Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Arizona decisions....

Options

Comments

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Saw some news about a wedding cake in Colorado 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Let's keep this off topic thread on topic.  Nola was looking for advice/opinions on a fictitious move. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Let's keep this off topic thread on topic.  Nola was looking for advice/opinions on a fictitious move. 
    No, he wasn't.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    Saw some news about a wedding cake in Colorado 
    Been through that already here. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-32065233
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    an ironically on my lowly firefighters pay i will be paying higher taxes, i need all my itemized deductions
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Before we too wound about this, let's see what comes out of the conference between the House and Senate.  There are some significant differences going in.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    an ironically on my lowly firefighters pay i will be paying higher taxes, i need all my itemized deductions
    Huh? You must have a lot of deductions. Hope you don’t get audited. LOL. 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    my deductions add up to claiming 5 and getting a refund while being single with no kids. the local income tax deduction going away and the property tax being limited to 10k hurts, living close to boston is a bad idea, friggin blue state
    fukahwee maine

• Eoin
    Options
    Is this just a pure tax cut, no offset cuts in expenditure?
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    I shudder to think how much more Trump and his family will be paying under this plan, but what's good for America is good for America. That he selflessly pushed it through with no regard for his own financial situation restores my faith in the human spirit.
    Stillwater, MN
  • pgprescott
    Options
    my deductions add up to claiming 5 and getting a refund while being single with no kids. the local income tax deduction going away and the property tax being limited to 10k hurts, living close to boston is a bad idea, friggin blue state
    The local income tax deduction will hurt me too, but it’s a sham way for these places to over tax on goodies and pass a percentage on to federal tax payers who don’t deserve any of it. 
  • pgprescott
    Options

I shudder to think how much more Trump and his family will be paying under this plan, but what's good for America is good for America. That he selflessly pushed it through with no regard for his own financial situation restores my faith in the human spirit.
    How many do you employ Capt.
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Well, I've never shafted contractors or ripped people off through a real estate college scam, so I've got that going for me. How about we just tax everybody regardless of bracket, but close gaps on rates to create more fairness across the board?

I guess I could ask how many more people you will be hiring and reinvesting into your business as a result of all the tax breaks? Probably the same amount as everyone who will be paying at lesser rates under this plan, which is little to nothing.
    Stillwater, MN
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Well, I've never shafted contractors or ripped people off through a real estate college scam, so I've got that going for me. How about we just tax everybody regardless of bracket, but close gaps on rates to create more fairness across the board?

I guess I could ask how many more people you will be hiring and reinvesting into your business as a result of all the tax breaks? Probably the same amount as everyone who will be paying at lesser rates under this plan, which is little to nothing.
    This plan lowers the rates and closes the loopholes. Apparently what people really want is the lower rates and KEEP the loopholes (deductions). See, deductions ARE loopholes. Everyone wants someone else to pay the high taxes, just not them. The rates are lower across the board, except for the highest earners (no change) I believe. The reduced Corp rates will further spur the economy which has been strangled by reallysmart guys for 8-10 years Now. Unless you make a butt load of money, people don’t pay all that much really. 
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options

This plan lowers the rates and closes the loopholes. Apparently what people really want is the lower rates and KEEP the loopholes (deductions). See, deductions ARE loopholes. Everyone wants someone else to pay the high taxes, just not them. The rates are lower across the board, except for the highest earners (no change) I believe. The reduced Corp rates will further spur the economy which has been strangled by reallysmart guys for 8-10 years Now. Unless you make a butt load of money, people don’t pay all that much really. 
    I know you're a lot smarter than me about this stuff, but how many of the people in those slides who are getting 20 percent tax cuts will lose their health insurance (or their kids) with the new plan? I tend to budget conservatively, so I'm more than a little uncomfortable with banking on trickle down economics, growth and the willingness of corporations to reinvest in anything more than a third vacation home to offset the increases in our national debt. Everybody's situation is different, but I think history suggests tax cuts for the wealthy rarely benefit the minions.
    Stillwater, MN
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Please don't propagate "click-bait".  

If a web page makes you click "next" and loads a bunch of pages, it's a revenue generator for advertising.  Also, those ads are notorious for viruses, scams, fishing, etc.
    Everyone wants someone else to pay the high taxes, just not them.... Now. Unless you make a butt load of money, people don’t pay all that much really. 
    I don't want someone else to pay the high taxes, I just want everyone to pay more similar rates....
    It's not the amount that concerns me, but the percentages. I'd align more with your side on this if I actually thought all these breaks and a 15 percent decrease in the corporate rate will actually create jobs and grow the economy.
    Stillwater, MN
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options

You're absolutely right (as always) the economy was just so strangled during the previous decade.

I'm old enough to remember when in 2001 "really smart people" were predicting that Dubyas tax cuts would essentially eliminate the federal debt by the year 2010.

I'm sure this time will be different.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• pgprescott
    Options

I know you're a lot smarter than me about this stuff, but how many of the people in those slides who are getting 20 percent tax cuts will lose their health insurance (or their kids) with the new plan? I tend to budget conservatively, so I'm more than a little uncomfortable with banking on trickle down economics, growth and the willingness of corporations to reinvest in anything more than a third vacation home to offset the increases in our national debt. Everybody's situation is different, but I think history suggests tax cuts for the wealthy rarely benefit the minions.
    I don’t know. They might not be taxed into having to buy it if they don’t want too. Another tax cut which disproportionately benefits the low income!!!! Wow!!! 

I suggest you you start your own company. Go to the bank and see how easy it has become to get capital. Man , that will be an eye opener. Or maybe not. 

Me thinks the more some some folks complain, the happier I should be. Something about protesting too much, I can’t remember the exact saying. The economy is already growing at a rate we haven’t seen in a decade. One we were told we could never expect to see again. Remember the smart guys saying that? That is just a few regulation peel backs and the anticipation of a friendly business environment. 
  • Eoin
    Options
    HeavyG said:

You're absolutely right (as always) the economy was just so strangled during the previous decade.

I'm old enough to remember when in 2001 "really smart people" were predicting that Dubyas tax cuts would essentially eliminate the federal debt by the year 2010.

As the tax rolled in with the debt fuelled growth of the 2000s, our Government simply spent more. Eliminating debt never happens, there's always an election coming up that needs to be won and we're suckers for Government 'giving' us stuff.
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Eoin said:
    As the tax rolled in with the debt fuelled growth of the 2000s, our Government simply spent more. Eliminating debt never happens, there's always an election coming up that needs to be won and we're suckers for Government 'giving' us stuff.
    Just grow the economy then. From what I understand, that should eliminate debt.
    Stillwater, MN
  • pgprescott
    edited December 2017
    Options
    HeavyG said:

A little intellectual integrity and honesty would be nice. Too much to ask. Our issues had everything to do with lending practices that while demonized by many in Congress were often mandated and heavily encouraged through misguided touchy feely policies. Policies enacted by the very demonizers. Ironic. 

I would guess that that if we had done nothing in the way of give policy, the economy wouldn’t have been twice as robust, or more. Real impressive LOL. 
  • Eoin
    Options
    HeavyG said:

A little intellectual integrity and honesty would be nice. Too much to ask. Our issues had everything to do with lending practices that while demonized by many in Congress were often mandated and heavily encouraged through misguided touchy feely policies. Policies enacted by the very demonizers. Ironic. 
    The politicians were happy to try and blame the banks here too, but it was the politicians who were in charge.
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Eoin said:
    HeavyG said:

The politicians were happy to try and blame the banks here too, but it was the politicians who were in charge.
    The real injustice over here was the lack of honest analysis and reporting of the truth. The media doesn’t like to admit it when the good intentioned policies turn out to be misguided and harmful. This is because the sympathize and agree with most of those policies. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    I read yesterday that LaVar Ball was trying to push some accountability on the UCLA coaches for the three basketball players stealing shjt in China, because "they make enough money"
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Well this bill in no small part hits blue states harder.  That is part of the intent, to screw all of those "libtards".

The members of the congressional GOP from California just figured that out this morning, and man are they pissed.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Legume said:
    I read yesterday that LaVar Ball was trying to push some accountability on the UCLA coaches for the three basketball players stealing shjt in China, because "they make enough money"
    Yeah, I heard that one too. He’s big on personal accountability. Just not for him or his kid. 

Kids lucky! Real lucky. 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    HeavyG said:

its amazing how the stock market grew while wages flatlined during the previous decade
    fukahwee maine