Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Life’s sudden changes

Options
Hello to everyone, to those who know me, i just wanted to say a few words on what’s going on.

Last June, i went thru emergency brain surgery to remove a tumor, it went very well, in fact my Nurusurgeon said she got 95 to 97% of it and the rest would be gotten with Chemo and Radiation.

needless to say, this eraly kicked my butt.

i’m finaly Getting my strength back, i haven’t EGGed for what seems forever AND i really miss it, in addition to this forum.

I actually had boughten a Reverse Flow Smoker a week the unexpected surgery ... with the hopes of opening a BBQ trailer or ??

Well, that’s off for now, but it’s still in the back of my mind.

Funny how life can throw you a curveball and smack you right in the face. I never in a million years thought something like this could or would happen to me. I’m just a regular guy with a family.

So here I am, I was own for the count, but have since gotten up and will make it back.

Best to everyone - Tim 
I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Wow Tim that is rough for sure!  Glad to see you back here and to hear you're doing better.  Smoke on man!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Wow Tim- so glad you are coming out the other side of this. That would be terrifying news for anyone. Big Kudos to your surgeon! Seems like yesterday you were doing your 36 hour run through Austin (waiting in line at Franklin for half of that:  :)

I can't wait to see that smoker fired up soon! 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I'd say to keep your chin up but that is obviously not necessary in your case. Life has a way of reminding us of what is really important. Best of luck moving forward. The cooker looks beautiful. Enjoy.
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    glad you won and are coming back strong. 

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Stay strong Tim. You are a great guy, and I wish you nothing but the best on your road to recovery. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • vegas slim
    Options
    i am glad you are on the way to recovery and hope you fire up that beast soon and enjoy it!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Wow!! What shock that must have been! I wondered where you'd gotten off to. Figured you were just taking a break. Some break!

Best of luck to you, my friend.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Way to hang in there and pull through. Most (including myself) could not even begin to wrap our head around what you and your family have been through. Welcome back!
    Snellville, GA

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    Options
    Thoughts and Prayers your way @SoCalTim , nice looking pit
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Good to see that things are on the up. Nice smoker too!
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    This must have been a nightmare for you and your family.  Stay strong and my thoughts and prayers for your continued recovery.  

When you are up up to it, please post pics of that new awesome looking smoker in action. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Tim....it is great to hear from you and we look forward to you getting back on the grill, Egg and forum. We all have problems and its how we handle them that defines us. Sounds like you have battled hard and much credit to you on that front. I am so happy to hear you are on the rebound and headed for more greatness. Now get that thing dirty.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    Welcome back to the forum.  Talk about a reality check.  Continue to take no prisoners and stay positive. 
    As above, looking forward to reading about your playing with your smoker.   It can be quite a stress-reliever especially given the stick feeding requirements compared to your BGE eggsperiences.   Above all, have fun!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Glad to hear things are going better! Enjoy! 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,534
    Options
    Welcome back and glad to hear you came back strong. That's a dream machine you got there!
    canuckland
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Dam Tim! Was wondering where you have been! Glad to hear you're doing better, do keep us posted. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    So glad to hear everything went good with surgery. Nice to see you back posting. I can't wait to see some cooks come off that smoker. She's a beaut!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Prayers to ya, brother!
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Damn sorry to hear that. I hope that you continue to get stronger. It’s things like this that puts things in perspective. 
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    Nice smoker and best of luck in recovery Tim! My father-in-law is going through a similar experience.
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Glad to hear a good news story like that...and glad to have you back in the circus. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Dang Tim. So sorry to hear about your medical issues. Glad to hear you've made out OK. I've always enjoyed chatting with you and look to do so again soon. Stay strong! 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,347
    Options
    Way to go! Life is strange sometimes. Glad to hear things are looking up. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Hang in there!
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    Prayers for more positive news, can’t wait to see photos of that beautiful smoker making some smoke
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Thank you to everyone for the very kind words. Tim
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Good to hear from you Tim! F$&k cancer, im happy to see you kicked it’s ass! Egg on!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Glad to have you back. 
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Good to hear from you Tim... continued prayers brother... get that egg and new smoker going... that looks like a nice one..
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"