Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First pork butt

Options
Ridgehunter
Ridgehunter Posts: 28
Smoked my first pork butt this past weekend, everything went pretty good, cooked at s internal temp of 250 degrees, when I got to 166 degrees i hit the stall for three hours. Sixteen hours later I hit 202 degrees took it off and wrapped it and let it set for an hour. After that the bone pulled out perfectly and it was great. Next time the only thing idIdoI differently is raise my temperature to 325 to push thru the stall to save a few hours.

Comments

• kingsmoke
    kingsmoke Posts: 151
    Options
    Nice job.. good looking bark !
    Grand Rapids , Mi
    LBGE -  28Blackstone - Saber grill
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,544
    Options
    Looks awesome... I do mine now around 290 or so.  Takes about an hour per pound. Able to start one at 8am and pull it off around 4pm to wrap and hold till time to eat....
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    272 is my go to for pork. Low enough to form a great bark vs char/burnt yet high enough it saves significant time. 

Try fat side down next time and then wrap at ~5 hours in butcher paper for the last ~2