Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Belly Burnt Ends

Options
This is my first time making burnt ends of any type.  Bought an 11lb pork belly from Costco, cut into 1” cubes (i also kept some in bacon-slice-sized strips to experiment with), and dusted with a couple different rubs that i had laying around.  I’m cooking at 250 indirect until it hits 200IT, then i plan on tossing them in honey and BBQ sauce and braising for another 45 minutes.  Results to be posted later...

XL and Med Eggs
SW Houston, TX

Comments

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Will be watching the finale....
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    That is a load of protein just waiting for the banquet to happen.  Enjoy.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TexasCurt
    Options
    They cooked WAY faster than i thought they would.  1.5 hrs and some pieces were over 210IT.  Next time I’ll try to cook at 225 or less.  Obviously my Egg was quite full, and the pieces on the outside edges were quite burned while the ones in the middle had much less bark.  

I tossed them in Stubbs Sweet Heat sauce mixed with some honey and a stick of melted butter.   Braised covered in foil for an hour, stirred them, and then cooked uncovered for another 45 minutes.  

Overall they turned out well and I’ll definitely try it again,  We’ll see what the poplar opinion is tonight at the Super Bowl party!

XL and Med Eggs
    SW Houston, TX

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    PB Burnt ends are amazing. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Im sure your friends will be going crazy for them!  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • kingsmoke
    Options
    Thanks for posting the updates. They look irresistible.  I have two slabs of pork belly in the freezer . Trying to educate myself a little before I screw up some perfectly good pork. 
    Grand Rapids , Mi
    LBGE -  28Blackstone - Saber grill
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Oh yeah looks awesome!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • SandyHookEgger
    Options
    They look good. How did they go over with your guests?
    Looks like you have a good helper watching over you in one of the pics.