Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First smoked salmon success

Options
KennyLee
KennyLee Posts: 806

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

Comments

• KennyLee
    Options

2.25 lb. farm raised salmon filet

Dry brine overnight (12 hrs.) w/sugar, brown sugar, kosher salt, pepper

Pull, rinse and pat dry before adding 1.5 tbsp. of DP Raging River rub

Let sit at room temp for 2-3 hours

Mix lump and apple wood chunks and bring temp to 200* and back down to 150-180

Once Egg is stabilized, put filet on for 2-3 hours or until internal reaches 150* at thickest point. 

Turned out great!  Only complaint was it was a little salty for my taste mainly because I left it in the brine for 12 hours and should have pulled it after 8.  Served with rice pilaf. 

LBGE

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Looks great- for future reference you can soak in water after the dry brine to dial back the saltiness

This continues to be one of my favorite things off the egg. 

Greensboro, NC
  • KennyLee
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    Looks great- for future reference you can soak in water after the dry brine to dial back the saltiness

This continues to be one of my favorite things off the egg. 

Thanks for the tip!  Yeah was afraid I left it too long but went with it anyway.  Never thought of soaking for a bit.  Still really happy with the first try.  Been wanting to do this for a long time, but wife is not a salmon fan.

LBGE

• Carhoch
    Carhoch Posts: 20
    Options
    I am always surprise of the long cooking time some of you guys post I cook mine at 200° for 1 hour and it’s always moist and delicious.
    Suffolk,VA .XLBGE ,Blackstone griddle.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    It’s a texture thing- I cook mine at 185 for 10 hrs or so. 

Greensboro, NC
  • KennyLee
    Options

Mine was on for exactly 2 hrs.  Was planning on 3, but checked it at 2 and it was beyond done (165-175* IT). 

10 hours Wolfpack?  Dang.....another hour to two, I'm afraid mine would have been like an old boot.

Even better news is the wife tried it when she got home and liked it even though she's not a salmon fan traditionally.  I'll be doing this one again soon.   

LBGE

• Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Carhoch said:
    I am always surprise of the long cooking time some of you guys post I cook mine at 200° for 1 hour and it’s always moist and delicious.
    I think most are cooking the fish. Curing fish by smoking takes many hours at a very low temp. I used to shoot for 90-110 and for large filets it could take 6 to 8 hours. And yes, rinse the filets after brine, dry, and place on a rack to air dry for a couple hours or more. Baste with a mix of melted butter, liquid smoke, and lots of pepper during the curing process
  • etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    Options
    1-1.5 hours at 225-250 is all that’s needed for me 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic