Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Had dinner with the Dean of the Culinary Institute of America

Options
Foghorn
Foghorn Posts: 9,846
At one of my national professional meetings where I have a leadership role, I was asked on relatively short notice to arrange a dinner for 12 of us with our keynote speaker - the Dean of the Culinary Institute of America - and his wife. Thanks to the education and friendships that I’ve garnered from this site, I was well positioned for the task. As the meeting is in Austin, I reached out to @The Cen-Tex Smoker and he steered me to a couple of options that have CIA grads as their chef/owners. 

We ended up at a great Spanish restaurant in an unimpressive neighborhood near a strip joint and a tattoo parlor. Fortunately, I know Centex well enough to trust him so as we pulled into the parking lot I was able to confidently reassure everybody that I had driven us to the right place (6 of us, including the chef and his wife were in my dented 2002 minivan with only 3 hub caps...).

We started the evening at the bar tasting different red vermouths and had some Albariño and rioja with dinner. The conversation was great - as was the food. 

Thanks to Centex and to everyone who has contributed to my ability to play a constructive role in an event like this - like @20stone,  @caliking, @Mickey, @Village Idiot , @Spring Chicken , @Spring Hen , @nolaegghead , etc

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

Comments

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    edited May 2018
    Options
    That looks like one of those dinners where the chef knows what’s up (or who’s up) and just keeps bringing stuff out. 

Looks like a great meal. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Foghorn
    Options
    @20stone, yes it was a great meal. We had our guest of honor order for the table. He did not disappoint. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Amazing spread!  Sounds like a great time.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Thanks @bgebrent, it was as much fun as I’ve ever had over a meal. 

San Antonio, TX

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Cool story, and the name of that restaurant is...
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    Love it!  There are more than a few people here I’d trust with restaurant recommendations, and CT is right up there (mostly because I know he asks Janelle).
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Damn. I was in St Augustine at Thai House having to suffer thru this snapper. 
    Next time I will stay home and wait for my invitation 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,392
    Options
    Better to be lucky than good any day.  Home-run right there.  What a great looking table.  Congrats.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    Outstanding!! When is he going to choose the restaurant for your next meal?
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Awesome spread. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Dinner with the head of the CIA......thats strong! 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,108
    Options
    Very cool!  I bet the Chef appreciated not going to Outback or On the Border!
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Legume said:
    Bullfight. Great place. That octopus is
    legit. Sous Vide then Grilled over wood. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Glad it worked out. That neighborhood is what we will call “industrial” :lol:
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    You find some of the best food in the unlikeliest of places.  Somebody should do a TV show based on that idea.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,187
    edited May 2018
    Options
    You find some of the best food in the unlikeliest of places.  Somebody should do a TV show based on that idea.
    Usually the nicer the facility, the worse the food is. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Houston is mostly "industrial".

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    Options
    Fog, that sounds like a most excellent evening of food, friends, and spirits. 

Let me know next time, and I'll roll up in my Hyundai Santa Fe - cracked windshield, dings, dents, scrapes, and all.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:

Let me know next time, and I'll roll up in my Hyundai Santa Fe - cracked windshield, dings, dents, scrapes, and all.
    You will never beat Fog in a “guy who should be driving a nicer car” contest. He wears it like a badge of honor. He will break out the 1999 Honda Del Sol on your ass and it’s over. 
  • caliking
    Options
    caliking said:

You will never beat Fog in a “guy who should be driving a nicer car” contest. He wears it like a badge of honor. He will break out the 1999 Honda Del Sol on your ass and it’s over. 
     A case of  “joining them” not “beating them” :) Just trying to add to the “industrial “ ambience. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:
    caliking said:

A case of  “joining them” not “beating them” :) Just trying to add to the “industrial “ ambience. 
    Fair enough. Just wanted to make sure you knew what you were in for. 
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Legume said:
    Bullfight. Great place. That octopus is
    legit. Sous Vide then Grilled over wood. 
    Been there. Great Place. Solid Choice.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 458
    Options
  • Foghorn
    Options
    caliking said:
    caliking said:

@caliking is used to finishing 2nd to me.

And for the record, I wish it was a 1999.  It's a 1993.

San Antonio, TX

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Sounds like a great time to remember for years!

Your story about the place being in an industrial area reminds me of the best steakhouse in Peoria.  Since the 1960's where it began in a very rough part of town where you might get robbed going in to eat, or robbed after you got out! And driving a nice car with parking on the street that was sure to label you as a sure fire target! Since then they moved up to nicer and nicer digs in the well lit and patrolled downtown Peoria.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Foghorn
    Options
    I should have added that when he spoke to us, his message was that they key to chef success is "mise en place" (pronounced "meez ahn plahs")

https://www.reluctantgourmet.com/mise-en-place/

San Antonio, TX

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    So, how did the Dean enjoy the strip joint?
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    That sounds like it was a special evening. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Foghorn
    Options
    So, how did the Dean enjoy the strip joint?

@GrateEggspectations, he enjoyed it quite a bit.  Rated it 8.5 on a 10 scale.  And given the upper limit of what he has access to that seemed fair.

Wait.  I'm actually referring to the restaurant.   Really.

San Antonio, TX

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    caliking said:
    caliking said:

@caliking is used to finishing 2nd to me.

And for the record, I wish it was a 1999.  It's a 1993.
    I was giving you the benefit of the doubt.