Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini vs Mini Max vs Jumbo Joe

Options
I'm curious if anyone decided to go with a Weber Joe or Jumbo Joe vs a Mini/Mini Max? I know they're all different animals, but sort of same basic idea-ish. 

I am 9 months into an XL, and thinking about something portable. Naturally I want another Egg; however, justifying 6x the cost for a MM vs Jumbo Joe...for something I'd use infrequently. Just curious and I know  I'm not the first to consider these options. 
Located Middle GA

Current: XL w/ Woo & 17" Half Moon Plates, SMOBOT

RIP: Weber 22" Kettle, Slow 'n Sear, Akorn Jr., Pit Barrel Cooker

Comments

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Since buying it, i use my MM much more than my XL.  Just makes sense most nights 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    I really enjoy my Mini. Not worth the price of admission though in my opinion. I found my mini used for $100. I think it's worth about that for the limited size you get out of it.

Don't forget about the Small BGE. It works like it's bigger siblings. Plus it's only 4 lbs heavier than the Minimax for traveling. Just a thought anyways 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • distanceman
    distanceman Posts: 138
    Options
    @johnnyp that's partly why I'm afraid to go with the MM haha. But I guess different tools for different purposes. 

@WeberWho Good input, thanks. I'll keep my eye on the mini for a good price and also look into the small. 
    Located Middle GA

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Check out an Akorn Jr. It’s lightweight and portable without the concerns of cracking your ceramic egg while transporting it. It’ll cool faster than the heat absorbing ceramic which is better for tailgating etc. Great price point for infrequent use too. 
  • tenpenny_05
    tenpenny_05 Posts: 286
    edited June 2018
    Options
    watch the first part of this video (I really like Justin, you should subscribe) he really sums up the minimax well. 
    The akorn Jr and the jumbo Joe are both way better options for what you are looking for.
    https://youtu.be/19rRJgY5uAM
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I have the three you listed, and the Akorn jr. I leave eggs at home. The risk and hassle is not worth the charcoal savings and slightly better product. I always recommend the jumbo joe for portability, they can’t be beat. I have two. They travel great and cook as much as a large egg. 

• BugFreak72
    BugFreak72 Posts: 246
    Options
    If you buy a Weber I would suggest the Smokey Mtn instead of the Joe. I have the 18in and the 14in and both are very portable. I bring the 14in on rv trips all the time. Take out the middle section and set the grate on the charcoal basket and it works just like the Joe. It's the best of both worlds, a smoker and grill in one portable unit.

I've even used my 18in for low country boils by setting the pot right on the grate directly over the charcoal basket.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    Check out an Akorn Jr. It’s lightweight and portable without the concerns of cracking your ceramic egg while transporting it. It’ll cool faster than the heat absorbing ceramic which is better for tailgating etc. Great price point for infrequent use too. 
    Plus it’s way easier to keep clean.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Plus it’s way easier to keep clean.
    I haven’t made fun of your dirty egg in a while. Don’t bait me. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I sold my minimax and got a jumbo joe for beach trips camping etc. im happy with the trade. I think they are $40-$50,Lightweight, cools down fast, don’t have to worry about breaking ceramics, and has a bigger grill area. Im not doing low and slow on a minimax size egg anyway and as a grill, the jumbo joe is every bit as good as a MM. I actually prefer it

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • distanceman
    distanceman Posts: 138
    Options
    Thanks again for the recommendations. I'll check em out. Ironically I sold an Akorn Jr. after I bought the XL. I do like the idea of an 18" portable grill, and I'll also relook at the Akorn Jr and WSM 18". 
    Located Middle GA

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I had a large and a mini. I had gotten to the point where the mini was my primary cooker... until my dog knocked over the table it was on and trashed it. I replaced it with a Smokey Joe. Meh.

Then I bought an Akorn Jr and that's almost all I use now. I still use the large from time to time, but mostly, the Akorn gets the call. And as with the mini, it travels well. The Webers (SJ and 22 1/2) get nuthin'.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

A medium for the backyard would compliment your XL perfectly, then a 50 JJ for portability.  Pretty much perfect.

Phoenix 
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    I have a mini and large egg. I found the mini for $250 brand new/full warranty from a local place going out of business. Happy with my setup but sounds like you need a little more space. You should get a Blackstone to round everything out. 
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I own a MMx, it has become a workhorse. We use it for vacations, camping, tailgating, week night cooks when it is just my beautiful wife and I, and also during big cooks to keep the apples going.
    Very fond of the MMx and would replace it in a heartbeat, if anything happened to it.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    A few years ago I bought a Kamado Joe Jr. rather than a MiniMax. Quite a bit cheaper at the time (might still be - not sure). I don't really consider either of those to be easily portable but the KJ Jr. is a dozen pounds or so lighter than the Max. My KJ Jr. is my most used grill these days.

I bought an Akorn Jr. last summer just cuz it was on a great sale and I wanted to check one out. It's probably not a life long purchase as it will likely rust out in less than a decade but it is about the same grid size as the other two and about half the weight of a KJ Jr.

Just depends on what you would define as portable. If you're ok with humping around the weight of a Max or KJ Jr. I'd go with one of those. If they are too heavy I'd go with the Akron Jr.

However, if I was just looking for something to grill stuff on the beach or a picnic I'd go with the Weber Jumbo Joe for the light weight and larger grid.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• GregC
    GregC Posts: 91
    Options
    Just bought a MiniMax several weeks ago, used it 4 times a week since. Was a great choice for me.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I like having them all honestly.
    Small egg and transporter for times I want an egg that behaves like it's older sibling on the tailgate.
    14 WSM for smoking and portability perched on a picnic table.
    Akorn Jr for ease and beaterability, theft deterrence, again perched on a picnic table.
    Jumbo Joe for large egg real estate.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    Theft deterence because no one would want it enough to bother stealing it? 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited June 2018
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Theft deterence because no one would want it enough to bother stealing it? 
    Yeah, and I wouldn't be as pi$$ed as if the egg and custom table went stolen. 

The Akorn Jr. has a cover, which is nice.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."