Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buffalo wings and pizza night on the Egg

run53
run53 Posts: 121
edited December 2017 in Poultry
So, still an Egg newbie........I've only had it for 2 week but have done 6 cooks, so getting the hang of it. 

Anyways this Friday I am hosting a Wings and pizza night. I want to do the wings as an app and then my wife will make a salad while I'm cooking the pizzas. 

I plan to cook the wings raised indirect (High in dome) at about 400. I expect this will take about an hour. Then I plan to cook the pizzas the same......raised indirect only I want to bump the temp up to about 550.

I expect about an hour at 400 fro the wings and then maybe a half hour later raise the temp to 550 for pizza which could take another hour or so as I'm making 4 of them. Here is my question.... Will I have to add lump between the wings and pizza cooks? Or will a full load of lump last me 2-3 hours at those temps?

Large BGE - 2017
PSWoo with extention
Thermopen and DOT

Boston, Mass

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    You will be fine. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Full load will last the duration.  Your plan sounds solid.  Enjoy the cook.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • run53
    I love this place......so supportive of newbies :-)  Literally 3 minutes after my question I have votes of confidence.....thanks folks! 
    Large BGE - 2017
    PSWoo with extention
    Thermopen and DOT

Boston, Mass
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,024
    Like others mentioned above you will be in good shape. Load the lump up to the fire ring and you'll be good to go. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,024
    Have you done pizza on the egg before? Just make sure you have some type of heat deflector between the lump and the bottom of your pizza stone. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • run53
    edited December 2017
    WeberWho said:
    Have you done pizza on the egg before? Just make sure you have some type of heat deflector between the lump and the bottom of your pizza stone. 
    Yeah.....I've done 3 pizza cooks so far and all were great. I use the plate setter, then some firebrick on top of the stock grate with my stone on top of the bricks. So, I plan to leave the plate setter in there from the wings indirect cook. Stone and plate setter should be good and hot for the pizza cook.
    Large BGE - 2017
    PSWoo with extention
    Thermopen and DOT

Boston, Mass
  • I suggest to Use foil or a drip pan to easily capture and remove the chicken grease from the wings when done  Otherwise you might pick up some of that flavor in the pies. 

LBGE Atlanta, GA