Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I Messed Up The Brisket... Send Help

Options
I smoked at 225 almost the whole way. A little at 250-275 near the end. Was 11lb after trimming. Took 11.5hr. Pecan chunks. Water pan. I trimmed it. Only kosher salt and coarse pepper. Probed like butter in almost all the flat and for sure all the point. Was 208 when pulled. Let rest on rack for 30min. Then four hours FTC. The majority of the bark is too tough to eat. Well over half of the bark. It’s nowhere as smokey as I wanted. It’s more roast like flavor than bbq brisket. It was angus choice from RD. Guys where did I go wrong... is it because I didn’t wrap?

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Seems like you overcooked it. 208 is high and then you had the carryover from the resting. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Seems like you overcooked it. 208 is high and then you had the carryover from the resting. 
    This^^^.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Make chili and try again. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Also, ditch the water pan on the next go around. The egg isn’t a dry environment like a stick burner. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Given the feel and the 30 minute rest (at that point there shouldn't be much carry-over) before the FTC then I doubt that contributed to the bark and flavor profile.  Smoke flavor can be perceived as lacking since you were in the smoke all day.  Did the guests comment on the smoke?
    BTW-a sure fire way to know when to terminate the rest and then FTC is to watch your thermo and once the meat temp starts to fall you are good to go.  From your description I can't see any obvious hic-cups.  Sounds like not your first brisket?
    And I have been in the 204-208*F temp range in the flat for the finish-"The friggin cow drives the cook.  FWIW-
    Upon slicing the flat (across the grain) did it crumble or hold together well?  A solid indication of whether over-done or not.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Use post oak for smoke.

Wrapping will help.

Try the brisket rub at chef steps for better flavor.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I would have wrapped it before it got that dark. Tha’s the only reason i wrap is to preserve the bark where I like it. Sometimes I don’t wrap at all if the bark looks good.

I’ve had several non-Smokey efforts over the years in my BGE. I think 225 is pretty low for many reasons but one is the fire is so small it’s hard to be in contact with wood chunks/chips the whole time. I liked it better at like 260-275. 

You were actually very close on this one. Try again and wrap it up if the bark gets dark like this one. Just keep in mind it will speed up the cook once wrapped
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • tymaier
    Options
    The smoke was more evident is some places. Honestly,  most of the flat came out better than the point. This was my first brisket. It was sticking to the grate pretty hard when I took it off. I do think I overcooked it at least somewhat. Was just very surprised at how tough the bark came out.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited December 2017
    Options
    This would be a good candidate to make some burnt ends with the leftovers. Cube it up and throw it in a foil pan with some sauce and smoke it a couple more hours, The sauce will soften up that bark but it should still hold up nicely since its to crusty in spots
  • lousubcap
    Options
    For the sake of my closure here-any comment?
    "Upon slicing the flat (across the grain) did it crumble or hold together well?  A solid indication of whether over-done or not."
    BTW- given the high fat content of the point I am surprised that it had any overdone characteristics.  Sometimes the friggin cow wins.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • drumdudeguy
    Options
    Try Beef Tenderloin on a direct high rack at 375 - 400 degrees. Much quicker and can't miss!
    Charlotte NC - Large Big Green Egg (2009) w/Nest and Handler
    Accessories: PSWoo, Woo, Adjustable Rig, Smokeware Cap and Temperature Gauge
  • tymaier
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    For the sake of my closure here-any comment?
    "Upon slicing the flat (across the grain) did it crumble or hold together well?  A solid indication of whether over-done or not."
    BTW- given the high fat content of the point I am surprised that it had any overdone characteristics.  Sometimes the friggin cow wins.  
    Sorry! Thought I had commented back. It did not crumble.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @tymaier If it didn't crumble then the meat texture was fine from a cook perspective.  Obviously the measure of success is from those who consumed.  Based on all I can tell your process was fine, can't explain the bark issue or the hosed up point.  "Some days the elevator, some days the shaft."  Thanks for following thru.  Back in the saddle as you will nail the next one.
    Happy New Year-
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Just wanted to say that I appreciate when folks share their less than perfect cooks so the rest of us can also learn some potential dos and don't along the way.
    Stillwater, MN
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,347
    Options
    Chop it up and make chili. I have yet to nail a brisket, but I always end up with bomb-aas chili 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Just wanted to say that I appreciate when folks share their less than perfect cooks so the rest of us can also learn some potential dos and don't along the way.
    Totally agree. I like trying to figure out how it went down and what could have been done to fix/change something that I or they didn’t like about it. I still learn every single time. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Regardless of how badly you messed up your brisket, your photos more than make up for it. Them be money shots!
  • tymaier
    Options
    I am making chili tomorrow! I’m pretty set on doing a blend of Italian sausage, ground beef, and ground turkey though.

Gonna serve brisket samdwhiches tomorrow as well with leftovers.

Regardless of how badly you messed up your brisket, your photos more than make up for it. Them be money shots!
    Thanks for that!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    How aggressively did you trim the fat off? 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • tymaier
    Options
    caliking said:
    How aggressively did you trim the fat off? 
    I trimmed a lot everywhere. There were parts of the fat cap I know I went to thin as well. Maybe that’s part of the reason honestly.