Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

French Onion Soup

Options
I picked up some crocks for French Onion Soup at an estate sale recently. Today was a nice day to try them out. 
I started with almost five pounds of yellow onions. They spent the afternoon on a slow and gentle trajectory toward sweet browned goodness. I thawed some homemade beef and chicken stock. Homemade sourdough for the crouts. 
Appetizers were bacon wrapped dates and cream cheese stuffed sweet peppers. Washed down with adult beverages. 

Life is good my friends. 
Coleman, Texas
Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
"Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                      YukonRon

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I don't know why I read your posts. I always feel so inadequate! Excellent work!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Over the top just like I expected!  Great cook @SciAggie.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @Carolina Q Thanks. Don’t sell yourself short my friend, you know this is just onions broth and lots of time...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Bayou_Buzzard
    Options
    That looks great. Well done. 
    From the shores of Lake Michigan.  Grand Haven.
    Unsalted and Shark Free
    XL.  Woo Adjustable Rig Combo.  Flame Boss 300.
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @Mattman3969 Thanks. It’s fun to take simple ingredients and let then shine. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    Options
    That looks great. Well done. 
    Thanks. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @Carolina Q Thanks. Don’t sell yourself short my friend, you know this is just onions broth and lots of time...
    Yeah, and a loaf of crusty bread and the appetizers

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Options
    <drools on keyboard>

Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Brilliant
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @vb4677 @NPHuskerFL Thanks. Nothing like having good soup to dunk your sourdough into.  
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    I don't know why I read your posts. I always feel so inadequate! Excellent work!
    I definitely subscribe to and endorse the above.  Great cook as always. Congrats.  But I will always read your posts-just to see what can be done.  
    And the pics are magazine quality across the board. 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @lousubcap Thanks. I went outside the norm tonight and had margaritas on the rocks as opposed to the brown water. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Holy crap that looks so good. I am a French Onion Soup Junkie
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @SciAggie  you've gotta do what you've gotta do.  I'm guessing the temperature in your locale is much more conducive to margaritas than brown water right now, especially working around that oven ;)
    A place for every thing.  For the record, I will enjoy a healthy shot-glass (straight up) of Don Julio 1942 every week or so just for equilibrium.  Balance is a key to life  =)

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Now I know why Louie Armstrong recorded "What a Wonderful World".
    He knew then what I know now.
    Great post, beautiful cook.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Holy crap that looks so good. I am a French Onion Soup Junkie
    Thanks. I’m always surprised at how filling and satisfying this soup is. The crocks in the WFO are just a plus. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @YukonRon Thank you kindly my friend. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Love French onion soup and that looks fantastic. The rest of it looks tremendous as well.
    Stillwater, MN
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    My hate for you continues to grow....  French Onion is my absolutely favorite and yours looks absolutely awesome... I am going to track you down one day just to watch and taste your magic....
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @JohnnyTarheel If you’re ever in this part of the world I’ll gladly cook for you. Thanks for the kind words. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Alright @SciAggie. Enough with the joking. We will all foot the grocery bill and sleep in tents on the back 40. 

When are we having SciAggie camp? 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Bravo, Gary! Bravo!

Forget the appetizers. Soup and bread is all I want. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Budaman5000
    Options
    Looks amazing..
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @Killit_and_Grillit Lol, uhm - I guess any time. I have plenty of room for tents. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @caliking Yeah, soup and bread is good enough. I have to confess though that I’m a big fan of those bacon wrapped dates. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Looks amazing..
    Thank you kindly. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Shaking my head. Gawjus!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @westernbbq @northGAcock I appreciate the kind words. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Fantastic.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga