Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Wings - where and what to purchase

Feeling a desire to start making wings.  Where and what does everyone purchase?  thinking my boys would like them and maybe want to help making them as well.

Never made wings before, where do I start?
Elkhorn, NE
1 large egg
28" Blackstone 

Comments

• 1voyager1voyager Posts: 451
    I buy them at Costco but regular grocery stores sell them also.

Here's my post from earlier today:

Game Day Wings
    Somewhere in Colorado
    LBGE, PGS A40 Gasser and too much Griswold cast iron cookware.
  • SSQUAL612SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,047
    Just like Forest Gump is to Shrimp there are too many recipes and methods to list here.  Try searching the forum and many will pop up...Georgia Red Hots...30 20 10 method...Dry or wet marinade...possibilities are endless and I should know...I’ve counted to infinity twice.  
    Temple, TX   XL BGE 2016, MES, 18.5 WSM,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • SaltySamSaltySam Posts: 623
    If you're feeling adventurous, check out another Egghead's link:  https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1145643/sweet-spicy-sticky-wings#latest

Kristi (Necessary Indulgences) shared her version of these wings from a restaurant in Seattle (I think) called Pik Pok.   They are KILLER.  

Word of warning, it involves cilantro and fish sauce.  Preparation is a little stinky, but these things are crazy good.  

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• I looked at the frozen party wings at Kroger the other day. Is that what I am looking for?
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone 
  • Probably, you just want wings/chicken parts that have some meat on them, I tend to use drummies most of the time, they have more to them than a normal "wing". As said earlier, there are near infinite opinions and recipes about what is the best approach. Hope that helps.

Cheers,
    Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
    I looked at the frozen party wings at Kroger the other day. Is that what I am looking for?
    Try Wingstop 
    Temple, TX   XL BGE 2016, MES, 18.5 WSM,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
    I looked at the frozen party wings at Kroger the other day. Is that what I am looking for?
    If they are uncooked then yes.
    Somewhere in Colorado
  • When I cooked whole chicken I just tossed the wings, I never saw a point to them.  But maybe I am missing out. 

Count me as a newbie who knows very little about wings.

I know there are endless opinions and recipes.  But when one doesn't know where or what to even purchase, i start asking.
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone 
    You’ve been throwing away what you need to purchase.   

• thetrimthetrim Posts: 6,807
    I recommend wings from the chicken.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrimthetrim Posts: 6,807
    I am assuming you do know that Buffalo wings are from chickens and not buffaloes?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
    Is that because a buffalo won't fit in a large Egg???
    Somewhere in Colorado
  • CornholioCornholio Posts: 294
    thetrim said:
    I am assuming you do know that Buffalo wings are from chickens and not buffaloes?
    Lies!

Orange, CA - LBGE
  • northGAcocknorthGAcock Posts: 11,308
    I purchase mine fresh from Earthfare. No antibiotics, never frozen, blah blah blah. Bottom line, buying fresh from a good source is what I look for. 
    Columbia, South Carolina with a Medium, MiniMax & a 17" Blackstone

“Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil.”
  • SSQUAL612 said:
    You’ve been throwing away what you need to purchase.   

Yep, in the trash they go.  Maybe I am missing out.
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone 
  • thetrim said:
    I guess I am over thinking 
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone 
  • RockyTopDWRockyTopDW Posts: 189
    for your first time, go indirect at 375.  raise them up, close to the dome.  this helps get them crisp. 
  • TN_EggerTN_Egger Posts: 623
    Indirect, 400*, 30 min, flip, 20 min, sauce, 10 min.  You're welcome.

A BGE chiminea, a small and a 17" BS in Las Cruces, NM

• TN_Egger said:
    Indirect, 400*, 30 min, flip, 20 min, sauce, 10 min.  You're welcome.
    Thanks
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone 
  • FoghornFoghorn Posts: 6,856
    As mentioned there are a bunch of ways to do wings.  I think of them as having 2 basic methods.  One is to marinate them and cook them in while they are soaked in the marinade.  The other (my preference) is to dry rub them and then when they are cooked you can either eat them as is - or sauce them.  I learned on here to use a bowl with the sauce - like they do at wing restaurants.  I prefer the latter because the wings are crisper.  

Many people mix some corn starch in with their rub and let the wings sit uncovered in the refrigerator overnight because that also gets the skin to be more crisp.

While it probably seems like the goal is to get perfect wings the first time, it's unlikely to happen.  But by the 10th time you've done wings they'll likely be excellent.

Good luck.

XL BGE, Klose BYC, ProQ Excel, Weber Kettle, Firepit, Grand Turbo gasser, and a portable Outdoor Gourmet gasser for tailgating

San Antonio, TX

• RockyTopDWRockyTopDW Posts: 189
    I prefer the rub, then sauce method.  
  • Costco Party pack wings are awesome 
  • I truly appreciate everyone's input.  Never been a wing guy, but ideas can change.  Will make some soon
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone 
  • THEBuckeyeTHEBuckeye Posts: 4,089
    edited September 9
    Find a source for FRESH JUMBO WINGS. Then, you can eggsperiment with rubs, sauces, etc. Cook at 350-375 raised direct. 15-18 minutes a side to 180 degrees.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• stv8rstv8r Posts: 724
    piece of advice...convince your significant other how great the drums are so you get all the flats =)
  • td66snrftd66snrf Posts: 1,432
    I truly appreciate everyone's input.  Never been a wing guy, but ideas can change.  Will make some soon
    @ElkhornHusker ; What the heck do order for an appetizer at the sports bar?
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • td66snrf said:
    I truly appreciate everyone's input.  Never been a wing guy, but ideas can change.  Will make some soon
    @ElkhornHusker ; What the heck do order for an appetizer at the sports bar?
    Never ordered wings, like I said never the point.  Usually stuck with nachos.
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone 
  • Costco. I've always had good luck.

Weber Genesis CP310; Weber Q1200 (camping); LBGE.

"If you haven't heard a rumour by 8:30 am - start one"

• Photo EggPhoto Egg Posts: 8,404
    edited September 10
    thetrim said:
    I guess I am over thinking 
    With Chicken Wings being so popular almost everywhere, and it's never been a big enough deal to even try them somewhere to know that you like them, I would not waste time trying to cook them.
    Just spend a couple bucks and try them the next couple times you are eating out. Even our local grocery store makes pretty good wings.
    Much harder trying cook something going in blind on what you like.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas