Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket burnt ends-a discussion

Options
lousubcap
lousubcap Posts: 32,385
I am always amazed by the large majority of brisket points that get immediately sacrificed to the burnt ends altar w/o giving that hunk of beef goodness a straight-up chance.  I wonder how many of the points are assigned to that finish-line destination based on "that's how we've always done it" approach.  Just trying to understand the reasoning on a Friday eve.  Insights anyone?
Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    edited November 2017
    Options
    It's Thursday my friend. ;) Points should be sliced and savored.  Burnt ends best start with pork belly.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @bgebrent I seem to recall that Friday eve=Thursday  ;) .  Regardless I'm with you all the way.  Just looking for some insights. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • MrA46221
    Options
    The majority of the time I slice it up and hide it for myself! Burnt ends on a brisket just gives me an excuse to play outside longer. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I’ve made APL’s brisket burnt ends with melted garlic, and I’m sorry but those things are damn good.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    edited November 2017
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina - no argument with that given you have had virgin point as a comparison.  
    Edit:  Garlic can take care of most things-even vampires ;)
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @JohnInCarolina - no argument with that given you have had virgin point as a comparison.  
    Edit:  Garlic can take care of most things-even vampires ;)
    As can Knob Creek.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Sherryjames
    Options
    Being a native Texan, just north of Austin. I USED to agree with you. 

I have to travel a lot to KC and Chicago. Burnt ends are flat out amazing.

Im glad La BBQ in Austin serves them now. That’s what I order now. 

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Usingng smoked brisket leftovers, I will always make chili.
    In my kitchen, the point never gets to be used for burnt ends.
    It truly is the "Best meat on the cow" by far. Whatever is left of the point is sliced up (I call the point beef bacon) after the initial serving, will be used in sammies, and whatever is left of that, goes into chili, along with any of the leftover flat.
    Agree with the others, burnt ends are for pork bellies.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I may get banished for this. I've never even HAD burnt ends. I always slice and enjoy the point...
    I will confess that I'm interested in trying pork burnt ends. When I made bacon I had to order a box with two full bellies. Last time I made bacon from one belly. I cut the other in half - I made porchetta from one piece and gave the other to a friend. This year I'll make burnt ends from one piece. I'm going to try porchetta one more time. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    I may get banished for this. I've never even HAD burnt ends. I always slice and enjoy the point...
    I will confess that I'm interested in trying pork burnt ends. When I made bacon I had to order a box with two full bellies. Last time I made bacon from one belly. I cut the other in half - I made porchetta from one piece and gave the other to a friend. This year I'll make burnt ends from one piece. I'm going to try porchetta one more time. 
    The pork belly burnt ends really are incredible.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • MattBTI
    MattBTI Posts: 417
    Options
    My mouth is watering....I love burnt ends. 
    Pratt, KS
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @SciAggie - Here's a link to a great pork belly burnt ends recipe:
    http://howtobbqright.com/2017/04/17/pork-belly-burnt-ends/  FWIW-
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @lousubcap Thanks!
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • ewyllins
    ewyllins Posts: 461
    Options
    My butcher always cuts me off the point and thats all I cook for a brisket, slice it up and devour it. IMO its the best!!!
    O-Town, FL

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Brisket......when done right.....is my favorite.  I have always been afraid to sacrifice a point on burnt ends.  BUT, I have to admit they are awesome and APL's burnt ends with melting garlic is in-freakin-credible.
    Thanks for making me hungry as hell.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Sherryjames
    Options
    Even TEXAS is jumping on the burnt end train.

• byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Both are great. I think it just depends on the crowd or what you're in the mood for. Just don't oversauce the burnt ends! Or like above, don't sauce at all
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Options
    This is the kind of Friday night post I love!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @lousubcap I got around to reading that recipe you shared and watching the video. I will definitely be cooking these over the Christmas holidays for family. They look amazing. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Burnt ends are my favorite, but it’s because the point is my favorite. On my last packer I stripped out the point and cooked it separately. It was awesome. 

Michiana, South of the border.
  • byrne092
    Options
    @SciAggie made some last night. They are awesome. Could only eat a handful because they are very rich if you eat them alone. Already have lots of ideas for the leftover ones though.

St. Louis, MO
  • byrne092
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Walked to the Chinese bakery this morning. They have fresh rolls (taste like baked steamed buns, if that makes sense) stuffed a couple of the burnt ends in there...amazing

St. Louis, MO
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    I had some great burnt ends last night. We knew we had way more meat than we needed so we sacrificed 1/2 of the point.  Only the 2nd time I’ve made them, but I’ll definitely make them again. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX