Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

26lb Suckling pig on BGE XL for Super Bowl

saigodogsaigodog Posts: 14
edited February 6 in Pork
Here is my 6th cook on my BGE XL that I acquired about 2 weeks ago used from a neighbor.  24 hour brine in salt / brown sugar mix.  
XL BGE, Large BGE
Weber WSM

Los Angeles, CA

Comments

• saigodogsaigodog Posts: 14
    Heavy application of 4 1/2 cups of salt per Adam Perry Lang recipe 1 hour prior to starting cook.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE
    Weber WSM

Los Angeles, CA
    Wanted to put pig in roaster but would not fit, used a full sheet roasting pan from butcher as drip tray and as roasting pan for the cook. 
    XL BGE, Large BGE
    Weber WSM

Los Angeles, CA
    After 3 hours of smoking at 225.
    XL BGE, Large BGE
    Weber WSM

Los Angeles, CA
  • HeavyGHeavyG Posts: 4,929
    Nice!
    Camped out in the (757/804)
  • YukonRonYukonRon Posts: 12,220
    edited February 6
    XL Winner, by Far!!!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bgebrentbgebrent Posts: 16,458
    Great cook. What was total time on the egg?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 16,760
    @saigodog - That is jumping right into the deep, deep end of the pool.  Great looking outcome right there.  Explaining the whole hog to the kids must have been a bit of a challenge.  
    Louisville;  L & S BGEs, PBC, Lang 36; Burnin' wood in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer.  
  • GoooDawgsGoooDawgs Posts: 652
    Oh man!  Did the dome even close!? Tight fit there. 

I've never cooked a suckling pig - what's the going rate for one of those?  
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • The_StacheThe_Stache Posts: 817
    Thanks for the visuals!  I was hoping a 25 lb porker would fit on a large... new plan! 

Great looking cook!!

In a full time state of entropious nebulinity as Head Brewmeister and Chief Flatulator @ Rancho Loco Brewery and Flatutorium, Kirkland, TN

• g8golferg8golfer Posts: 845
    Awesome post 
  • lkapigianlkapigian Posts: 2,964
    Great Job, love a good suckling!!
    Visalia, Ca
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 22,980
    Thanks for the visuals!  I was hoping a 25 lb porker would fit on a large... new plan! 

Great looking cook!!
    someone did a 60 pounder sitting up in a large. a 25 pounder would be an easier cook for the large
    edited February 6

Great looking cook!!
    someone did a 60 pounder sitting up in a large. a 25 pounder would be an easier cook for the large
    Dang it @fishlessman .... Now I have to go do a search!!! (Thanks for the heads up!) :)

Found this  http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1023628/whole-pig-on-large-bge

frickin' photobucket!

In a full time state of entropious nebulinity as Head Brewmeister and Chief Flatulator @ Rancho Loco Brewery and Flatutorium, Kirkland, TN

• fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 22,980

Great looking cook!!
    Dang it @fishlessman .... Now I have to go do a search!!! (Thanks for the heads up!) :)

frickin' photobucket!

i would not do this with a big this size but a 25 pounder....  this was before they made xl's
  • WeberWhoWeberWho Posts: 6,332
    That looks incredible! How long did the cook take you?
  • MaskedMarvelMaskedMarvel Posts: 2,019

Great looking cook!!

frickin' photobucket!

i would not do this with a big this size but a 25 pounder....  this was before they made xl's
    Yeah this is a bucket list cook for
    me 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• These all qualify as...

Flint, Michigan
  • stv8rstv8r Posts: 638
    Awesome!  Any pics of the final product being served up?
    GooDawgs - It was only $125 for the pig.  It barley fit, originally had it in a roaster but it was too tall, had to take it out to stretch the pig out a little and put the rack in a larger pan. 
     GoooDawgs said:
    Oh man!  Did the dome even close!? Tight fit there. 

I've never cooked a suckling pig - what's the going rate for one of those?  

XL BGE, Large BGE
    Weber WSM

Los Angeles, CA
  • buzd504buzd504 Posts: 2,538
    Wow.
    NOLA
  • mEGG_My_DaymEGG_My_Day Posts: 504
    Awesome- would love to see pics of it picked, if you have any.
    Memphis, TN 
  • Thomasc18Thomasc18 Posts: 161
    Awesome job!
    Madison, AL
  • 20stone20stone Posts: 1,481

Great looking cook!!

frickin' photobucket!

We call that "The Bannon".

Great cook.  Do you have any pics of it picked?
    LBGE since 2008 and a MM from 2016
    Karubeque C-60 Dishwasher (when time is no object)
    Owner of multiple large scale refrigeration devices (sometimes too many)
    Vertically integrated BBQ and charcuterie operator, for recreational use only
    Elicitor of secrets from goats through unconventional methods
    Sourdough bread enthusiast

Houston, TX

XL BGE, Large BGE
    Weber WSM

Los Angeles, CA
    WeberWho said:
    That looks incredible! How long did the cook take you?
    It was only 6 hours.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE
    Weber WSM

Los Angeles, CA
    lousubcap said:
    @saigodog - That is jumping right into the deep, deep end of the pool.  Great looking outcome right there.  Explaining the whole hog to the kids must have been a bit of a challenge.  
    My kids are 6 and 8.  I thought they would be traumatized and become instant vegetarians so my wife and I put the pig in the cooler to take to the party so they would not see it.  But I must have raised her right because when we were breaking down the pig in the kitchen she walked up, looked right at the pig and went to go play!  Didn't faze her one bit.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE
    Weber WSM

Los Angeles, CA
    Sorry, in my excitement I didn't take any pictures but I am asking around to see if anyone else took any. I will post if I find any.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE
    Weber WSM

Los Angeles, CA
  • Killit_and_GrillitKillit_and_Grillit Posts: 3,293
    edited February 7
    Great cook!  

@The_Stache I still think a pit is the way to go. (Or we toss it on my stick burner and pull an all nighter)

I don’t know if I could eat a pig with its feet around its ears. Too many memories of chubby sorority girls from college.  ;) ;) ;)

edit. @20stone. The Bannon. Bahahaha

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

@Killit_and_Grillit , In ... any cooking method is good!!  ( I had more thoughts of contortion-ism!) :)