Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cold smoking some cheese ... beats the shop's cheese counter!

Options
2»

Comments

• Budaman5000
    Options
    That looks really good will have to try it...
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    I really like Poacher, not tried smoked though. On the other side, I hate Old Amsterdam, but we usually have it in the fridge because Anne likes it and she does the shopping.

Wensleydale is a favourite of mine, crumbly. I would guess this would be good with smoke, as you confirm!
  • Stormbringer
    Options
    Eoin said:
    I really like Poacher, not tried smoked though. On the other side, I hate Old Amsterdam, but we usually have it in the fridge because Anne likes it and she does the shopping.

Wensleydale is a favourite of mine, crumbly. I would guess this would be good with smoke, as you confirm!
    I also am not a fan of Old Amsterdam either, but with the smoke I really liked it. Definitely worth trying. Going back to Waitrose later for more cheese. :)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    Woodchunk said:
    Stucci62 said:
    Where did all of you get your cold smoking rigs, this is something that I have been wanting to try and I believe that I have finally found my motivation!

Tubes and trays. I use the tray
    https://www.amazon.com/A-MAZE-N-AMNPS5X8-Pellet-Smoker/dp/B007ROPJ1M
    My tray smoker was delivered yesterday, going to break it in today!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Woodchunk
    Options
    Woodchunk said:
    Stucci62 said:
    Where did all of you get your cold smoking rigs, this is something that I have been wanting to try and I believe that I have finally found my motivation!

Tubes and trays. I use the tray
    https://www.amazon.com/A-MAZE-N-AMNPS5X8-Pellet-Smoker/dp/B007ROPJ1M
    My tray smoker was delivered yesterday, going to break it in today!
    Nice, pictures please
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,072
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I finally found a blue cheese that I like smoked, including when it's been wrapped for a while, hurrah! It's Shropshire Blue, smoked specifically with whiskey oak, i.e. oak dust made from whiskey barrels. The aromatics of the whiskey balance very nicely with the wood, and the flavour of the cheese.

I suspect that this cheese would be difficult to find in the USA (@Eoin I got this from Waitrose), this is what it looks like (picture from cheese.com):

| Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,113
    Options
    I did this batch Christmas Eve.  I sealed them all and we ate some on NYE and the crowd loved them.  Still have some mellowing for later.

Pepper Jack
    (2) Cheddar
    Blue Cheese Brie
    (2) Gouda

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    How long do yall let the smoked cheese mellow in foodsaver bags? I have been cold smoking for years now (mainly bacon, nuts, ketchup, etc). The few times I have done cheese it was too smoky even after a decent mellow time. Dont recall the length of time I went but perhaps to long. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Cheese looks great!

@Chubbs - I don't like the cheese overly smokey so I let it go about 1.5 to 2 hours depending on how much smoke the amaz-n-smoker is putting out. I use their pitmaster blend of pellets I think its called. Then I will rinse the cheese with cold water, pat dry and vac seal. Leave it sealed for 2 weeks minimum and it lasts a really long time. 

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,113
    Options
    Time to eating-
    Immediately- Didnt know any better and we didnt like it.
    1 week- Guests loved it- I thought the Gouda was still a bit acrid
    2 weeks- will try some this weekend.

After reading here I may cut down on how much time (I did two hours).
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Hoster05
    Hoster05 Posts: 312
    Options
    I got an amazn tube smoker for Christmas and would like to cold smoke some cheese, nuts, fish etc.  I do have a couple of questions for the group.

- do you only light the tube smoker when cold smoking? you don't light a small piece of charcoal or anything correct?  I am up in Minneapolis so if I were to cold smoke cheese today without a small lump setup, it would be coldddd smoked at about -5 degrees.

- Do I need to vac seal the cheese to settle out or can i wrap in saran wrap and tinfoil and refrigerate to mellow out?
    Mankato, MN - LBGE
  • Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Just the tube is all that's needed. We use Saran Wrap then into ziplocks

fish is raw, much different than a product that's ready to eat

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Cheese looks great!

@Chubbs - I don't like the cheese overly smokey so I let it go about 1.5 to 2 hours depending on how much smoke the amaz-n-smoker is putting out. I use their pitmaster blend of pellets I think its called. Then I will rinse the cheese with cold water, pat dry and vac seal. Leave it sealed for 2 weeks minimum and it lasts a really long time. 
    Thank you sir. Will give it a whirl
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013