Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Just go pick out a new one, I suggested.

"I bet you can fix this one, and it is not all that old," she replied
Washer not spinning all the water out of the clothes. Trying to fix it myself. Ordered new motor coupler, transmission clutch assembly, pump and agitator dogs. May or may not work so if it works it will be worth the time and effort. Of course, I may be in over my head. This is what is waiting for me when I get home. Took it apart the other night. Hopefully the parts will be here today and I can get it back together before dark, and hopefully there won't be too many leftover mystery parts when I am finished.
Probably buy a new one this weekend.

Comments

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Fixing is better than throwing away.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    I replaced the dryer belt on my dryer a few years ago. It appears to have gone bad again. My wife ordered a new replacement belt and is determined to replace it herself this time around. I'd rather remove the dryer from the small laundry room and work on it out in the garage with elbow space. My wife said she can replace it in the tight laundry room. More power to her. She's going to give it a go. No complaints from me! 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    I see extra parts in your future. 

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• "I bet you can fix this one, and it is not all that old," she replied
    Washer not spinning all the water out of the clothes. Trying to fix it myself. Ordered new motor coupler, transmission clutch assembly, pump and agitator dogs. May or may not work so if it works it will be worth the time and effort. Of course, I may be in over my head. This is what is waiting for me when I get home. Took it apart the other night. Hopefully the parts will be here today and I can get it back together before dark, and hopefully there won't be too many leftover mystery parts when I am finished.

Did you google it?  =)
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,830
    Yeah, it looks pretty easy to fix on Youtube.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Eoin said:
    Fixing is better than throwing away.
    Crazy talk.
    NOLA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,739
    Back when I did residential service as technician my two favorite quotes were: I googled it. I saw it on YouTube and it looks easy.
    A. If my job was easy you wouldn't have called.
    B. See A
    C. No, I won't answer my phone when you have a question after you've completely taken it apart you arrogant doink.

I seriously don't miss residential service.  They get some real Humdinger homeowners these days. Everything from I've Googled it, I watched it on YouTube, what's the part number because I'm sure I can buy a cheaper on ________. 
    FWIW .Good luck on your appliance repair.
    ive had good luck calling the repair places looking for a like new second hand washer. the new ones get returned because no one like the clunk, buzz, lock, unlock, lock, buzz buzzz noises the new ones make. they drive people insane ;) a day or two out of work waiting for the repair man is about the same price =)=)=)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    edited February 2018

did you check to see if it was just the agitator dogs, its the simplest cheapest fix, that was mine last time i had a problem, top agitator not spinning to pull the clothes down to the bottom spinner. i think it was one bolt and pull it apart. something like 4 bucks on ebay. not that you're not all in right now =)
    fukahwee maine

• ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    I attempted to fix our “new” just out of warranty washer about a year ago. Replaced the drive shaft and most of the internal parts and it only took 4 hours. In my brilliance I didn’t start until around 9pm one night and was getting really tired and all my knuckles were bleeding. It worked great until a few months ago when it started squeaking. This time I called a repair man. He looked at it and said, “whoever replaced your drive shaft forgot xyz part when they were putting it back together”. He then said “I don’t have the part on the truck, I’ll have to order it”. I went to my shop and grabbed the bag O’ extra parts from my work that fateful evening and asked if the part he needed was in this bag...he said “yep”. He fixed the squeak and only charged me $50 bucks. Those extra parts always come back to haunt. 

But in the long run I saved the $400 they would’ve charged me to replace the drive shaft. 
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    @fishlessman See I don't get that :confused: Why are folks out of work = out of pay waiting on a service guy or gal? Unless you're talking about The Cable People :grin:
    Even in residential they gave a 4 hr window. 
    With my current employment we, in many cases, have to be there like NOW.  Refrigeration always takes priority.  Now back to the OP. @epcotisbest is the coupler a hard neoprene or pot metal? Is there a shear pin as well? I wouldn't think that that would be too bad to put back together. Hopefully they don't send you some crazy retrofit "one-size-fits-all 100 different models" and then have to modify it to fit the shaft. Feel free to insert a witty pun here.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • fishlessman
    @fishlessman See I don't get that :confused: Why are folks out of work = out of pay waiting on a service guy or gal? Unless you're talking about The Cable People :grin:
    With my current employment we, in many cases, have to be there like NOW.  Refrigeration always takes priority.  Now back to the OP. @epcotisbest is the coupler a hard neoprene or pot metal? Is there a shear pin as well? I wouldn't think that that would be too bad to put back together. Hopefully they don't send you some crazy retrofit "one-size-fits-all 100 different models" and then have to modify it to fit the shaft. Feel free to insert a witty pun here.
    maytag guy, my one and only time i ever called. no show in morning, get the call late morning, it will be early afternoon. late afternoon, running late, will be in the morning. next morning i see the guy one street over, leaves. gps doesnt work where im at, im yelling, waving arms etc, get ahold of him later and he looks at it =) . next day has the parts.  my last washer, i walk down to the appliance store and ask for the owner, next day he drops off a descent second hand washer at my shop, i write him out a check for 220 i think.  now the cable guy, i gave up waiting 12 years ago =)  its really not worth it to me, hard to run a crew when im not there.
    fukahwee maine

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,750
    I'm in the" they are all like Bic Lighter Camp" when it quits, I buy another,especially anything that is not "Advanced" 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,171

did you check to see if it was just the agitator dogs, its the simplest cheapest fix, that was mine last time i had a problem, top agitator not spinning to pull the clothes down to the bottom spinner. i think it was one bolt and pull it apart. something like 4 bucks on ebay. not that you're not all in right now =)
    Yeah, I just went ahead and ordered a bunch of parts. Got it apart, might as well change out stuff while I'm at it. 
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,171

Ordered OEM Whirlpool coupler, neoprene for each half with metal sleeve with the rubber middle connector. Got home all ready to put this thing back together and parts have not gotten here yet. UPS tracking says "Out for Delivery," so I guess they are waiting till it gets good and dark before they bring it by. Oh well, nothing that won't wait until tomorrow. Not gonna try to put it back together by flashlight and guessing. I prefer just guessing!
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208

Yeah, I just went ahead and ordered a bunch of parts. Got it apart, might as well change out stuff while I'm at it. 
    That’s the spirit...
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Might want to check the Johnson rod

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Back when I did residential service as technician my two favorite quotes were: I googled it. I saw it on YouTube and it looks easy.
    B. See A
    C. No, I won't answer my phone when you have a question after you've completely taken it apart you arrogant doink.

I seriously don't miss residential service.  They get some real Humdinger homeowners these days. Everything from I've Googled it, I watched it on YouTube, what's the part number because I'm sure I can buy a cheaper on ________. 
    Youtube is great wasn’t even the video a comment said spray a little wd40 in the seized up fan and the fridge is working again until the part gets here. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    If you buy, the forum consensus is Speed Queen 
    I think they are the only ones left that aren’t conservation friendly. They have a real agitator and use way more water. In other words they are designed to wash the clothes. 
  • Im a fan of partselect.com.  Good parts, fast shipping, lots of advice and installation videos.  Saved some real money with that site.  Saved 300 bucks on a repair the other day.  
    LBGE, Burgeoning Accessories
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    B. See A

probably because many service folks are arrogant doinks these days as well. 

Dryer stopped working a year or 2 ago. Tried fixing with parts ordered on Amazon (fuse, switch or relay of some kind) which were supposedly the most common problems. And yes, they were a fraction of the cost of what the manufacturer wanted. Given that they're all likely made in China. 

Called the Sears service folks. Brilliant guy didn't really do any diagnostic testing, but entered the symptoms into his service algorithm and said "could be this, could be that, but I don't have the part on the truck. And I don't know if that will actually fix it".  I'll have to come back. You'll pay for another service call, parts (grossly marked up), and labor. And if it doesn't work? Well, then we'll stat all over again. So I told him to take a hike, and bought a dryer on CL for $100. 

It sounds like a freight train, but dries clothes better than the one we had :) 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • ksmyrl said:
    I attempted to fix our “new” just out of warranty washer about a year ago. Replaced the drive shaft and most of the internal parts and it only took 4 hours. In my brilliance I didn’t start until around 9pm one night and was getting really tired and all my knuckles were bleeding. It worked great until a few months ago when it started squeaking. This time I called a repair man. He looked at it and said, “whoever replaced your drive shaft forgot xyz part when they were putting it back together”. He then said “I don’t have the part on the truck, I’ll have to order it”. I went to my shop and grabbed the bag O’ extra parts from my work that fateful evening and asked if the part he needed was in this bag...he said “yep”. He fixed the squeak and only charged me $50 bucks. Those extra parts always come back to haunt. 

But in the long run I saved the $400 they would’ve charged me to replace the drive shaft. 
    That reminds of when someone I know called a plumber to add a faucet on the corner of his house. The plumber gets there, is shown by the wife where to install it. Later, the plumber goes in the house and asks a kid to show him the room in the house that is in the northeast corner, which is the corner of the house that the faucet needs to be installed. He busts a nice sized hole in the wall of a closet and can not find the pipe. Another big hole, and still can not find the pipe. The wife walks into the closet and asks him why is he busting a hole in the wall there. 
    The problem stemmed from him leaving the corner on the side of the house where the faucet needed to be installed and walking past the closed garage door to the front door. He needed to bust a hole in the northeast corner of the garage. So now the plumber has to hire a sheet rock guy.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    I think they are the only ones left that aren’t conservation friendly. They have a real agitator and use way more water. In other words they are designed to wash the clothes. 
    And yet, by most testing, agitator top loaders don't clean clothes as well as most front loaders.

Certainly one potential advantage Speed Queens have tho is far fewer bells and whistles to fail.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    @Lit YouTube DEFINITELY has some legit tutorials and invaluable information. And like any guy I prefer to do it myself.  I'm not knocking the men and women that choose to diy.  But, more so the ones that try and then whine they could've done it themselves cheaper "after" a professional does the repair.  Bottom line we all have talents and there is no shame in hiring a professional.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    We have the world's worst appliance ever; a Sanyo dryer, My Beautiful Wife got such a deal on, ......Yeah, right.
    It went from a piece of shid, (because it tore holes in everything we put in it.) To a total piece of shid, when the belt broke. YEAH!
    I told My Beautiful Wife, "Great!, buy a new one." But she insisted on repairing that total piece of shid herself, to save money.
    Now we are back to a piece of shid that shreds our stuff again.
    I take my shirts to the cleaners.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Did you check the flux capacitor?
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• It doesn’t take that many good shirts with holes in order to pay for a new dryer. Just get a decent but plain one, no need for a washer/dryer pair. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    We just picked up a top loading Speed Queen to replace a front loader.  Good upgrade!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    HeavyG said:
    And yet, by most testing, agitator top loaders don't clean clothes as well as most front loaders.

Certainly one potential advantage Speed Queens have tho is far fewer bells and whistles to fail.
    Do the test yourself, then we can talk.