Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Carolina Pupusa Project

Options
Pretty fired up about this one.  It's a bit of a long story but my wife works for an organization here in the area, and through her work she got to meet Cecilia Polanco of So Good Pupusas.  Very cool lady here in the area.  Here's a long-ish interview of her if any of you are interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaA21-OZiHI

We had a big party at our house this fall that her business catered and where I also cooked some Q.  I made a variation of @YukonRon's beef tenderloin sliders, with @Eggcelsior's tiger sauce.  We gave a bunch of those to her guys when they dropped off the pupusas to our house, and I guess they were a pretty big hit.  My wife was at a party with Cecilia later on and they got to talking and, well...  

It seems Cecilia is interested in adding a southern twist to some of her pupusas.  So we're going to host her team at our house here in a couple weeks and I'll be making a bunch of Q that will be used to try out some new pupusas.  Not quite sure what I'm going to make yet as we're still coordinating with Cecilia and her team, but I'm thinking pulled pork for sure and probably a variation on @The Cen-Tex Smoker 's barbacoa that I tried out recently (that recipe is incredible).  

Stay tuned friends!  
"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Be careful.  Al franken had some of those pupusas and got himself in some deep doo doo!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Be careful.  Al franken had some of those pupusas and got himself in some deep doo doo!

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Only greatness can come of this. I love pupusas, and pupusas love me. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    Learn something here dang near every day.  Sounds like this adventure could be a win-win.  Nothing like a new journey to stoke the senses.   Above all, have fun.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    Well, crap. I had never heard of these, now I have to make them. Kinda like an empanada, I guess?
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    jeffwit said:
    Well, crap. I had never heard of these, now I have to make them. Kinda like an empanada, I guess?
    More like corn bread pancakes, except with masa, and often filled with something (meat, cheese) like a tamale.  Very good, not as easy to make as you would think....
    Options
    jeffwit said:
    More like corn bread pancakes, except with masa, and often filled with something (meat, cheese) like a tamale.  Very good, not as easy to make as you would think....
    Is the dough the difficult part? Recipes I read looked pretty straight-forward. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    jeffwit said:
    jeffwit said:
    Is the dough the difficult part? Recipes I read looked pretty straight-forward. 
    Yes.  Last time I made them I followed a recipe and they sucked.  And I know what to expect - I eat them from an authentic restaurant near the airport all the time.  It's like making bread - seemingly inconsequential actions matter.

http://www.fiestalatinarestaurant.com/

caliking said:
    Only greatness can come of this. I love pupusas, and pupusas love me. 
    The ones I’ve had from her team have been incredible.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    There's a Pupuseria near me and I often wondered what they served when passing by.  Guess I'll have to check it out.
    This is why I love this forum!!  Thanks!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    cool idea and experience.

I would think brisket or short rib would be a natural as well.  I'm sure you'll have fun with this.

ABT?
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    Very cool JIC, short rib would probably be amazing.  
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Wondering why I am 60+ years of age and have never eaten a pupusa.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    This may need to be the official food of BB'18.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Need some "Grab 'em by the pupusa" tshirts
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Some people eat papusa and some people don't eat papusa.  And some lie about it.
    Options
    Make sure you get a supply of Loroco!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Request has been put in from Cecilia’s team for both pulled pork and brisket.  I suppose it’s a happy coincidence I just received an SRF gold grade brisket!

I’ll probably do some barbacoa as well, just because I love the stuff and as Cen-Tex pointed out to me, it’s a lot easier to scale.
  • Wowens
    Wowens Posts: 115
    Options
    My wife is from El Salvador, and introduced me to pupusas.  They are really tasty.  Unfortunately no one in her family can make them.  They claim you have to have little hands, and the skills are passed down from generation to generation.

I keep bugging them to that I wanted to learn, so for my birthday one year they hired a lady to come to the house and teach me.  They kept laughing at me and talking in spanish.  I was able to pick up that my hands were to big and I was a gringo.

They are really had to make, but they are really tasty.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina - let the clear light of day shine down and enable you to reflect on the thought of sacrificing the Gold for pupusas.  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Need to get her to butt blast, she seems pretty cool. Plus I now want to try a papusa. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Will be good times for sure.  And I'm with Cap.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • thetrim
    Options
    Yeah, I give @lousubcap lots of crap for his Navy stuff, but he's right.  If you put some gold grade in a papusa, that's a waste of good meat!
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Yeah, I give @lousubcap lots of crap for his Navy stuff, but he's right.  If you put some gold grade in a papusa, that's a waste of good meat!
    Have you had really good pupusas?
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Wondering why I am 60+ years of age and have never eaten a pupusa.
    Same here ('cept, 60- years) and I've travelled all over the US, never even heard of one until this morning.  :blush:

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I had not heard of these things until my wife told me about them this year.
  • thetrim
    edited December 2017
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Have you had really good pupusas?
    Not in the way you talked about it your, I mean Ken's, overserved/Spring Break thread. 
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    pulled brisket with pepperjack would be very interesting.  guy came up from el salvador a few years back, opened a greasy greek pizza place, should have just stuck with what he knew. only place ive ever had them and they were just cheese
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Bumping your Pupusa John :grin:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options