, Cen-Tex?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,958
    edited December 2018
    John Prine is one of my favorites. Saw him fairly recently in Charleston. He is a ledgend in my mind. His band is solid and he continues to write and put out new music. 

Enjoy the show. 

Custom Martin for accoustic.   gift from wifey 20 years ago or so  I have a Strat as well but I never play it  

• Saw him here in Seattle a couple of months ago on his "Tree of Forgiveness" tour.  Wonderful show.  I've been a fan for eons and this was Prime Prine.  And if you don't have the record, get it before the show.
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,252
    edited December 2018
    John Prine is one of my favorites. Saw him fairly recently in Charleston. He is a ledgend in my mind. His band is solid and he continues to write and put out new music. 

Enjoy the show. 

Custom Martin for accoustic.   gift from wifey 20 years ago or so  I have a Strat as well but I never play it  

I meant instrument in general (e.g., guitar), but I’m glad you shared your piece. Very nice. I’m a bit of a player myself with 10 or so guits (and as many old tube amps). Quick shot of a subset....

Feel free to ship any guitars you don’t play my way. I run a great guitar foster home. 

Enjoy the show. 

I meant instrument in general (e.g., guitar), but I’m glad you shared your piece. Very nice. I’m a bit of a player myself with 10 or so guits (and as many old tube amps). Quick shot of a subset....

Feel free to ship any guitars you don’t play my way. I run a great guitar foster home. 
    I have an akward feeling in my nether-regions about that Gretch. That is a sexy guitar. My son and I both have been threatening to get one of those for a couple of years. I play less and less these days but he's quite good and getting better every day. Something similar to that Gretch will likely end up under the tree for him soon. I got him a nice tube amp for this year and he just bought himself a gorgeous custom Telecaster so we are good this year. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,958
    edited December 2018

Enjoy the show. 

My son is the foster home for neglected guitars in this house. I have a nice solid wood fender accoustic with rosewood neck he has run off with, another strat and a few amps to go along with his new Tele. He has eyes for the Martin but that ain’t happening. Ever. He’s developing quite the collection for a 23 year old guy. Makes me happy. 

Enjoy the show. 

My son is the foster home for neglected guitars in this house. I have a nice solid wood fender accoustic with rosewood neck he has run off with, another strat and a few amps to go along with his new Tele. He has eyes for the Martin butnthat ain’t happening. Ever. He’s developing quite the collection for a 23 year old guy. Makes me happy. 
    Sounds like he’s doing well, and that you’ve resolved to stand your ground with respect to the Martin - a wise move. Bet that thing sounds gorgeous. 

Incidentally, most of my instruments were purchased when I was about your son’s age. Not to overgeneralize, but the nice thing about quality instruments is that, unlike electronics, cars and a great deal of other consumer goods that can catch the eyes of young men, instruments can hold or even gain value over time (with you enjoying them all the while), assuming you buy at the right price. For this reason, I’ve never been afraid to throw money into instruments, provided I know what they are worth going in. Have loved and parted ways with a lot of gear.

With respect to your earlier comment, although it’s flashy (and I’m someone who certainly doesn’t seek the limelight), the big white bird is a sight to behold and to experience. So ornate and well-built. While pricey, they are worth the coin. You wouldn’t inherently suspect so, but the Falcon features one of the slickest and best playing setups of any of my guitars (and of any guitars I’ve played) - surprising for a large hollow body. Almost like a sleeper.