Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Cali wildfires, no bueno...

Options
2»

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,494
    Options
    Ah, this happened LAST year; still, very disturbing.
    Sunday, my Dish TV switched to SD due to "weather conditions"; it was dead calm, no clouds, but I couldn't see any "blue" sky; it was all smoke.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Botch said:
    Ah, this happened LAST year; still, very disturbing.
    Sunday, my Dish TV switched to SD due to "weather conditions"; it was dead calm, no clouds, but I couldn't see any "blue" sky; it was all smoke.  
    There's another one this year.
    http://google.org/crisismap/google.com/2018-carr-fire

Hit really close to my in-laws. My wife and kids were out there. My brother-in-law and nephew both work at Shasta Dam. Things are a mess. For a few days, no one could get there and the dam had to go black. Now official personnel can get past roadblocks with gov ID, but things are a mess. At one point my nephew left his house in Redding with his pets and valuables to stay with his folks for a few days when it was close. He's back at his place now, but it will be a mess for awhile. My BIL is loaning a place he has to a co-worker whose place burned while his co-worker finds another rental place.

Operation BBQ Relief has deployed, if you have a spare dollar or so, toss it their way.
    https://operationbbqrelief.org/ 
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    @lkapajian luckily the fires have stayed away from Santa Rosa so far. But this sucks, have you noticed the layer of smoke over the Valley?
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,769
    Options
    jabam said:
    @lkapajian luckily the fires have stayed away from Santa Rosa so far. But this sucks, have you noticed the layer of smoke over the Valley?
    Every morning the car is covered in ash
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Wylecyot
    Wylecyot Posts: 203
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I am born and raised in So Cal.  I've been evacuated a couple times due to fires and feel for your daughter.  Glad she is safe.  We drive though the central coast and are vacationing in Tahoe.  The smoke from all the fires is heartbreaking.  Prayers are with everyone who is impacted!
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, 36" Blackstone Griddle Blackstone Tailgater and Roccbox owner/operator from Los Angeles
  • DMW
    Options
    Wylecyot said:
    I am born and raised in So Cal.  I've been evacuated a couple times due to fires and feel for your daughter.  Glad she is safe.  We drive though the central coast and are vacationing in Tahoe.  The smoke from all the fires is heartbreaking.  Prayers are with everyone who is impacted!
    Prayers are great, I've been saying them myself. OBR is onsite delivering food to those in need. Considering contributing. https://operationbbqrelief.org/

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • lkapigian
    Options
    DMW said:
    Wylecyot said:
    Prayers are great, I've been saying them myself. OBR is onsite delivering food to those in need. Considering contributing. https://operationbbqrelief.org/

Thanks @DMW
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • DMW
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    DMW said:
    Wylecyot said:

Thanks @DMW
    This one really hit close. My Mother-In-Law is laid to rest in a Veteran's cemetery that was at risk. We all know she isn't actually there, but still. The destruction the Carr fire has delivered is pretty crazy.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    When we were there during the first week of July, you could see it from the 5 heading south to Sacramento. It had been going for a while then. Having spent an appreciable amount of time out west in my 60 years, and experiencing wildfires first hand, I just knew this one was going to be bad, even as remote as it was at that time.
    Sending a donation.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    Thanks @DMW.  Donation sent.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jabam
    Options
    https://youtu.be/qi6dAPBvyYU

I believe this is on the 405 in LA
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,981
    Options
    jabam said:

From last year, right?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • jabam
    Options
    Yes that is from last year.  
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Tragic, be safe all.
  • lkapigian
    Options
    jabam said:

From last year, right?
    S
    I'm about 20 miles from j@jabam we are
    80 miles or so fro the nearest and we live in a valley AKA soup bowl, not sure if you can see how bad, but this is a few minutes ago, it's like dusk

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    This is just sad. All the best to those effected or in the way of these fires.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Pretty bad when you can take a direct picture into the sun and it doesn't blind you 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    For anyone thinking about volunteering to help OBR in Redding, the 8/6-8/8 dates are probably your best chance.  Here’s the current details from their volunteer app:

I’ve been trying to get an afternoon and morning shift for a few days but I can’t seem to get off of standby status. I’m glad they have no shortage of volunteers. 
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    @R2Egg2Q - good for you.  I hope you are successful.  
    A few forum members volunteered last year when the hurricane/flood hit Texas.  Based on their posts, OBR knows how to get it done.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Pretty bad when you can take a direct picture into the sun and it doesn't blind you 

Yeah, we went through an evacuation last October at our house during the Canyon Fire here in OC.  I was out mountain biking on a windy day right above where the fire started and had no clue, luckily I was off the trails before it jumped to the side I was on.  After my ride I stopped at my local pizzeria for lunch and saw the smoke begin to rise.

I rushed home and got my then 8+ months pregnant wife and 2 year old on there way while I stayed back and got some docs out to evacuate and hosed down some areas of concern for embers.  

Things were looking ok so my wife and kid came back only for things to turn our direction again so I packed us all in the car at 10pm and evacuated for the night.  We got lucky but some nearby neighbors lost their homes.

View of the apocalyptic sun while standing in the driveway and a view out our front door.