Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilled Chicken Breasts with North African Spice Paste

Options
Theophan
Theophan Posts: 2,654
I tried a new recipe this evening, really liked it!  I won't say it dazzled me, but it was delicious and different than anything I'd had before -- a nice change.  Most grilled chicken recipes I've made have at least a touch of something sweet in them, and this one was completely savory: chiles, coriander, cumin, caraway, garlic, pepper, salt, olive oil. It didn't have me marinate, just apply the paste and grill.  I think another time I'll try leaving it on overnight.

It's from Gourmet magazine, which I dearly, dearly loved, years ago, and still miss.

Grilled Chicken Breasts with North African Spice Paste

Comments

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    It looks delicious. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Give me more.  Delicious grub brother.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Nice!

I bet marinating the chix in that paste will really kick it up a notch. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Looks great! Boneless breasts get a bad wrap, but I like them when cooked properly. 

OT: I picked up a tip from Serious Eats that's really amped up my boneless skinless chicken breast game - reserve ~1/4-1/2 cup of the unused marinade (whisk your spice rub into some olive oil if needed) and pour over the plated breasts after you pull them off the grill. You get an additional fresh blast of the rub/marinade flavor that really compliments it well. Also to slice your breasts length-wise in half along the edge. They cook quicker with less risk of drying out. 

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Very nice.
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Thanks, everybody, for the kind comments!  :)

And @SonVolt:
    SonVolt said:
    ... slice your breasts length-wise in half along the edge. They cook quicker with less risk of drying out.
    I didn't feel like messing with them, this time, so I left them as-is.  But I agree with you. Most of the time when I grill chicken breasts, I follow Melissa Clark's method, on the NY Times cooking site: Grilled Chicken Breast in Three Simple Steps:
    1. Pounding the breasts to even out the thickness (which your method of slicing them produces a similar result to),
    2. Marinating them aggressively with salt and aromatics, then
    3. Grilling them hot and fast.
    Again, I was lazy this time and just put the paste on them and grilled 'em up.  They were good the way they were, but I do think they tend to be better when I do it Melissa's way.