Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

hmmm, Korea is now in Hawaii? Boy oh boy am I confused!

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
After all the talk, recipes and finally finding gochujang I decided to try some on baby back ribs Sunday. As I happened to be looking through our pantry today I found this "Korean Barbecue" seasoning mix.  I figured I might use some of it on part of the ribs, gochujang on some and for my wife the other third of the rack.

THEN what I saw finally hit me! "Taste the Flavor of Hawaii"???

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    Jacksonville FL
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    You can't go wrong with Gochujang it's a great addition and a little different than Siracha.

Was Korean BBQ a bring me home from a Hawaiian vacation 
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Korean immigration to Hawaii brought kimchi and built barbecue pits to cook marinated meats. Korean style bulgogi or boneless meat with moderately-sweet garlic sauce and galbi or meat with bones and moderately-sweet garlic sauce as well, and another Korean favorite bibimbab or mixed rice with seasoned vegetables, namul, sweet and spicy gochujang and bulgogi topping also became an integral part of Hawaiian cuisine
    Ron, I don’t know about that Gochujang, kind of sounds like a foreign venereal disease to me ;)  
    On a separate note, I’m fixing to eat 18 gingerbread men made by Anderson’s Bakery that was givin to me as an early Fathers Day gift. There is no place like home my friend, and I’m glad to be home. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I heard this is a soft on the palette. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    SGH said:
    Ron, I don’t know about that Gochujang, kind of sounds like a foreign venereal disease to me ;)  
    On a separate note, I’m fixing to eat 18 gingerbread men made by Anderson’s Bakery that was givin to me as an early Fathers Day gift. There is no place like home my friend, and I’m glad to be home. 

Looks like somebody missed  old DAD!!! Again, buddy...welcome home!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    @Lit

You sir,are an ASSHollle

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    edited June 2018
    Lit said:

So many places to go with that one, probably pretty hard once in the palette =)
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    EGGjlmh said:
    @Lit

You sir,are an ASSHollle
    Yes. Yes I am
  • Korean immigration to Hawaii brought kimchi and built barbecue pits to cook marinated meats. Korean style bulgogi or boneless meat with moderately-sweet garlic sauce and galbi or meat with bones and moderately-sweet garlic sauce as well, and another Korean favorite bibimbab or mixed rice with seasoned vegetables, namul, sweet and spicy gochujang and bulgogi topping also became an integral part of Hawaiian cuisine
    Thanks @nolaegghead. I just got sat down after 14 hours of prepping and smoking for a 60 person event tomorrow and didn’t have the energy to pass along an Asian pacific history lesson. 

Ron, I’ll send you some Korean dishes some buddies stationed in Hawaii and South Korea got pretty on point with later next week. 

Sounds like you may may need to update your passport and do a little traveling. That korean chili paste got you fired up.   

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    Korean immigration to Hawaii brought kimchi and built barbecue pits to cook marinated meats. Korean style bulgogi or boneless meat with moderately-sweet garlic sauce and galbi or meat with bones and moderately-sweet garlic sauce as well, and another Korean favorite bibimbab or mixed rice with seasoned vegetables, namul, sweet and spicy gochujang and bulgogi topping also became an integral part of Hawaiian cuisine
    The vast majority of the population of Hawaii is of Asian descent (white folks are only about a quarter of the populace) - Korea, Japan, China, Philippines. So no surprise a lot of that regional food is there.

Even so , it is kinda funny to talk about "Korean BBQ" as "Taste the Flavor of Hawaii" - that's the kind of thinking that gives haoles a bad name. :)

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    French cooking - taste the flavor of New Orleans.
    logchief said:
    Lit said:

So many places to go with that one, probably pretty hard once in the palette =)
    Lived in Jamaica for a few years. I ate this soup all the time. I know some will giggle and think it’s funny, but it’s good!