Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do you really need to cover the Egg

Options
2»

Comments

• HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    Mine are in a table on a covered patio, but I cover them along with the table so that I don't have to constantly clean the table. That said, I would cover them anyway - I like keeping things looking clean. My Cajun Fryer and Minimax are standalone and are covered as well.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    My BGE and table are protected and I still cover both.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Hoosier_Smoker
    Options
    I relate to what RRP said. The BGE was quite an investment and I think a cover helps protect that investment.   I don't have side tables and it fits nicely.  The length is great as it covers the legs and casters well.  The top "cap cover" is a little tight with the ceramic cap on but I think that is actually a good thing.  Built-in vent helps with mildew and mold.  Small straps secure it to the legs if you wish.  I bought the Ultima version which comes with a 7 year warranty.  Supposedly you can get free shipping with first order if you sign up with them.  I had to call them to get this accomplished.  Overall a nice cover.
    "Get in my belly!" - Fat Bastard

LBGE - Kick Ash Basket, SS Smokeware Cap, CGS PSWoo-CI, Spider, Wok, Broil King Gasser
    Noblesville, IN
  • SeaCros
    Options
    I cover mine as it’s in a table and I like to keep it looking new. 
    Steeler fan for life living in Jacksonville, FL
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I usually only cover my XL for the winter months.  We get mostly ice in KC any more so helps with that getting built up on it when I want to use it.  

That reminds me I need to get my cover out of the garage to cover this weekend.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

If a cover is desired, I'd prefer a covered grilling area to a covered grill.  Scorpions, black widows, rodents, feral cats etc enjoy the shelter of a grill cover.  Speaking of course for my locale of Arizona.

Phoenix 
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    I bought two covers for my Eggs.  I use the Eggs almost every night.  I never got back out there to cover them up before I cooked again.  Eventually gave them away to a fellow Egger.  4 years in WA state and 4 years in TX uncovered.  Functionally, no change in  how they cook, no rust, etc.  Aesthetically, they are do not shine like they used to...
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Mid March - Dec no cover, Jan Mid March covered when expecting freezing rain or snow. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I keep my covered like a Jimmy Hat.  

Not really....

I am NO-OCD.  I don't cover and my eggs don't look new.  Food still tastes great though.   
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I used a cover until I pulled the cover off along with the nice sized wasp nest. Not a fun afternoon. 
    Yeah but I bet it was funny watching you pull the cover off then running. Im laughing just thinking a about that...... =)

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,231
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    I used a cover until I pulled the cover off along with the nice sized wasp nest. Not a fun afternoon. 
    Yeah but I bet it was funny watching you pull the cover off then running. Im laughing just thinking a about that...... =)
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dU97w2DH5mc
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited November 2017
    Options

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I only cover my MiniMax, and I give it a good washing every other day too.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Lies!  You're a **** liar!
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    That is slightly more honest than our current president, which means you are lying so bad it must hurt.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,365
    Options
    Clay/wax/sealant once a month?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Large in SS table gets covered. No regrets. Especially during pollen season.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    Options
    I have my Egg at a vacation home that is not is use in the winter, so when I leave for 4 months, I cover the Egg.  I would not use a cover if I used the Egg at least once a week.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,231
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Clay/wax/sealant once a month?
    @JohnInCarolina whatever you do, don’t use Zaino  ;)
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Same, but if I don't dry it well it gets a little chafey. Baby powder takes care of that.
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    I cover mine with a cheap $6 cover from Lowe’s. It’s generic black. Has a zip tie to cinch it up. And is so cheap and functional that it doesn’t draw the eye of the drunk frat bar hoppers who like to steal stuff off porches and throw them in neighbors’ yards. 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,192
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Lived in frigid snow country and in dry desert and never covered any of my eggs.  A quick wipe down with simple green and eggs look new.  Only issue I have is my wooden handles look old and faded.

Cover if you want too, but it is not necessary.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • SandyHookEgger
    Options
    I cover mine all year. Especially glad it is covered during pollen season.
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    My Egg lives under a roof - no cover.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    Options
    …Only issue I have is my wooden handles look old and faded.
    Sand, and a coat of polyurethane….
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,991
    Options
    I even cover my Weber which I use to store my egg stuff, as well as both my BGEs. OCD? Yeah. I cook with them almost daily, so they do spend several hours uncovered. Not too much snow here, just an occasional freak snowstorm, but we do get ice. I even break out the @DoubleEgger golf tees, for the lids to keep them from freezing shut. I cook on the BGEs year round in all weather.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    I even cover my Weber which I use to store my egg stuff, as well as both my BGEs. OCD? Yeah. I cook with them almost daily, so they do spend several hours uncovered. Not too much snow here, just an occasional freak snowstorm, but we do get ice. I even break out the @DoubleEgger golf tees, for the lids to keep them from freezing shut. I cook on the BGEs year round in all weather.
    I used to cover my kettle, until the cover disintegrated. Never replaced the cover so it's been out in many New England winters with none. It's still perfectly serviceable, but is finally starting to show it's age now. But it's a tin can, not a ceramic grill. And it took a really long time.

My biggest problem with egg covers is the amount of time the egg spends without one! Crank up the egg for dinner and, by the time it's cool enough to put the cover on, I have forgotten all about it or I'm already in bed or it's too cold or it's raining, or, or, or. So, maybe I'll remember to cover it in the morning. Or maybe I won't. Then it's time to cook again and the cycle starts over.

I don't really remember how many times I used the cover I bought, but it wasn't too long before I gave up. Besides, the rain keeps it clean and the Rutland (I'm convinced) keeps it from freezing shut in the winter.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut