Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

St. Louis Style Ribs Question

Options
baldeagle7007
baldeagle7007 Posts: 26
edited November 2018 in EggHead Forum
After hundreds of pounds of ribs smoked low & slow on offset smoker and several on the Egg, I had a 1st this weekend....

6 hours @ 210-220 and ribs looked and tasted perfect.

BUT.....................No pullback on bones like normal. 

Not complaining but just wondering if this is normal for low & slow ribs on Egg.

Thank in advance, Jim
Jim

"Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in."

XL
MiniMax
MHP Gasser
Thermoworks Smoke & Thermapen

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,344
    Options
    210-220* egg temp? Were they wrapped? 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I guess in my experience this *can happen*, but there's not really anything special about the Egg that would make it more likely than an offset.  I don't think pullback is necessarily tied to how well the ribs are cooked.  It's usually a pretty good indicator that they're done, but I think it's very possible to have ribs with no pullback that are done.  

I realize that last sentence reads pretty close to incoherent, but I hope my intent is coming through. 
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    Options
    did some this weekend with just about no pullback.  what was different with these were that they were twice as meaty as i usually see.  i cooked a butt a few years ago that finished almost white, no explanation, some things just cook odd
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Pullback is not a good thing. It is a sign that the ribs are overdone. Best way to determine if ribs are ready is the toothpick test and bend test.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    Options
    dstearn said:
    Pullback is not a good thing. It is a sign that the ribs are overdone. Best way to determine if ribs are ready is the toothpick test and bend test.
    i was thinking he was talking the meat shrink along the bone cut edge but could be wrong
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • baldeagle7007
    Options
    vs

Jim

XL
    MiniMax
    MHP Gasser
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    dstearn said:
    I'm not sure that's always the case.  It really depends on how you like your ribs and how they cook.  A little bit of pullback is pretty common.  I've had ones with some pullback that still exhibited resistance at the bone.  There are degrees to these things.

In any case, I agree with the notion that there are better ways to tell when the ribs are "done".  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,382
    Options
    I have had many with no appreciable pullback.  Toothpick test for the win, every time on any type of rib cook.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    I can’t can’t explain why there’s a difference but I know I’d eat all of those ribs from both pictures if you let me...
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I have never cooked them that low, 250-275 for me so I am no help.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    We cook a lot of ribs, and do so at 225F. Sometimes we get the pull back, sometimes not. The toothpick is the one key indicator of doneness on the BGE. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • baldeagle7007
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    210-220* egg temp? Were they wrapped? 
    Not wrapped. I go back and forth on wrapping tough.
    Jim

XL
    MiniMax
    MHP Gasser