Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

India trip

Options
Wolfpack
Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
edited February 2018 in Off Topic
I had very good intentions of documenting this trip but business dinners didn’t lend themselves to the forum. So tonight here you go.

trip has been incredible so far- started in Mumbai for one night then to Nagpur for the next two nights. Tonight and tomorrow will be spent in Agra and then two more nights in Delhi. 

Went a little overboard on the starters tonight: paneer angare, hariyali chapli kebab, murgh malai and gosht seekh kebab. Which are cheese curds and chili, spinach/walnut/lentil/chili, chicken in the tandoori and lamb kebabs.  Really good so far. Will post main courses next. 

Greensboro, NC

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Nice!  I was there a long time ago - more than 25 years back.   Man I feel old just writing that.  I’ll never forget the food though.

I assume you’ll check out the Taj in Agra?  Be prepared to see some rather extreme levels of poverty outside the temple.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    Yes the food is amazing. Wash your hands frequently and drink only bottled water though.
    1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    I was just in india for less than a day to support some customer meetings a few weeks ago.  I barely had time to eat at the hotel, your food experience looks better than mine. 

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,118
    Options
    I was there in December.  The food was phenomenal.  Although one side effect was it ruined my local choices in the US.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    oh man. This looks incredible. Thanks for sharing. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Great eats in the cities you're visitkng. Well, just about everywhere in India :)

See if your counterparts/hosts there will take you somewhere besides the fancy hotels/restos. Food in the nicer places starts tasting similar after you've been to a few. 

And as I advised another egghead last year DON'T EAT THE SALAD ANYWHERE!! You will thank me later.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,534
    Options
    Yum, brings back memories. Also, no ice cubes and no ice cream.
    canuckland
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Nice!  I was there a long time ago - more than 25 years back.   Man I feel old just writing that.  I’ll never forget the food though.

I assume you’ll check out the Taj in Agra?  Be prepared to see some rather extreme levels of poverty outside the temple.
    It's a mausoleum.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    caliking said:

It's a mausoleum.
    I stand corrected. 
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    caliking said:8

It's a mausoleum.
    I stand corrected. 

When ever I stand, I am corrected.  Sometimes even when I sit too.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Wolfpack
    Options
    The rest of dinner included prawns with pomegranate and a mushroom vegetable dish that was really outstanding. I can understand why there are so many vegetarians here- the vegetable dishes are often the stars of the meals. The naan continues to be a favorite. Over did the starters so toned back the main courses. 

Dessert was Gulab jamun which is a mile based dish that was very good. 

Greensboro, NC
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    Heading to Hyderabad in April. Got a jam-packed agenda, but will make time for some good food.  (do they call it indian food in india?)
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    TN_Egger said:
    Heading to Hyderabad in April. Got a jam-packed agenda, but will make time for some good food.  (do they call it indian food in india?)
    I was in Hyderabad in December.  Great food and defintely an experience.  Enjoy your trip.
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Wow!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Wolfpack
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Tourist time

Greensboro, NC
  • Wolfpack
    Options
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. I do not wish to reveal how long ago I had traveled to India. It was as a young man, and the significance of the trip was lost in the interests of a kid too stupid to realize how awesome that place was at that time.
    The food as I recall, (and your sharing has jolted my memory due to this excellent post), was delicious, and so much more different than I had imagined, prior to my visit.
    I had always stated I would return. One day, I will.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Wolfpack
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Lunch today consisted of kadak seekh kabab which was a chargrilled minced chicken, stuffed with slices of spicy green chilies and cheese.  The whole thing was then battered and deep fried.  The dish I chose was murgh makhani- chicken tikka, with a tomato and cashew gravy with a little ginger and cream. The naan was different than any I have seen before, the best way I can describe it was kind of wrapped/swirled and could be unwound like a cinnamon bun.  Pics to follow
    Greensboro, NC
  • Wolfpack
    Options