Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

SRF Kurobuta Spare Ribs - How Long?

HofstraJetHofstraJet Posts: 1,123
edited June 3 in EggHead Forum
I recall since these are smaller and less meaty than regular spares, they cook much faster. Any experience on how long they will take? Was thinking around 250-275 but am open to suggestions. Thanks!
Two Large Eggs, 36" Blackstone, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in SE Florida - My New Table
Twitter: @ Bags
Blog: TheJetsFan.com

Comments

• bgebrentbgebrent Posts: 16,625
    Just trust the pull from the bone and the toothpick. They’ll cook more like baby backs. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SSQUAL612SSQUAL612 Posts: 969
    I cooked a couple racks a while back...did not wrap & took about 5 hours at 275.

SoCal  XL BGE 2016, MES, 18.5 WSM,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • ColtsFanColtsFan Posts: 1,903
    You're in for a treat! 
    Two large BGE, KJ Jr, 36" Blackstone, FlameBoss 300
    Follow me on Instagram @ hoosier_egger
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!
  • HofstraJetHofstraJet Posts: 1,123
    Thanks.  Cook postponed until one night this week.
    Two Large Eggs, 36" Blackstone, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in SE Florida - My New Table
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 17,065
    As above, toothpick for the win.  Fool-proof. No personal experience with those exceptional ribs but I would start early so as to nail the finish-line.  FWIW-

Louisville;  L & S BGEs, PBC, Lang 36; Burnin' wood in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer.  
  • JohnInCarolinaJohnInCarolina Posts: 11,835
    SSQUAL612 said:
    I cooked a couple racks a while back...did not wrap & took about 5 hours at 275.

Dude... those look insane.  What rub, sauce did you use?  I would tear those up right now.  
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." - NdGT

"The truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand." - DT

edited June 4
    The ribs are on. 275 with guava wood for smoke. Oakridge Dominator Sweet Rib Rub. 

• SSQUAL612SSQUAL612 Posts: 969
    SSQUAL612 said:

Dude... those look insane.  What rub, sauce did you use?  I would tear those up right now.  
    Thanks for the compliments...These were some of my best...here’s the combo I used. 

SoCal  XL BGE 2016, MES, 18.5 WSM,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 14,031
    That Lillie's sauce is legit. Received some as a gift for Father's Day 2 years ago.
  • How did these turn out? 
    LBGE
  • SonVoltSonVolt Posts: 720
    Lillie's is the best supermarket sauce I've ever had. Surprisingly good quality. Anyone know who makes it, back story etc?
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
    How did these turn out? 
    Oops. Forgot to post pics. 4 hours at 275 was a bit much for the outside - should have wrapped at 3 hours. And ends that extended beyond PS were burnt. Inside was just a bit overdone, but still very tasty. Next time, will ensure nothing hangs over and will check earlier.

Pre-sauce

Post-Sauce

Interior

• FockerFocker Posts: 8,364
    Looks great!
    In my experiences, heritage ribs tend to finish faster than the standard fare, even spares.  Oakridge is awesome.  Secret Weapon here.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• JohnInCarolinaJohnInCarolina Posts: 11,835
    SSQUAL612 said:
    SSQUAL612 said:

Thanks for the compliments...These were some of my best...here’s the combo I used. 

Thanks for this.  I’ll be trying this combo out myself soon.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." - NdGT

"The truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand." - DT

• gdenbygdenby Posts: 5,989
    Coming into this thread a bit late. If the rack was somewhat thinner than usual, expect a faster time to done no matter what breed. I've done Berkshire slabs, the parent breed of Kurubota, and they cooked only slightly faster than commodity ribs of the same size.

I have some Lillie's "Hot Smoky" on hand. Definitely good stuff.