Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Remember your first time

mlc2013mlc2013 Posts: 671
edited June 15 in EggHead Forum
setting up your new egg that is, taking the little nuts and bolts and carefully tightening them down. Making sure your ever so careful with the ceramics and everything is so clean and looks so nice. Lining up the logo so it sits perfectly in front with the handle. Well I had that feeling again today!! I decided to reward myself for the table I just finished; https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1213975/it-took-6-weeks-longer-then-i-expected-and-cost-3-times-as-much-but-at-least-i-can-say-i-built-it#latest
I bought a MM and a L over the winter and said I will not open them up until I build the eggs proper tables. Well I built 1 of the 3 tables I need to build so far and said that was worth a little reward for me so the little guys coming out to play. Doesn't he look so cute next to his big brother!! A parents love is unmatched. I was so excited that I didn't want to walk back to the sed to get fresh RW lump so I just took a few handfuls of RW from the XL and put it in the MM and it is now preheating getting ready to make me some Lamb Shish kababs that Ive been meaning to try.
Wow does the little guy come to temp quick. In the time it took me to write this and download the pictures maybe 15 minutes my dome temp was already at 400 (all vents opened wide) so I just adjusted them to how I would adjust my XL to get 350 lets see how much different it is for the MM. While I wait for the lump to burn off a little back to this little guy did I tell you how cute he is.

Okay down to business:
I ground some lamb some spices and vegetables and made a few skewers just to try it out. No real recipe just a little of this and a pinch of that.
Going to get the dome to 350 and put them on direct and see what happens

Long Island NY    
1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18

Comments

• logchieflogchief Posts: 1,346
    edited June 15
    Mine was already assembled. I still think that table is great
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • CTMikeCTMike Posts: 1,806
    I remember my first time. I went to bed with a Medium and woke up with an XL. (Shudders)
    Obviously beer goggles were involved. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

Southeastern CT. 
  • blastingblasting Posts: 5,878
    I remember my first time. I went to bed with a Medium and woke up with an XL. (Shudders)

Literally laughed out loud.
    Phoenix 
  • mlc2013mlc2013 Posts: 671
    blasting said:

Literally laughed out loud.
    as did I
    Long Island NY    
  • JohnInCarolinaJohnInCarolina Posts: 12,440
    You haven’t truly lived until you wake up next to one you don’t recognize from the night before.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." - NdGT

"The truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand." - DT

Man this little guy does not lose heat at all. I closed the vents to what I thought was appropriate for 350-400 and she climbed to 450, I guess there is going to be a learning curve with this one
    Long Island NY    
    logchief thanks again, I can build you one if you like it should only take about 2-3 years to complete 
    Long Island NY    
  • dmchicagodmchicago Posts: 1,310
    This brought s tear to my eye. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • DoubleEggerDoubleEgger Posts: 13,153
    You haven’t truly lived until you wake up next to one you don’t recognize from the night before.
    The good ol’ coyote 
  • GulfcoastguyGulfcoastguy Posts: 1,902
    Mopeds are fun to ride but you don’t want your friends to find out.
  • JohnInCarolinaJohnInCarolina Posts: 12,440
    Mopeds are fun to ride but you don’t want your friends to find out.

"If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." - NdGT

"The truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand." - DT

• SonVoltSonVolt Posts: 1,058
    Yep, just like it was last week. Cause it was. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
    SonVolt: thats awesome, enjoy the ride and remember your feeling now so you can smile at the egg in 10 years from now just like you do today

Long Island NY    
  • 1voyager1voyager Posts: 432
    ...and your lump is gone.
    Somewhere in Colorado
    LBGE, PGS A40 Gasser
  • SandyHookEggerSandyHookEgger Posts: 229
    Big ones need love ❤️ too.
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 27,972
    I remember most of my first time.  Starting with alcohol, a blond waitress I worked with and her T-top Trans-Am, finally a Howard Johnson's (no relationship to Wes). 

nolaegghead and im assuming somewhere in there you starting egging or saw an egg or assembled your egg. I know the HoJo by me all dont have eggs?? JK I love blonde waitress hell any waiter or waitress as long as the bring me food
    Long Island NY    
    nolaegghead
    also no pictures it never happened

Long Island NY    
  • NautiRogueNautiRogue Posts: 117
    That's an awesome table!  Congrats on the new MM.  You'll love it!

We have an XL, a Mini Max, and a new Medium as of yesterday.  We keep the MM up at our marina on Lake Michigan during the summer, so the XL and the Medium work well for home.
    NautiRogue THANK YOU and same to you, I was on the fence between the medium and the large in fact I was going to buy the medium but my dealer talked me into the large and a M/M instead of the medium. the large was on sale for less then $50.00 more the the medium at the time so it was a no brainer. Let me know how you like the medium I would be interested to know how fast it lights and how it holds/changes temp compared to the XL. I already see the M/M is very different then the XL after 1 cook on it so Im going to have to learn the vent setting for desired temp again
    Long Island NY    
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 27,972
    mlc2013 said:
    nolaegghead and im assuming somewhere in there you starting egging or saw an egg or assembled your egg. I know the HoJo by me all dont have eggs?? JK I love blonde waitress hell any waiter or waitress as long as the bring me food
    Whoops, sorry, I just read the thread title. 

Beautiful table and cook, btw...

nolaegghead:dont be sorry I loved the story and I'm still waiting for pictures; I only said what I said as to stir things up a bit

Long Island NY