Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza...On my EGG!! Not a typo.

Options
I haven't egged a pizza in nearly five years! Oven only. Made a batch of Lahey's no-knead-ready-in-8-hours dough three mornings ago, but by evening, I had a power outage. Gotta use a grill regardless of what I cook so I might as well throw the pie on. If I still remember how. =) First, I had to find all the egg furniture for a pizza cook. Couldn't find what I used to use, but what I did come up with was actually a little better (a bit higher in the dome). Now, where's 700° on this contraption?

I can do 725° in my very old kitchen oven and prefer my pizza results at 650-700. I've stopped doing it though because I know my next oven won't allow it so I might as well get used to it. So, I got the egg to near 700 and launched a pepperoni pie! Only took a few minutes to cook and I have to say it was one of the best pizzas I have done! Spun it a few times so it was evenly cooked. Crust was more crisp than they have been of late. Better!! Not better than my oven at 700+, but better than my oven at 550. Come to think of it, I used bread flour this time instead of the AP called for in the recipe. That probably made a difference as well. 

Got some leopard spots on the bottom too, even with my stone. A steel would have been better. Looks like I'm finally going to make that trip to the steel store to buy a piece to fit my egg! Not a single pic of the power outage pie... hey, it was dark!

But that was three days ago. Since I still had more dough, I decided to have another last night. On the egg again. With my first use of the underwhelming Rockwood this time. Used mozz of course, but added cheddar and Locatelli Romano too. Here ya go...

The Rockwood took a LONG time to get here. Got tired of waiting for 700° so...

Almost there...

et fini...

Looks like I could have let the stone heat up a bit more, but it took so long to get even this hot, I gave up.

As for the Rockwood... I bought it just to see what all the fuss was about. I know what all the fanboys say and admittedly, this was just one cook, but I don't see it. Slow to light, took forever to get to temp (even with a Smokeware fire grate and a wiggle rod!), not that much less bad smoke than RO. In short, not impressed. Next up, Cowboy. :rofl:

But the pie was great and I'll likely do more on the egg. And stick with the bread flour. Now to get that steel! =) 

Thanks for looking!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    That looks like a perfect pie. 
    1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    Outstanding.  Simply outstanding.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Great pie!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    That’s an awesome looking pie! 

Do you use a steel when doing pizza indoors? I found that it tends to scorch the dough at temps over 550ish. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    We're proud of you!!!  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Nice pie!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • DWFII
    DWFII Posts: 317
    Options
    So...any pics of the set up to show how you got the stone so high in the dome?
    Bespoke boot and shoemaker--45+ years
    Instagram
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Thanks, guys.

@caliking, yes, my steel is about 14x17" and it lives in my oven, center rack. I've done pies at 500-725°, usually by preheating to target temp and then switching to Broil. Wait a minute or two and launch the pie. Do not answer the phone or otherwise get sidetracked!!! It takes only a couple of minutes.

These two were done that way. 600° as I recall, though it's been a while (2015). One after the other, no pause. The tops were the same, but the bottom of the first was seriously leopard-spotted, the second not so much. Both were good.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    edited March 2018
    Options
    DWFII said:
    So...any pics of the set up to show how you got the stone so high in the dome?
    No, but I can go take a pic. It's just a platesetter, legs down and a small CI grid on stilts (which I had assembled for some unremembered purpose), then pizza stone. Not all that high, just higher than what I used to do. Want higher, use longer bolts.

Lousy pic, but here ya go...

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Those look good enough to eat.
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    Something doesn't look quite right here...

Aren't homemade pizzas supposed to be shaped like an amoeba? 
    Gittin' there...
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Something doesn't look quite right here...

Aren't homemade pizzas supposed to be shaped like an amoeba? 
    Once in a while... :rofl:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited March 2018
    Options

Q....I see you are starting to come around. Not sure you are gonna appreciate the finer lump on the pizza cook. You keep sperimenting.....it looks good on ya!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Carolina Q
    Options

Q....I see you are starting to come around. Not sure you are gonna appreciate the finer lump on the pizza cook. You keep sperimenting.....it looks good on ya!
    Doesn't matter. When what I bought is gone, it's gone.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    That pizza looked good.  Give Fogo a try if you can find it.  Good stuff!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Hahaha, excellent! =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Pie looks most eggcellent.  Love the pepperoni grease pools.  Was finally able to track down a log of Boar's Head pepperoni for my next one.

Don't fret on the koolaid lump.  My first, and only, bag of RW sparked worse than the Mesquite crap from Sam's Club.  Haven't looked back.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• bgebrent
    Options
    Rockwood rules.  Y'all got lemons.  No Koolaid here.
  • Focker
    Options
    Are you high?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Pizza in a egg coming from you? I'm on the way to go buy a lottery ticket!

Pie looks great.  =)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Focker said:
    Are you high?
    Elevation is 1,250.  Not high.  Are you drunk?
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    LOL, I forgot to mention the sparks. It did that too. Every bit as much as RO.

I prefer Margherita pepperoni, but it's getting harder to find. Supposedly, Walmart carries it, but I'm not there often and haven't thought to look. This pie has Boar's Head which is fine.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    Options
    LOL, I forgot to mention the sparks. It did that too. Every bit as much as RO.

I prefer Margherita pepperoni, but it's getting harder to find. Supposedly, Walmart carries it, but I'm not there often and haven't thought to look. This pie has Boar's Head which is fine.
    Thanks.  I've had the Marg, found it at Wally World.  Decided to try BH, found it at Schnucks, grocer out of St Louis.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Focker said:
    Are you high?
    Not yet.  ;)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• bgebrent
    Options
    RW is sparky if you torch light it.  Koolaid worthy everyday.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Focker said:
    bgebrent said:
    Focker said:
    Are you high?
    Not yet.  ;)
    Wishing you an early opportunity as it is the weekend!
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    I’d be worried if it didn’t spark when I put a 3700 degree flame to it. 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    I’d be worried if it didn’t spark when I put a 3700 degree flame to it. 
    It is the best product on the market period.  Ron said so.  It's true.  Boating tomorrow!  You?
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
    Options
    Great looking pizzas ...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------