Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Anyone Use Sous Vide as Double Boiler?

Options
Toxarch
Toxarch Posts: 1,900
I'm wanting to make some peppermint back, which is basically candy crack if you have never had. Sounds kinda interesting, tastes awesome. Anyway, chocolate should be melted at 115 degrees max, 120 for dark chocolate. A double boiler is best for this. You can microwave in short bursts but it' easy to overheat and burn the chocolate. 

So anyway, I wondered if anyone has used the sous vide to melt the chocolate. First I thought floating bowl like a double boiler. Then I thought sealed bags like a regular sous vide. Then I thought mason jars. They seal up enough to keep water out and can release pressure if needed. They'll float with a lot of air in them, but not a big deal. And with the sous vide, I can control the water temp easily. I can even tell Alexa to set the temp for me. 

Anyone try it before? I plan to try it this week.
Aledo, Texas
Large BGE
KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Can't think of a reason it would not work. Let us know.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Toxarch
    Options
    SO you are saying someone stole my idea before I came up with it?
    Problem with tempering chocolate is that you can not let any water at all into it or it is ruined. Should be fun to try to keep all the water out when using a sous vide.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    Options
    For that recipe it should be just fine. Seal the bag and wait for it to melt. I've used it for melting chocolate for pretzels and oreo's. Stole the idea from someone off here actually, regretfully I can't recall who. It's tougher as you need to keep it melted for a long period of time. After looking the recipe up I'll be making it myself. Appreciate the post. Thanks 
  • Toxarch
    Options
    By the way, that should be Peppermint Bark in the original post. Autocorrect on the phone changed it.

Some recipes such as the one below add a little veg oil to the chocolate. One explained that it gave the chocolate a smoother, more attractive look and also gave the chocolate a crisper break like you get when you temper chocolate. It would definitely be quicker without having to temper the chocolate. If I have enough chocolate, I might try it both ways and see which I like better.
    https://www.atasteofkoko.com/desserts/peppermint-bark
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Yes
    Options
    I've just finished with it. Waiting until tomorrow for it to set. Just the chocolate and the peppermint for me. The dark chocolate was perfectly smooth after setting, the white wasn't as smooth but looks good. Thanks for the post. Quick and easy, nothing like the reviews using a double boiler. 
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Options
    Vacuum seal, perhaps?

Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • Moleman
    Options
    If that was for me, yes.  Occasionally agitate it.  I needed to get to 130 for it to melt though. 
  • Toxarch
    Options
    I'm using pint jars in the sous vide with a pint jar full of water on top to hold it down. The dark melted easily at 115. Had to get up to 120 to get the white to melt. I got it to 125 on the first batch and then realized it was pretty much melted, I just had to agitate it (shake the bottle) to get the block shapes to collapse. First batch tastes good, already broken up, in a container, and back into the fridge. About to run a second batch. I have melting chocolates so I don't have to temper it.
    Kinda wondered if I should just let the jars float and circle in the sous vide. That should let gravity and the jar spinning around agitate the chocolate, right? Tried it at first and then got worried about water getting in through the lid if it bumped the side wrong.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

• Toxarch
    Options
    Moleman said:
    If that was for me, yes.  Occasionally agitate it.  I needed to get to 130 for it to melt though. 
    Are you using chocolate chips? Those are much harder to melt because they put additives in the chocolate so they hold their shape better when baked in a cookie.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

• Toxarch
    Options
    Here's some pictures. The pics are from the 2nd batch except for the finished product, that's the 1st batch.

Loaded up pint jars with 5 oz chocolate each and a teaspoon of veg oil.

Stuck in the sous vide at 120 F and put a full jar of water on top to hold the chocolate jars down. The white bars did not want to pool and looked like they were not melting. Just had to shake them or stir it to get them to drop down.

I put parchment paper on an old glass cutting board for cooling the chocolate in the fridge. Recipe says 20 mins. The dark was plenty cool in under 10 mins, you could go less than that. Turn the board around to get the first layer really thin. Seems thinner is better when cutting/breaking them up.

I broke up the candy canes in a bag and sifted out the powder. I found that I didn't like the look of the fine powder on the top. So I decided to take the fine powder and mix it in with the white, then heat it back up and then spread it.

Then added the course peppermint and refrigerate.

Here's the first batch after I started cutting/breaking it up... and of course taste testing a few.

Thanks for any input earlier.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

• Moleman
    Options
    I did use chips and never realized that. It will be my last time as I learned something else today. I appreciate all the information here. Merry Christmas to all. 
  • Toxarch
    Options
    I kind of wonder if chocolate chips might be a better choice. The higher melting temp means they stay solid longer once out of the fridge, right?
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.