Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: NASCAR - Luv it or Hate it. Explain why.

nolaegghead
nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
There was no car racing category so this is in OT.

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,867
    There was no car racing category so this is in OT.

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,810
    I loved it back in the 70’s and early 80’s. I liked it from the mid 80’s to the early 90’s. From there to present I kind of lost interest. I will watch it on a rainy day when I can’t get outside. But I don’t follow it anymore. It’s got to liberal for me. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    From what I’ve heard, to be there (especially in the infield) is an incredible experience.  

Ill have to take their word word for it.  I have ZERO interest in it.  

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,967
    It’s safer than turning right.
    Not a felon
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,810
    SaltySam said:
    From what I’ve heard, to be there (especially in the infield) is an incredible experience.  

In the 70’s clothing was optional at the Talladega infield. No joke. At one time, the Talladega infield was the greatest event in racing. It didn’t matter if you saw a single second of the race or not, you still had the time of your life. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,930
    Love it cause it's American, hate it because it is not F1.

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    Legume said:
    It’s safer than turning right.
    I read an article a few months ago that due to declining viewer numbers NASCAR was looking for ways to create new interest/excitement in their events.

Their executive committee decided that the winning idea was to, starting next season, run their races clockwise rather than anti-clockwise.

Hope the drivers will be okay!
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Drag racing is all I watch. I like the way it shakes your whole body when a Nitro car runs.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Last time I paid attention to auto racing, Jackie Stewart was winning F1 races.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    edited March 2018
    I hate NASCAR Dealerships owned by doctors.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,597
    I kept up with it when I was living in the middle of Nascar country but quit watching it during the pansy era of the Busch brothers and others. We used to have weekly race pools so gambling makes anything interesting. These days I only care about Chase Elliott because he’s the local boy. 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,572
    Almost as boring as watching golf. The upside of going down one grade on my cable service is that I am no longer paying for the golf channel.
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    I used to love going to races but now it can be tiring in the sun/heat/crowds etc.  The sound and feel of all that power rumbling through your veins is amazing when you are at a race.  Totally makes anyone who goes a fan.  I lost some interest though when JJ starting winning everything for a few years.  He is a whiner and very boring.  Have been watching more lately, but the new format with multiple legs of the race is a bit strange.  Can't complain about the overall experience though. Still love it. 
  • DoubleEgger
    Almost as boring as watching golf. The upside of going down one grade on my cable service is that I am no longer paying for the golf channel.
    Nascar is great for drinking, falling asleep hoping you wake up with 25 laps to go. Nothing wrong with that on a Sunday. 
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Always been a Nascar fan and still like the experience. @SGH is right in that it has tamed down from the earlier years but it's still a great experience. Dega is on the must do list but still a bit out of my range for now.
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,373
    It sounds pretty cool
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,779
    Left turn. Left turn. Wait. Oh no! LEFT TURN!!!

i don’t know if I can take that much excitement. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,939
    The only racing I enjoy is MotoGP, where the "drivers" are actually athletic, sliding around on their bikes and hanging on for dear life when they accelerate their 390-lb, 210-hp bikes on the back stretch.  More importantly, they're turning both directions, and constantly passing and being passed by others.  When they crash, the bike tumbles 6 times and so do they, and then get up, lift their bike, and get back on if its still rideable!  That sh*t is exciting!!
    I've only watched one NASCAR race from start to finish.  Nice big TV, all my coworkers, great food, and I was bored to tears by the time it was over.  It's just not for me.

I once lived just a stone's throw away from a family who all died of mysterious head injuries. 

• UncleBilly
    UncleBilly Posts: 225
    I live near Mid-Ohio Sportscar Course and have been there to watch Indy Cars and Super Bikes. I’ve seen sprint car events on dirt track and have been to a Monster Trucks show once.  All in all I'd say I’ve given the Motorsports a pretty fair try, but they don’t do anything for me.  In my 45 years I’ve never actually watched a NASCAR race, but I can’t imagine that it is substantially different from any of the above.  Probably my aversion to crowds and loud noise is going to be deal breaker for all Motorsports me.  But to each his own, those of you enjoy racing - enjoy on, it’s not my place to yuk your yum!
    XL  Central Ohio
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    I kept up with it when I was living in the middle of Nascar country but quit watching it during the pansy era of the Busch brothers and others. We used to have weekly race pools so gambling makes anything interesting. These days I only care about Chase Elliott because he’s the local boy. 
    Never cared about it until Chase Elliott. He’s a local and a really good kid. Learning the sport at this point. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Been a fan since I was 14. This season, haven't been able to get into it. Was a fan of The Intimidator and remember exactly where I was when I heard of his passing. After that, followed his son. Now, just isn't the same.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • nolaegghead
    Different, you are saying?
    Botch said:
    The only racing I enjoy is MotoGP, where the "drivers" are actually athletic, sliding around on their bikes and hanging on for dear life when they accelerate their 390-lb, 210-hp bikes on the back stretch.  More importantly, they're turning both directions, and constantly passing and being passed by others.  When they crash, the bike tumbles 6 times and so do they, and then get up, lift their bike, and get back on if its still rideable!  That sh*t is exciting!!
    I've only watched one NASCAR race from start to finish.  Nice big TV, all my coworkers, great food, and I was bored to tears by the time it was over.  It's just not for me.

MotoGP, WRC, and Dakar.

That's all I need.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• DoubleEgger
    DMW said:
    Been a fan since I was 14. This season, haven't been able to get into it. Was a fan of The Intimidator and remember exactly where I was when I heard of his passing. After that, followed his son. Now, just isn't the same.
    I was watching that race. I knew it was bad instantly. Sad day for racing. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    DMW said:
    I was as well. I was on dinner duty that night, so didn't see the end of the race. I was in Colorado at the time, a bit after the race ended got a call from one of my friends back in PA with the news. Really hit hard.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 8,015
    DMW said:
    DMW said:
    I was as well. I was on dinner duty that night, so didn't see the end of the race. I was in Colorado at the time, a bit after the race ended got a call from one of my friends back in PA with the news. Really hit hard.
     In my truck moving to the “lower 48”
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• nolaegghead
    I've only been to three races. 

First, 24 hours of Lemons - raced a Miata.  MSR outside of Houston (Angleton I believe).

Second, Chump Car - raced an E30.  COTA in Austin

Third, NOLA motorsports - CMRA motorcycle racing - watched some friends run an endurance race.

Watched some on TV.  Interesting for a while, like everything, you need to stay on top of who is who or you'll just be watching the "top 10 crashes in bla bla" vids on youtube.

What I find most interesting on TV is GP and Rally.

New season F1 qualifying on now, let's see if things are a bit more interesting this year.