Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: greetings from Israel

Options
JohnInCarolina
JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,948
edited October 2018 in Off Topic
On day three here.  Thought some of you would like to see a couple of pics I’ve taken so far.  These are all large format - apologies in advance for the slow loading thread.  First batch is from Tel Aviv:

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I’ll have many more posted later.  I’m headed out here soon to give a talk over at Tel Aviv University.  Speaking at Technion tomorrow.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Great post John, thank you for sharing. Please send more when you are able.
    It has been a while since I had been there. I can see from your images posted, much has changed.
    It will be interesting to get your impressions and thoughts of your time in Israel.
    Safe travels.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Awesome!!  Thanks for taking the time to share with us.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Cool John.  Have a great time. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    Nice. What's the topic of your talk? 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    Thanks for sharing @JohnInCarolina
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Terrific!  Enjoy the trip!
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    Is Jamal there?
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • SonVolt
    edited October 2018
    Options
    How I'm envisioning your talk today...

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    The children's memorial at Vad Yashem wrecked me.  You walk in and it's nearly pitch black.  All they have are very small candles all over the place in the dark, and someone is reading out the names and ages of the children lost in the Holocaust, one at a time.  I was a puddle walking out of that.  
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Nice. What's the topic of your talk? 
    The full program is here if you want to take a look:

http://www.iacmm.org.il/ISCM45/ISCM45Program.pdf

Only the first few pages are in Hebrew, after that it's in English.  My talk is the opening lecture.  It's on computational simulations of fracture.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Two of the more “interesting” spots in Jerusalem:

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    The Alabama shop cracked me up.  I was not prepared to see a photo of Nick Saban in Jerusalem, never mind Alabama hoodies, sweaters, etc.  This was the only shop even remotely like this by the way.  All of the other stores are selling local stuff.  I guess they've figured out that only Alabama fans are dumb enough to overpay for Alabama goods... in Jerusalem.  
  • SonVolt
    edited October 2018
    Options
    "This is where the Old and New Testaments were born. It is where the Quran played an important role. It is where the Torah was penned. It is also where a storeowner named Hani Imam says, “Roll Tide,” as many as 50 times a day."

This just made my day. #RollTide!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    so much history there and the pic that stands out to me is simply the one with the trees.  you need to extend the vacation somehow, call in sick from isreal
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    WOW! Good job John! Thanks for the pics and have a great time. You will be missed at Brisket Camp this weekend.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • GATraveller
    Options
    Anyone who loves history has to go at least once.  Fascinating.  Be safe.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • jdkeithbge
    Options
    Amazing trip and opportunity!  Hope you continue to have a great and safe journey.  The words "finite element modeling" give me flashbacks to my groundwater modeling course... *shudder*
    XL BGE, CGS AR & spider, 36" SS Blackstone, SMOBOT - Flower Mound, TX
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Anyone who loves history has to go at least once.  Fascinating.  Be safe.
    I appreciate the concern contained within your last comment, but really I've felt completely safe so far.  This is a fairly calm period over here.  I'm also not really going anywhere considered to be "dangerous" by say the US state dept. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Amazing trip and opportunity!  Hope you continue to have a great and safe journey.  The words "finite element modeling" give me flashbacks to my groundwater modeling course... *shudder*
    Ha!  That is what I teach at Duke at the graduate level.  
  • GATraveller
    Options
    Yea I haven't had the opportunity to go yet (bucket list) but everyone I know who has says they've felt totally safe.

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Nice trip John.  It's good to see you didn't burst into flames at any of the religious sites. 

:-)

Be safe there, and Thank you for sharing the pictures.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Nice post John, we will miss you this weekend. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • SonVolt
    Options
    I hear midnight walks along the Gaza Strip are beautiful this time of year.