Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Sourdough English muffins

Options
caliking
caliking Posts: 18,731
Used the BS and the big kitchen clock, so OT. 

They taste great, but don’t have that “nooks and crannies” texture. More like a sourdough roll inside, with a nice crunchy crust on the top and bottom. 

I see breakfast sammies in my future :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
     I am a big fan of the nook and the cranny.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • caliking
    Options
    I was just waiting to see who would strike first

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I prefer nooks over crannies. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    Eh, everyone knows that crannies are better than nooks. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• bgebrent
    Options
    There’s more butter in the nooks...
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Put me in the nook column. Cranny sounds too much like granny.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • bgebrent
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    There’s more butter in the nooks...
    You clearly have not had the right cranny. 
    I would fully expect you have. 
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Nookie here.......
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • caliking
    Options
    Its apparently too late to delete the thread...

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    Looks good from my house!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • bgebrent
    Options
    caliking said:
    Its apparently too late to delete the thread...
    Why? ;)
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    I'd rather have my nook in a cranny (or even a granny) than my nook in a tranny.  Paging The Buffalo....
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    Can we get a more open view? You know, so we can judge the nooks and/or crannies. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    Wife and daughter are getting geared up for Oscars. Meanwhile, i'm entering LEO and trying to figure out what junk food to crush while inter webs surfing.    I did enjoy that Oscars song back in '12 or '13 "We saw your boobs".  Google it.  
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    jeffwit said:
    Can we get a more open view? You know, so we can judge the nooks and/or crannies. 
    Good call! @caliking is so unreliable  =)
  • caliking
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    jeffwit said:
    Good call! @caliking is so unreliable  =)
    Well, I am more of a cranny expert. 

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Dude... Full measure of respect for doing this. I keep wanting to try this but always just default to bread at the last minute. 

I can’t think of a snappy nook or cranny remark at the moment. I’ll get back to you on that one. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Dude... Full measure of respect for doing this. I keep wanting to try this but always just default to bread at the last minute. 

I can’t think of a snappy nook or cranny remark at the moment. I’ll get back to you on that one. 
    Thanks, Gary. You kinda blind-sided me there with a legit comment about the muffins :smiley:

• caliking
    Options
    jeffwit said:
    Nookie and granny cranny aside, these turned out quite good. 

Split it with a fork, and toasted. Dab of guava jam and a pat of Kerrygold butter. It hit the spot. 

May try to tweak the recipe a tad, but otherwise it’s a keeper. 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    I find that very interesting. Just a few years back I went to one of our bakeries looking for fresh English muffins. The baker himself waited on me and told me there isn't enough demand for him to make them.  BUT furthermore he said the true English muffin is fried in oil like donuts! Was he pulling my leg or just didn't know what he was talking about?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • caliking
    Options
    RRP said:
    I find that very interesting. Just a few years back I went to one of our bakeries looking for fresh English muffins. The baker himself waited on me and told me there isn't enough demand for him to make them.  BUT furthermore he said the true English muffin is fried in oil like donuts! Was he pulling my leg or just didn't know what he was talking about?
    I think the last part of your comment is true.

From what I've gleaned about English muffins, they're not even English, though they are a riff on crumpets. Have not seen any mention of them being deep fried like doughnuts. Crumpets are made from batter, and poured onto a griddle, sometimes using a ring to make them circular.

The "English muffin" is apparently an American phenomenon, sold to the Brits as "American muffins",  since the 90's.

Maybe our friends @Eoin , @Stormbringer , @TheToast across the pond can chime in and enlighten us?

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    edited March 2018
    Options
    @caliking I'm really not liking you right now. I was doing ok until you posted that plated pic. Now I want to try these.

I want to try making these. I want to make ciabatta. I just found a recipe for a rosemary polenta loaf that looks killer... 

Jeez man. I need to keep my job. I need sleep. I'm watching my calories. Have you no heart? Where is your compassion? I'm not sure we can remain friends...

edit: I take (most) of that back. I like reading your posts. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Enough books and crannies for me!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • caliking
    Options
    @SciAggie you really don’t have anything to worry about. The WFO envy is large on this side, so you have plenty of room to breathe :)

this is was a relatively simple recipe. More than happy to share details. 

• Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
    Options
    @caliking and @RRP I've not heard of muffins being deep fried and I highly doubt traditional ones were.

Muffins used to be sold by muffin men in the 19th century, they delivered muffins and other baked goods door to door in Victorian English. They were also the inspiration for The Muffin Man nursery rhyme. The English Muffin was bought to the USA in the 1870s by Samuel Bath Thomas, and I believe that Thomas' brand muffins are still popular in the USA. There's more info here:

https://thomasbreads.com/about-us

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Muffins are a dough cooked on a griddle, formed with a cutter and cooked both sides. Crumpets are batter, dropped into a ring on a griddle and cooked mainly from the bottom, turned just to set the top. Crumpets are tricky to make.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    For a nooks in tranny's crannies thread those muffins look good. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    They would look better on my plate. I think they look outstanding.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • caliking
    Options
    For a nooks in tranny's crannies thread those muffins look good. 
    :rofl: