Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

There's Got To Be A Rule About This...

Options
that_dude_Dave
that_dude_Dave Posts: 55
edited October 2017 in Beef
I don't know what it is, but every damn time I do a brisket overnight and start it at like 10 or 11 o'clock, it's done and the temp alarm is waking me up at like 6 am. BUT, if I start one at like 9am, it's still going at around 11 or midnight that night. EVERY DAMN TIME!!! Is there some nighttime cooking time warp that I'm unaware of?? I'm only asking because once again, I'm sitting here waiting for at least another hour on this brisket, I'm in the 13th hour...
St. Louis Barbeque Society certified competition judge

XL and MiniMax

Comments

• GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    I have noticed this phenomenon as well.    Probably has to do with leaving the dome shut.   Middle of the day brisket cooks I catch myself opening every few hours to check on it.  
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • that_dude_Dave
    Options
    I don't, at least not for about 6 hours to check temp the first time and it's at like 140... world's longest stall...

XL and MiniMax
  • that_dude_Dave
    Options
    DMW said:
    When it's dark out, the dragons roam. When they find meat in a smoker, they open the dome and roast it with their ephemeral flame. During the daylight, they don't do that.
    that's probably the most logical explanation! 

XL and MiniMax
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    DMW said:
    When it's dark out, the dragons roam. When they find meat in a smoker, they open the dome and roast it with their ephemeral flame. During the daylight, they don't do that.
    that's probably the most logical explanation! 
    I am logical, if nothing else. That's probably why I don't have many friends...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • that_dude_Dave
    Options
    Me either, but I figure it's more because of my brutal honesty than anything. Everyone wants you to be honest, until you are...

XL and MiniMax
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,381
    Options
    Next time split the difference and see what happens.  But always remember, "The friggin cow drives the cook."  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Best results I have had so far is to prep the brisket and go to bed, get up about 2, start the fire and have it stable by 3 and then back to bed for a while. 
    Im no expert but I also found overnight to be hard and during the day to not be enough. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Gym
    Gym Posts: 366
    Options
    It's gotta be the Dragon theory
  • that_dude_Dave
    Options
    15 hours on this cook, and it turned out amazing as usual, just the time it took... got to bed around 1 am because of it 

XL and MiniMax
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,381
    Options
    Nailed that one.  Great bark and ring.
    Hope you had a party lined up or that will dry out before your eyes.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Gym
    Gym Posts: 366
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Nailed that one.  Great bark and ring.
    Hope you had a party lined up or that will dry out before your eyes.  
    So true. I learned that the hard way
  • that_dude_Dave
    Options
    It does dry out, as all brisket will. However, if you throw it in a saucepan on super low heat and add a little bit of a good dark beer (porter or stout) then bring it up to temp slow then it gets nice and juicy again and has a pretty spectacular added flavor. I've reheated many slices this way and have yet to be disappointed. 

XL and MiniMax
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Have to ask...did you slice that by hand? If so, pretty good knife work right there. 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • that_dude_Dave
    Options
    jabam said:
    Have to ask...did you slice that by hand? If so, pretty good knife work right there. 
    yes I did, thank you! a good knife makes a world of difference 

XL and MiniMax
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Dave, I'll bet a paycheck you don't have a Kick-Ash basket.  Get one.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Markarm4119
    Options
    I cooked a 13 lbr, got up at 5 , fire rolling at 6, on at 7 at 300, no.peek until 1p.m., foiled at 2pulled at 5, 198 degrees FTC, for 2 hours ate at 7:30 for what is worth, all cooks a little different.
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.